What's new

CONFIRMED: Alien films coming in 2010 to Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
I'm excited to see these in HD IF they happen, but why anyone would assume Fox is going to include all the extras from the Quadrilogy set is mystifying. They've screwed up far too many BD discs than gotten them right.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I'd like to know also, from the studio itself though. I can do without another "revised" rumor that they're coming for sure "this" year.

The poor accuracy of these coming to Blu-ray rumors would be comical, if it wasn't so frustrating. I sometimes wonder if many of these rumored titles are just fabricated to temporarily placate current BD owners and entice potential BD buyers.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Actually, from my sources, the ALIEN films were slated for 2008
Blu-ray release. I heard back in late 2007 that they were already
being worked on and primed for BD release.

I would suspect they will probably be out in 2009.

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
Given Fox's recent trend of adding exclusive supplements to their catalog Blu-Ray discs, I'm wondering if we'll get anything new. Other than the complete Alien 3 documentary (which will no doubt NOT happen), I can't think of anything else they can do.

Other than the complete Ridleygrams gallery, Ridley's original 1999 DVD commentary, and the Alien Legacy documentary... maybe we'll get a commentary with Nick Redman, Jon Burlingame, and Jeff Bond, along with an isolated score in DTS 5.1 (at least for Alien). This year is Alien's 30th anniversary and would've been Jerry Goldsmith's 80th birthday.

After watching the Blade Runner features, it would be cool if they did a "Fans and Filmmakers" tribute piece putting the films (at least the first two) in their proper historical context with reflections from other writers, directors, and critics. Or a featurette about the merchandising (similar to the piece on the Planet of the Apes disc).

In any case, these films and the Trek films are already my most eagerly awaited Blu-Rays for '09.

Kris Z.

Stunt Coordinator
Will be interesting to see how these hold up in HD. The quadrilogy transfers are already quite a few years old and I don't suppose they've done new ones since then.

David (C)

Stunt Coordinator
*Theatrical Version 1992
*Special Edition 2003
*VHS/Test Audience Workprint [contains material not seen in any official release.]

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I disagree to this extent: The obviously 70s-era computer screens and such, which are an example of a beef I have with SF films in general: Laziness in showing futuristic instrumentation. Kubrick showed what could be done with a real effort more than 10 years earlier.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I think the computer displays in "Alien" still hold up pretty well. It's not like they look like a Mac or anything, but there are still programs I use in my job that are pretty much just green text on a black screen. For the purposes of just data readouts and basic graphical info, they're acceptable to me.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I'll be perfectly happy as long as we get decent image quality, lossless audio, and both versions of each film.

I'm a little worried about the picture quality on Aliens, though. That film's always been especially grainy, a look that I hope is preserved on Blu-ray. I fear it might be a candidate for a heavy dose of DVNR--but I've got my fingers crossed.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
I read somewhere that James Cameron was surprised how grainy Aliens looked when he saw it the dvd, so there could be less grain than there was. Also, it was the same transfer for the Quadrilogy as for the earlier box set, so a new transfer (especially on Blu) could look amazing.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I always thougth ALEIN looked great and I love grain. ALIENS always looked grainy to me on VHS then LaserDisc and then the first DVD seemed less grainy but the Quad version of ALIENS seemed really clean the cleanest I have ever seen it. It still had some grain but it didn't distract. It seemed to be inherent in the film print. In fact some shots I recall on older formats some shots would look so bad I couldn't make them out! The Quad version is really could. VHS what were we thinking? :)

I hope they don't DNR it to death.

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
In my previous post, I said I couldn't think of anything else they could do in terms of supplements (other than the 1999 DVD features and maybe an isolated score/commentary)... but...

This might sound crazy but, if time/money permitted, could they bring in some of the Alien 3 actors and properly loop some of their dialogue for the Special Edition version? It probably won't happen and the existing audio track (w/ the subtitles) doesn't bother me at all; it was just a thought.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
These films are long overdue on Blu ray! Will this be Fox's big 4th quarter 2009 release? Kind of like the Planet of the Apes set released for Christmas 2008?

I thought the DVD Director's Cut of Alien looked amazing.

Is there any more remastering or restoration needed for blu ray? Release date?

Martin Teller

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Teller

Can we please stop with this kind of rhetoric? Nothing is "long overdue" on Blu-Ray, it's still a brand new format. I' prefer that they take their time and do it right, rather than shove a half-assed version out the door to placate the impatient.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

I have seen these films (well, 1-2 at least.. and 3 is quite decent actually) so many times, that my message to Fox is this: Take the time that these things need to get them done right. A little wait is always better than releasing these like Fox did with "Predator" etc.

IMO, we also need all the old extras - and a couple of new ones. Since e.g. Cameron is quite busy in post with "Avarar" etc (Ridley usually seems to have time for extras, though), 2009 doesn´t sound that promising... And perhaps Fincher will finally grand at least one interview or something (well, I can dream - can I?).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks