What's new

Confirmed: Spielberg alters "E.T." (1 Viewer)

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Simple: it's a double standard. People only critcize changes to films that they don't like (the changes that is, not the film itself). Why haven't people critsized James Cameron's changes in Aliens, The Abyss, or T2? Why hasn't anyone criticized the fact that the theatrical cut of TPM isn't availible on DVD?
There also wasn't a single complaint about the Lawrence Of Arabia DVD which had several things removed from the original theatrical version.
Jeff

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
There also wasn't a single complaint about the Lawrence Of Arabia DVD which had several things removed from the original theatrical version.
If I recall correctly, there actually were complaints about this. One of the restorers posted on the forum stating that the theatrical version was their intention, but factors beyond their control prevented it.
------------------
My DVD's
If a movie is not available in OAR, than it might as well not be available at all.

Brad Cook

Stunt Coordinator
"What country do you live in? "
Uh, the same one you live in. What is up with smart ass questions around here? Do some people think it's okay to just ask crap like this because they disagree with someone?
"If the cop thinks the kid (you don't specify the age group) may be dangerous or have a weapon, absolutely.
Remember, Elliot isn't alone, but with a group of teenagers. This stuff happens all the time (cops pointing guns at kids-teenagers). Age doesn't eliminate threat, although the younger the suspect, the less the threat is."
Well, I'm curious just how often it happens. It seems to me that if the kids aren't violent, E.T. hasn't exhibited signs of violence, and the adults aren't violently resisting, then I wonder why the need for guns. They could just as easily grab the kids. And the one they need is Elliott anyway, who could easily be grabbed and held.
Do we ever see the agents point a gun at one of the kids and tell him to stop? I don't recall that ever happening.
Then again, looking at this another way, perhaps the agents would have been concerned that E.T. could have some kind of weapon. I could see them worried about "force beams" coming from his eyes or something, since they have no idea what they're dealing with.
"As a father I'm not against the gun version of E.T."
As a father myself, I'm not against it either. I'm just questioning whether or not the removal of the guns actually makes the scene more realistic, since I wonder whether or not the agents would be brandishing guns in the first place. You would expect them to have guns under their jackets, but not necessarily be carrying rifles.
I think I need to go out and rent the current VHS version of this film and take a look at it before I make up my mind on this one.
- Brad

David James

Stunt Coordinator
The changes don't bother me and won't influence my decision to buy the DVD one way or another. If they bother you, fine, don't buy/rent/go see the movie. I've come to realize I don't have the same level of passion for the "historical purity" of movies as others and I'm glad for that I simply enjoy them for what they are. The guns in E.T., the added scenes in Star Wars or the "inside the mothership" ending in Close Encounters don't boil my blood. I love my home theater, but it's simply entertainment to me. I'm not going to miss the opportunity to enjoy a movie because a few seconds or minutes may be different from an earlier version.
A very important issue for some, and less for others. An honest disagreement among enthusiasts for quite some time now and I expect will continue.

DanR

Supporting Actor
I don't know if it has been mentioned, and I'm not reading through nine pages of this debate to see if it was, but ET (that's Entertainment Tonight) will have a huge special on this new version of ET for their show on November 1st. This will be a good chance to see what they've done with it.
Just a heads up for those interested.
Regards,
Dan

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
quote: In fact, the Star Trek: TMP edits are acceptable to me because the original stuff is all on the second disc. Were that not the case, I would certainly vent my outrage, regardless of the extent/effect of the changes. As it is, I still have the original.[/quote]
How do you figure? Isn't that like saying that because you have cheese, tomato sauce, and dough, you still have a pizza? The fact remains that unless you do some serious self-editing onto a recordable DVD drive, you can't watch the original movie. You can see PARTS of it, but you can't go through the same experience.
I don't think that the inclusion of the original scenes in any way compensates for their alteration. In fact, I think it's totally irrelevant in this regard. It might be fun to see the old footage, but it certainly doesn't allow me to watch it within the proper contest.
(BTW, 225+ posts and 10 pages later, a thread I started is still going strong. This is a first for me - I'm so proud of my little baby!)
Colin Jacobson
DVD Movie Guide http://www.dvdmg.com
[Edited last by Colin Jacobson on October 31, 2001 at 09:05 PM]

Mike Hoak

Auditioning
I think the answer to our little E.T. problem may have been found. USA Today has a piece on E.T. that reads as follows:
"A special 20th anniversary edition of E.T. The Extraterrestrial coming to theaters next year will have new scenes and improved special effects. But when the DVD of the beloved film is released, both the Stephen Spielberg-tweaked E.T. and the 1982 original will be included by Universal, producer Kathleen Kennedy told USA Today Wednesday. Film historians had worried that updating the movie would make it impossible for future fans to experience the film as it first wowed audiences."

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
But when the DVD of the beloved film is released, both the Stephen Spielberg-tweaked E.T. and the 1982 original will be included by Universal, producer Kathleen Kennedy told USA Today Wednesday.
If this is for real, HALLELUJAH!
biggrin.gif
icon14.gif

------------------
The Dark Tower
jamaris1.jpg

Fearless Vampire Killers (1967)?

Matt Perkins

Stunt Coordinator
YESSSSS!!!
:) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Oh, and Colin:
The fact remains that unless you do some serious self-editing onto a recordable DVD drive, you can't watch the original movie.
Yup. Sure beats not having any record of the original, doesn't it?
EDIT: here's a link to the USA Today quotation ; scroll down to the 3rd item.
[Edited last by Matt Perkins on November 01, 2001 at 08:22 AM]

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
I think the answer to our little E.T. problem may have been found. USA Today has a piece on E.T. that reads as follows:
"A special 20th anniversary edition of E.T. The Extraterrestrial coming to theaters next year will have new scenes and improved special effects. But when the DVD of the beloved film is released, both the Stephen Spielberg-tweaked E.T. and the 1982 original will be included by Universal, producer Kathleen Kennedy told USA Today Wednesday. Film historians had worried that updating the movie would make it impossible for future fans to experience the film as it first wowed audiences."
Thanks Mike-you beat me to the punch.

Erik Pontius

Stunt Coordinator
I personally find pointing radios and cell phones at small children quite offensive.
elian_raid.jpg

[Edited last by Erik Pontius on November 01, 2001 at 01:10 PM]

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Yup. Sure beats not having any record of the original, doesn't it?
Most definitely! I just interpreted prior comments to indicate that the inclusion of the cut sequences on DVD Two was just the same/as good as having them back in the movie. They're nice to possess, but they still don't let you watch the original in its normal manner...
And if this dual-DVD release occurs, I'll be very pleased. I'm shocked to hear of it, honestly, as I thought there was no chance whatsoever this would happen. I hope I didn't bet anybody it wouldn't exist - I'll be in big trouble! :)
------------------
Colin Jacobson
DVD Movie Guide
www.dvdmg.com

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
If they actually shot at them, they'd be in a world of trouble.
No they wouldn't. They would be heros who captured an alien and saved millions of lives. And what kid is concerned with being grabbed by an FBI agent? "Oh no, don't grab me and take me home to my parents!" There's just no scare factor there, not even for little kids.
Anyway, this may all be moot now that news has surfaced of the original being included on the DVD. If so, I'll be the first in line to purchase it! I don't mind anyone altering my movies, as long as they give me a choice in which version I want to watch...
------------------
-Ryan (http://www.ryanwright.com )
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Users who are viewing this thread