What's new

Concerns about setup with mixed 8 ohm and 4 ohm speakers. (1 Viewer)

Bill Cri

Auditioning
I plan on using the following Swan speakers that have the noted resistances:

Fronts: 6.1 (8 ohm)
Center: C3 (8 ohm)
Surrounds: R3 (4 ohm)

Rears: 2.1 (8 ohm) to be added after getting a 7.1 receiver

I am concerned that my receiver, currently a Yamaha RX-V795, won't have enough adjustment to accommodate the resistance difference. The 4 ohm surrounds will drive much easier and are closer to the listener. I can adjust each level by +10 db to -20 db. I wanted to find out if anyone has setup a mix of the 8 ohm fronts with the 4 ohm surrounds and how much the level had to be adjusted. I know that speaker placements, room dynamics, and amplifier models all play into this, but I just want some sort of idea what others are experiencing.

Thanks,
Bill

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It shouldn't be a problem. Even with the dynamic sountracks today, the surrounds still only see a limited amount of duty, so you should be fine. You'll want an SPL meter to do the level adjustment properly.

Marc H

Second Unit
I agree with John, especially if you run them in the small mode, the load to the receiver will be no problem.
It's the difference in efficeincy between the speakers rather than the impedance that will dictate the difference in volume and the Yamaha will be able to compensate for that too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks