What's new

Concert for George on PBS in HD Wednesday night (1 Viewer)

Gary_E

Second Unit
I noticed the tribute concert for George Harrison is on South Florida's local PBS HD channel this evening at 9:00 pm eastern.

The DVD looks very good and has some outstanding musical performances from Eric Clapton, Jeff Lynne, Billy Preston, Ringo, Paul and others. PLUS Monty Python performing The Lumberjack Song!!!
:)

Here's hoping for a fine HD broadcast of this emotional concert.

Regards,
-Gary

John Watson

Screenwriter
Thanks for the tip, I see it's to be broadcast tonight on the PBS (Boston) channel that we get on cable up here, so I plan to turn on the VCR.

Might help me decide if I will someday get a DVD of it... :)

David Judah

Screenwriter
I watched it last night in HD & DD--a very nice tribute to George. "The Inner Light" was a nice bonus since it was an obscure Beatles song. Also, Jeff Lynne did a nice Roy Orbison imitation for "Handle Me With Care.":)

I liked it when Paul was singing "For you Blue" and pointed over to Ringo when he was singing "Play the twelve bar blues"(or something to that effect)as Ringo was mouthing it. Ah, the memories it must have stirred up for those two.

DJ

John Watson

Screenwriter
Very good concert. What a lineup!

Sound and PQ? I like it when the engineers and stage people get something done so well, when the you hear the instrument of the artist who is on camera at the time.

Red, orange, etc., never work well on TV for me. Perhaps its the cable broadcast, and the VCR taping, so I hope the colors are much more solid on the DVD edition.

Kept waiting for "When we was fab", but I guess George is forever :emoji_thumbsup:

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
I started to watch it but turned it off because many of the performances were intercut with interviews. When PBS broadcasts something as a part of the "Great Performance" series I went to see performance!

Just out of curiosity, does the DVD of this concert intercut as well?

John Watson

Screenwriter
That's a good question.

I assume it is the "performance", and regrettably, those interesting conversations are not extra features. But there were many great uninterrupted songs too, and I still think I'd like to have it on disk.

Neil White

Supporting Actor
I only caught the second half. What I did see I thought was incredible. A fitting tribute to a musical genius. It was respectful but not over-sentimental. However, I kinda welled-up when Joe Brown played the last number.

The production/direction was top-notch. No MTV-style, dizzying camera shots. It was just right I thought. It had a kind of surreal feel in places I thought - hard to explain. Dhani looking like a clone of his dad probably contributed to that.

Seeing Clapton, Paul and Ringo together again on While My Guitar Gently Weeps was another standout moment.

I have to get the DVD - not an option for me.

N

Gary_E

Second Unit

The DVD is a two disc set.

One disc has the theatrical concert (the one on PBS) which contains the talk-overs described.

The other disc has the complete concert itself, from start to finish, without the talk-overs.

Anamorphic w/Dolby Digital 2.0 & Dolby Digital 5.1 & DTS Surround on both discs. The special features are split among both discs.

A great concert, for a great man, on a great DVD.
Was recently on sale at Best Buy for $14.99.

A MUST HAVE!!!

Regards,
-Gary

Mike Soltis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Anyone have any idea when it will be on PBS-HD again?? Can't find it on their schedule...

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

Thanks for that info. I'll buy the DVD then since I found the broadcast version (AKA disc one) so disappointing. From what I did watch the performances were great and I look forward to seeing them uninteruppted.

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Not to nitpick, but Disc 1 is the complete concert while Disc 2 is the version that played in theaters and on PBS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks