What's new

CONFIRMED: Alien films coming in 2010 to Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Absolution

Predator is a pretty good example of it done wrong, horribly horribly wrong.

And Patton. When I think of how it could have looked...

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I copied and pasted Rickard's link and it worked, it showed a screen cap from Alien. What I am not clear on is what I'm looking at. I believe the DVD Beaver cap is the DVD and the second link is the BD. The BD is cropped a little closer then the DVD. So I think Rickard's question is which is the proper framing.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
The BD is also slightly cropped compared to the DVHS:

So two out of three says the BD is cropped. I'm not worried about it, though.

robbbb1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Robb
I'll hold out hope that someone else is going on with the screen caps from the BD. Otherwise, ugh...

RickardL

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Nelson Au

I copied and pasted Rickard's link and it worked, it showed a screen cap from Alien. What I am not clear on is what I'm looking at. I believe the DVD Beaver cap is the DVD and the second link is the BD. The BD is cropped a little closer then the DVD. So I think Rickard's question is which is the proper framing.
Correct. The first screen cap is from the first R1 SD DVD and the second from the upcoming BD as shown on the home cinema choice site.

And yes, I do wonder what the correct framing is. It is kind of confusing, the first R1 and R2,R4 SD "Legacy" look the same in terms of framing but the later R1 SD "Quadroligy" looks cropped and quite a lot like the new BD capture's framing.

Look at the DVD caps at http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare2/alien.htm and the BD caps http://hcc.techradar.com/playback/coming-soon/blu-ray-screenshot-gallery-alien-anthology-alien-06-09-10.

Edit: For those who had trouble with the links, I made a rough illustration of the BD framing according to the screen cap.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Are those two screenshots from the exact same frame? Is the camera moving during that shot?

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
That is odd. I took this shot from the Quadrilogy set a few years ago. I have both region 1 and 2 sets but can't remember which one I used for capture.

robbbb1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Robb
Originally Posted by cafink

Are those two screenshots from the exact same frame? Is the camera moving during that shot?

I'm looking at the dark edge of the cover to Kane's cryo freezer and it's not in the exact same place in both screen caps. All of the other reference points on the freezers look the same though, so maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me...

RickardL

Supporting Actor
Not sure about the exact frame but I had a look at my Quad copy and the camera is not moving at this point and the scene fades almost immediately after this.

Originally Posted by cafink

RickardL

Supporting Actor
I have the R1 Quad set and the framing there is similar to the BD cap at home cinema choice.

When the Director's Cut was released theatrically, I remember watching for the framing of this scene because of the cropping I had seen at dvdbeaver but I can't recall how it looked... [/url]

That is odd. I took this shot from the Quadrilogy set a few years ago. I have both region 1 and 2 sets but can't remember which one I used for capture.

[/quote]

RickardL

Supporting Actor
Regarding Aliens... the caps look a lot better!

The BD is sometimes reframed. In this scene, it shows more information at the bottom and less information at the top. In others, it might be the other way around.

First Legacy, then Quad and lastly BD.

RickardL

Supporting Actor

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks