What's new

Connecting harman kardon receiver to Samsung tv (1 Viewer)

DexterDog

Auditioning
Real Name
Heather Campbell
Hi, have just bought Samsung tv model ue55es8000u and am trying to get sound to play through my harman kardon receiver model 340. I have connected tv and receiver with both component and hdmi cables and cannot get the two things to connect. Any suggestions what I am doing wrong?
Using component lead I connected av in from tv to vid1 to both in and out on the amp.
Using hdmi cable I connected harman kardon DVD to play thru tv, picture and sound fine. There is no hdmi cable connector on back of my amp.
Thank-you for your help.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Why is there an HDMI cable involved if the receiver doesn't have HDMI?
What sources are you trying to use? (cable/sat, DVD/BD, computer...OTA)

DexterDog

Auditioning
Real Name
Heather Campbell
I tried the HDMI cable after checking out some tips on the web. All mentioned linking HDMI cable. Thought maybe linking HDMI to DVD player to receiver might achieve something. It didn't!
I am a novice at this.
Really want to connect receiver direct to TV by connecting three-way Component In link to TV. I have tried connecting the Component In at back of TV to Component video inputs, video 1 component video inputs and Video 2 component video inputs at back of receiver. I also connected audio input section at back of tv to first audio in and then audio out on back of receiver.
No sound resulted with any of these.

Frank A

Stunt Coordinator
That looks like a pretty nice receiver. What is your set up? 5.1? What sources you have coming into the HK receiver? From what I read, the receiver does not have either an hdmi or dvi hookup, so any hdmi/dvi hookups need to go directly from the source (i.e. cable/sat box, dvd player, etc.) to the tv. Then hook up your audio cables (analog, coaxial, optical) from your sources to the receiver, then out to speakers (not tv),
Then you might need to go into the avr settings to make sure things are going where you want them to go.
Your component (video only) can either go through your receiver or directly to your tv (if it has component hookups). What source(s) is your component coming from (sat/cable box/dvd, etc.)? Do you only have one source for the component cable(s)?
Well, good luck.

DexterDog

Auditioning
Real Name
Heather Campbell
Hi, thank-you for your responses. The source direct to the tv is from satellite (Freesat). I think the change I need to make is to connect the tv, using digital audio out jack, to the receiver's optical digital input. The receiver controls our 5.1 surround sound system.
What I have found is that the Harman Kardon DVD player is playing DVDs fine, with picture on tv and sound simultaneously coming through tv and surround sound system, via receiver.
does this seem to make sense? I will have to. Source the optical cable before I can try this solution - frustrating!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Component video is video only...
Your freesat needs to be connected to BOTH the TV and AVR.
Unfortunately, since we now know you have a cable box...Turning on the HDMI on the freesat is probably "killing" all other outputs...(read the manual as "enabling HDMI" probably "disables everything else")
Which means you may have to connect your freesat to the TV via component video and toslink to the AVR.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks