What's new

Confused: PS3 versus Standalone Player (1 Viewer)

Rick Westfall

Stunt Coordinator
I need someone to walk me through this. If my price range is $400, what is the advantage to getting a standalone blu-ray player instead of a PS3. Even if I don't plan on playing games at first, I would have the ability to do so. Unless I'm missing something, I don't see why you wouldn't choose a PS3. Did I miss something?

Thanks
Rick

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
I purchased the 80GB PS3 because it does so much, media server, music server, Blu-ray player, SACD player, game console and DVD player among other things. If the 40GB at $100 less does all you need, I think it is fine as well. I do believe several standalone Blu-ray players provide better picture quality than the PS3 based on the reviews I have read online but that isn't enough to overcome the fact the PS3 can do so much more for me. The Panasonic DMP-BD30 might be a better overall Blu-ray player, it is profile 1.1, passes DTS-HD MA over HDMI 1.3 and the Panasonic players have been really good so far so if you need nothing but Blu-ray playback, the Pansonic player might be the best choice. As far as any comparison to the Sony standalone players, Samsung standalone players or Philips standalone players, the PS3 wins easily in my opinion. You can purchase the Samsung BD-P1400 for $300 online now and it might be worth that price if it does the things you need.

Chris

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Some folks are prejudice against having a game machine as a BR player. The Ps3 won't be able to pass bitstream audio which troubles me.

That all said, I like my 60 gig ps3. I'll eventually buy a standalone and the Panasonic is at the top of my list.

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt
One disadvantage with the PS3 is that it looks like a gaming system. While it is a very nice piece of equipment, it does not blend in well with a component rack. Unfortunately, my stereo rack, which used to look nice and old school, is now a strange mix of components (Receiver, SACD, Turntable) and gaming systems used mostly for HD (PS3, Xbox). I still appreciate a well well styled component system, and mine no longer measures up. :frowning:

Rick Westfall

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the input and I will continue to welcome more. On the point of the looks of the system, that is not a concern of mine. The rack sits behind the seating area so it won't bother me, but I do understand how that would bother most.

I'm not technical enough to understand all of this. "Not passing bitstream audio" is like reading a foreign language, so I guess I won't notice that issue...

FrankT

Stunt Coordinator
Go for the PS3. One thing is that you may have to buy a different remote if you do not like using the controller for movies (it is only 20 bucks or something though). I think Harmony remotes or other remotes may have work arounds if you use them.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I would also recommend the ps3. there has been reports that some bluray titles have problems playing on the stand alone player.. less problems with the ps3. ps3 will be getting the 1.1 so it can do the pip if that is your thing.. some stand alone might not be able to do that.

what kind of receiver do you have (sound system). if you are using optical.. then you should be okay.. it will turn your sound into DTS when playing the new sound. it will still sound fine.

I have the 80gb.. works out great.

Jacob

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Does the PS3 output YCrCb component video or does it require HDMI? If it does component out, how's the quality of that?

I have an old HD RPTV w/ just HD component inputs, no HDMI.

_Man_

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
For component out from the PS3 you need to get a seperately sold PS3 Component cable. The quality with the compnent cable is very good and is probably as good as it is with HDMI..

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I was about to buy a PS3 (even at a higher price) and only didn't because of the region coding thing. If that doesn't affect you, the PS3 seems a more efficient choice.

If you place it closely behind the seating area, you also need to consider the fan noise. Reports about that are varying. Some say it can be distracting, others say it's not relevant.

Cees

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

Not passing the bitstream refers to the fact that HDMI 1.3 allows the digital data streams for DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD, two compressed lossless audio formats, to be transmitted over the connection for decoding by a separate decoder. Both player and external decoder must be HDMI 1.3 compliant and be able to do their part. At least two players so far, the Samsung BD-P1400 and Panasonic DMP-BD30 can pass the bitstream and some new receivers from Onkyo, Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer and probably a couple of others can decode it. It is now apparent the PS3 will never be able to pass this bitstream. It is being reported that the PS3 will be updated soon to be able to decode the audio internally and pass decoded audio over HDMI to HDMI 1.1 and above external amplifiers that can handle lossless PCM. If true, that is good enough for me, but it isn't clear yet what all of this might mean and some potential real advantage to having HDMI 1.3 external decoding might exist. I just don't know what that would be.

Lossless audio just means better quality that might be audible to you and might not be audible compared to the lossy formats like Dolby Digital and DTS. With the PS3 we should ultimately be able to play all lossless audio formats, just not pass it for decding by an external decoder. Deal killer or not? Important or not? I think not but I don't know for sure at this point.

As far as the noise, I sit about 2 feet from my PS3 and can't hear it at all. I have to press my ear to it for the noise to be audible enough to bother me.

As far as the region coding thing with the PS3 and any Blu-ray player for that matter, as all US players honor the single region coding aspect for Blu-ray when it is used, I don't understand the complaint by Cees. I have not seen any Blu-ray players yet that will play multiple region coding, but it has been reported that the European version of the Samsung BD-P1400 will play two regions. That issue means nothing in my opinion in any event. Fox insists on using single region coding often, maybe always. Disney, Sony, New Line and maybe another company or two have used single region coding some. HD DVD doesn't use single region coding. This just means that Blu-ray discs released for region A can only be played in players manufactured for region A. The same holds true for region B and region C. As far as I know no company has yet released a title in the US with single region coding on Blu-ray and then the same company released the same title on HD DVD playable on all-region players. Only New Line has announced that some titles will show up on Blu-ray with single region coding then be released later on HD DVD with all region playback. Personally, I believe the issue is no advantage for HD DVD and only means HD DVD won't be releasing any titles that require single region coding, like those from Fox, not that any company will give in and release the title on HD DVD despite requiring single region coding. It is the owner of the rights that gets to decide whether or not to use single region coding and no laws exist anywhere to force them to give up that right and release the title without it. Warner releases all region playable software on both formats and is the only remaining major neutral studio and I expect Warner to always use all region playback but expect that Warner will end neutrality soon in any event.

Chris

robocop2001

Auditioning
Real Name
Don
I have a PS3 (60GB) that I bought specificly for the BD player. I absoulutely love it. I love the fact that Sony keeps improving it with firmware updates. Right now I don't do any gamming on it. The only thing I didn't like was that the remote had to be purchased seperately. I just couldn't get the hang of the game controller.

Patrick.C

Second Unit
If I were shopping for a Blu player today, I would either by a PS3 or nothing. From what I understand, its the only player available right now that has any hope of compliance with the final Blu 2.0 spec.

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt

True, but at least it is a pretty nice quality remote. My only gripe with mine is that it will turn the player on if I accidentally hit one of the keys.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

You have to assume that Profile 2.0 is important to the purchaser and more important than the things the PS3 can't do and will never do. For me, I think the PS3 is terrific, but not everbody agrees.

Chris

djsHTnut

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Daniel
Does the PS3 decode the new Audio foramts internally now? Or is that in the works and waiting for firmware update?

Thanks.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor

I haven't seen any reviews to that effect. I've only read Internet rumors. All the reviews I've read say the BR PQ on the PS3 in comparable to any other player.

I tried 2 60GB and 1 80GB PS3s. I ultimately returned them all due to fan noise. Some say the 40GB is more quiet, but many said the 60GB & 80GB were quiet, too, but that wasn't my experience.

Doug

Hartwig Hanser

Second Unit
For me fan noise is also the deciding factor not to buy a PS3 (I am not a gamer). Also the high power consumption. Somebody like me who just wants playing the new high definition discs, something like the Sharp or the new Panasonic players are more appealing

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks