What's new

Connect DTV and BR to HTiB at same time (1 Viewer)

brothaz

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
Hello,

I have a problem that I'm hoping someone can help me with. I have a Samsung PN51D6500 TV, Sony BDPS 3100 Bluray player, DirecTV box, and a oldish Samsung HT-Z420 DVD HTiB system. See pictures below.

As has been stated on here many times, I need to have the audio go through the home theater to have 5.1. However, the HTiB system only has OPTICAL IN, while the bluray player and DTV box have COAXIAL OUT. I have the adapter that converts coaxial to optical and a y-adapter (actually tried 2 - the Mediabridge and the generic one from Radio Shack), and have been successful getting the sound from the DTV box or bluray to play if only one is connected. However, if I have both plugged into the y-adapter, the bluray sound will not come through. This is, of course, with the DTV box off. This leaves me switching it manually, but there has the be a way right?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Matt

hr21-pro-back.jpg

x158BDP3100-B.jpg

x305HTZ420-o_play-.jpeg

81gem5xGNwL._SL1500_.jpg

pRS1C-2266316w345.jpg

41z7YPAsb6L._SX342_.jpg

brothaz

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
Thanks for the quick reply. Just so I understand, when I use the switch, I'd press the button to chose whichever input device I'm using? Do they make automatic ones (can that even be possible?)? Also are there ones with IR so a remote can can control it?Thanks again

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yep. Pick one if the video colors...ignore the rest.Digital coax, composite and component(in triplicate) is all the same cable.

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
Hi, well another option is would be to get another receiver. you can get a good cheap one price wise at accessories for less..?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks