What's new

CONFIRMED: Alien films coming in 2010 to Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html#070907

"Also today, our industry sources have sent us word that Fox is quietly planning to release at least some of the Alien films on Blu-ray Disc in 2008."

This would make sense, considering the fan base for these movies (well, at least with 1-2..). I believe "Alien" and "Aliens" are one of those movies, where some people just have to buy that "OTHER format"... ;) (for the record, there are similar titles in the HD DVD-camp, no doubt).

It´s also interesting to see that are there any new stuff when it comes to extras, are both versions (theatrical/dir.cut) released, etc. Both Scott and Cameron at least should be pleased that their films will be released on HD, so they might just contribute to the new extras. Just speculating of course..

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Interesting news of titles I would very much like in High Def. But as this is Fox, I don't think I will get too excited until it is actually announced (and released).

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Fox has to actually start releasing titles again for me to get the least bit interested in these rumors. They have a whole ton of promised titles to get caught up on first.

However, when these do get released:

1. They should contain both versions of the films. If not then they better be the theatrical cut of Alien and the DC of Aliens otherwise I'll pass.

2. They should at the very least contain all the bonus material from the SD's.

Also I'd be surprised if they didn't go the quadrology route.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

My thoughts exactly. Release what was announced and then I'll think about what might be announced.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
There's actually something very noteworthy buried in an AVS Forum thread on this very subject. There an "insider" with a rather dubious record responded to a request to ask his "Fox rep." about that studio's release approach to HDM by saying:

The obvious question is what happens when/if BD+ fails? Does Fox, and consquently MGM, take their marbles and go home? It is sure starting to sound that way. As a BD supporter, it pains me to say that those that use the Divx and DVD comparison when referring to Fox are spot on. While I do not understand the logic in releasing day-and-date titles that would argueably have more appeal to pirates than catalog titles, I can easily see Fox/MGM sitting out of HDM altogether if BD+ fails until there's more market penetration. Unfortunately, by sitting out, Fox/MGM only serve to prolong the format war and hurt adoption.

It is my opinion that Fox/MGM would significantly hurt BD's advantage in content over HD DVD by doing this and virtually deadlock this war. At that point, the only saving grace would be Cees' dual-format players. I still don't think dual-format players would get near the adoption rates of a single format though. I think it will forever "doom" these product to "Laserdisc" in the minds of the average consumer, which would ultimately just delay Fox/MGM's permanent entry into HDM.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Yeah I read AVS from time to time and I know who you're talking about. I take those "insights" of his with a 55 gallon drum of salt.

If this is true then the earliest we'd see a Fox title (day/date) is probably Sept/Oct, then a few months to see if it gets cracked. If it doesn't then we're into Q1 and nobody releases much catalog titles of any worth. So best case scenario is they release some of their catalog titles in April/May 08 or they may hold off until Q3/Q4 08.

Not a pretty scenario to me.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I'm eager for these titles in HD, and this rumor gives me hope... but similarly I'll wait to go full-throttle-excited when I hear an official announcement.

ANY release-announcement from FOX right now would excite me, actually.

:D

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Fox has gone from probably my favorite studio to my most hated. The potential, the wait, the frustration...
I mean, who the heck is running their home video division?

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Universal's VP of Home Video Marketing.:D It is a backend approach of crippling BD.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Ed,

what's the angle? Weren't the last round of Aliens DVDs pretty good? Or was EE a problem? I bought the latest "Aliens" on DVD and thought it looked pretty good (for SD).

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member

And now waiting for it to be cracked? Well, at least France is getting something announced...

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Stunning color (or colour ;-) )!!!
Best yellow EVER!!!
Butt yeah, EE raised its ugly head: flatten the picture a bit, halo's smeared details, & made the look a touch harder (less film-like).

Looks fantastic next to the murky/drab original release (which I still keep for the alternate soundtrack).

EDitEDbyED:
Maybe I should clarify I'm posting 'bout "ALIEN"! ;-)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
on my old XGA DLP pj, the newest edition of Alien looked sensational. I was hard pressed to find any other widescreen dvd that looked as good...especially for a film from the late 70s.
On the Pearl, it doesn't look quite as impressive for some reason- still very good, but a bit grittier.
I only hope that when this title is released in HD, that it is- at the very least- the theatrical cut and not the DC- like DTheater fans got.
If I have to wait a year, just to get disappointed all over again, that's really gonna suck.

I don't care what anyone says, or what developments occur- I still think all this BD+ business is just a way for Fox to stall producing content until the number of adopters increases to (to them) an acceptable base level.
Convienently that might happen after the second Christmas selling season, so ...whad y'know...we're at the end of Q1, begining of Q2 '08 anyway.

funny how those things work out.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

I am in complete agreement with you here. In fact, as I typed my response above, I thought to myself, "Oh, my God I 'sound' like Paul_Scott". ;)

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Hopefully they can get Jim Cameron to approve a new transfer for Aliens. That was the only real sore spot on the Quadrilogy (aside from the censored/hacked Alien 3 docs - maybe they can get a new lease on life??).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks