What's new

Connecting Chromecast to AVR (1 Viewer)

RajCaj

Grip
Real Name
Jason
I have a Chromecast, that I've previously had hooked up directly to my TV's HDMI port. It functions properly, in regard to automatically switching to the appropriate TV input when a Chromecast session is activated via smart phone, tablet, PC.

I've recently purchased a new AVR, and attempted to connect it to the AVR HDMI port instead. I was able to stream content to it, and have it play on my TV w/ audio, but required me to manually switch to the appropriate HDMI port for it to come up. It did not automatically switch to the HDMI port the Chromecast was plugged into, when I initiated a Chromecast session.

All that said, has anyone had experience with hooking your Chromecast directly to your AVR? Were you able to get it to automatically switch to the Chromecast when casting an app, or Chrome tab?

Any other feedback on how I might be able to set this up?

I have a Yamaha RX-V675 AVR & a Samsung UN46B8000XF LED HDTV

RajCaj

Grip
Real Name
Jason
schan1269 said:
What's your issue with pushing buttons?
Convienence?

The way the Chromecast device works is that it will automatically switch to the appropriate input, and can also turn your TV on if it's powered off, when you "cast" content from your mobile device or PC to the Chromecast.

I'd like to maintain that functionality, and improve audio quality by connecting the Chromecast dongle directly to the AVR, if I can.

If not, no big deal....I'll just have to determine whether I want upconverted 5.1 w/ the convienence of not having to locate the TV / AVR remote before consuming content via Chromecast.......or if I want to sacrafice that convienence for getting true DD 5.1.

However, if I can get both....then the world is a happy place. Being a bit of a novice in all of this, I figured I'd check with the SMEs on these forums that may know better than I.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yamaha has CEC. Turn it on.The chromecast isn't doing anything to your TV. You have its CEC on...which is what is causing the input switching.

RajCaj

Grip
Real Name
Jason
schan1269 said:
Yamaha has CEC. Turn it on.The chromecast isn't doing anything to your TV. You have its CEC on...which is what is causing the input switching.
Perfect, thanks for the feedback. I'll check my user manual turn CEC on for the Yamaha AVR.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks