What's new

Confirmation the PS3 will do this? (audio - AVMulti, video - HDMI) (1 Viewer)

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor
I bought a set top Blu player around December before I found out about these silly profile issues (lt's a 1.0). I"m considering a PS3 for the ability to upgrade rather painlessly without buying another set top player for EVERY profile.

My TV is somewhat old and only has a HDMI/DVI input, meaning that it splits the video into the HDMI cable and the audio has to be plugged into ye olde RCA jacks (red/white).

My understanding is the PS3 has separate audio and video settings. So in theory you can set the video to HDMI and use the AV Multi cables to put out the audio. I keep seeing differing opinions online as to if this is possible or not (doesn't help that work blocks most of the sites).

I can see some of the instructions (thank you Google cache) from Sony's site, it sounds like that's how it works, but don't want to make another investment if it really doesn't work that way.

Cheers.

Mike Miskulin

Second Unit
You certainly can output video on the PS3 via HDMI and audio via optical (and I'm assuming the AV muti-out). I had my PS3 set this way prior to my recent receiver upgrade.

There are audio output and video output menus under the settings menu. From there you can select what method and resolution the video out is as well as the type of output for the audio. I'm not 100% positive you can output audio from the A/V multi-jack while HDMI is connected, but it certainly gives the option of optical output while HDMI outputs video.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Another question if I may?

Does the PS3 have component video out?
My tv has its lone DVI input in use but i have a couple of 'compenent in' inputs available.
I have been thinking about a PS3, but I didn't think it has 'component out'

Thanks a lot!!

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H

You can output via component video if you buy the proper cable.

But with component you will be limited to 1080i for Blu-ray and upscaling will not be allowed for copyrighted DVDs. So weigh your options.

I run component vido myself and ahve been quite satisfied. My screen isn't so huge that upscaling SD would make that much of a difference from good 480p and the 1080i from BDs (the max my TV will do anyway) is spectacular.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Wow, thanks for the quick answer !!

My tv is only 1080i anyway so that's fine.
But, when you say when you say 'proper cable' do you mean a regular component cable or something unique to PS3.

I have plenty of component cables laying around so that would be perfect.

Thanks again.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Yes, you need to buy their proprietary breakout cable for this -- not too expensive at ~$20 though.

_Man_

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Also, studios do have the capability to flag their BDs to be downrezed to standard definintion over any connection other than HDMI. I don't think it's ever been used, so it's not a real cause for concern at this time. But I'd thought I'd mention it anyway.

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor
Worked like a charm. I think the PS3 knew that was what I wanted to do because as I was going into setup I could hear animated clicks as I scrolled. I made sure the settings were AV Multi for audio and HDMI for video anyway. Threw in a blu-ray and all was well.

Now I just need to get it away from the kids (playing some game as I type this) so I can update the firmware and maybe even watch a Blu-ray one day ;).

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks