1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

connecting off-air HDTV antenna to Pioneer VSX-9040-TXH home theater receiver

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by dc63, Feb 26, 2010.

1. dc63

dc63 Auditioning

I'm hoping someone can weigh in with some advice...

I've used an external antenna for free off-air HDTV and used to run it directly into my Samsung LCD HDTV (model LN52A650). I finally bought an A/V receiver and was surprised to see that there is no obvious place to use off-air HDTV antenna as a "source" for the TV. The only coaxial-type inputs are a "Coaxial IN DVD" which is evidently for sound only, and a coaxial input for FM antenna. Anyone use off-air HDTV with their home theater receivers, and anyone have any suggestions. The reception is sensational, btw; better than cable with no compression artifact, etc.

Thanks!

2. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Screenwriter

Ed
    You connect the antenna to the tv, then use an audio output from tv to A/V receiver. I couldn't get the manual to load, but it probably has an optical output on the back? You'll use that to get 5.1 surround from your HD channels, while using an antenna.

3. dc63

dc63 Auditioning

Thanks, Ed; you're a genius! There's a "digital audio OUT OPTICAL" on the back of the Samsung LCD, just like you said. But how does the receiver know what video signal it's getting? Or would it default to the antenna if it's not an HDMI source, for example? And the "source" I tell the receiver I'm using when I'm just watching off-air HD would just be the input jack for that digital audio cable?

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    1. It won't get a video signal. It will only receive the audio from the TV. No reason to feed the video to the receiver.
    2. I'm not sure about your receiver but mine doesn't default to anything. You have to configure each input.
    3. Correct. See #2. You have to configure your receiver to use the proper input. My recevier doesn't have HDMI inputs so I use it mostly for audio only. I have a couple of my DVRs running into digital CD inputs. I don't really care about what label the receiver assigns to my input as long as it properly decodes the audio signal. I also don't care about the labels because I use a Harmony remote to control everything. No need to remember that my HR20-100 DVR uses my receiver's digital input, the HDMI switch box needs to be set for input C and the projector needs to be set to HDMI 1 input. The remote does everything for me.

5. dc63

dc63 Auditioning

Thanks very much, Robert_J! Is there a risk of the audio being out of sync because the audio is running through the receiver and the video is not? In other words, would it be better for me to have a cheaper (? older) receiver that might have a (HD)TV antenna input? We really love the off-air HD (well, for as long as it lasts) and we do a lot more of that than watching DVDs, for example, so I'd hate to screw that up...

6. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    The audio will be leaving the TV at 670,616,629 mph (speed of light). You will have a 3.3ns (nanosecond) delay while it covers the 1 meter distance between the TV and receiver. Adjust accordingly if the optical cable is longer or shorter.

Audio/video receivers do not have antenna inputs because none of them have ATSC tuners in them.

Let's see. NTSC broadcast standards lasted from 1941 to 2009. ATSC broadcast standards were adopted in 1996 and became the only broadcast standard in 2009 when NTSC was shut off. What makes you think that it won't last as long at NTSC?

7. dc63

dc63 Auditioning

Thanks again; that of course makes sense about the audio/video sync -- just wanted to make sure that it'd be fine. I didn't know if there would be some processing delay or some such thing (3 ns I think I can live with!) but glad to hear that's not the case.

About the off-air HD, I just started hearing rumors in the news, etc., that it might be terminated in the next 1 - 3 years. Then I assumed because it's free and it's good that it couldn't actually last. We're not big cable/satellite fans...

8. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Please post links to the news stories you have read. I hang out at other forums that are hard core HDTV sites and this is the first I have heard of this.

9. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Screenwriter

Ed
    They keep running commercials on tv to go to http://keepfreetvfree.com/ and let them know you want to keep free tv free. Maybe contact your congressman too. Even though I don't use it myself, I think they should keep it free for local channels. Too many people can't get cable and can't afford satellite, so why take free tv away from them?