What's new

Concerning "Splitting" TV Series DVD sets (1 Viewer)

Ian_H

Supporting Actor
I myself prefer to have complete season sets. When I get a new season I usually plug myself in and watch the entire run within at least 2 weeks maybe less for 1/2 hour shows. I would only support split sets if the release schedule was rather narrow between sets 2-3 months tops. I don't want to watch 1/2 a season and then have to wait a year for the rest to show up. I was very happy to see that HBO who I normally feel charge way to much for thier sets is releasing the 4th season of OZ in one set (even though it was twice as long as all the other seasons and was aired split) in one set for the same price as the other seasons. I was certain that they would have released it as two sets for the same price each.

--Ian

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Ian, you prefer complete season sets to split season sets, but what if your choice were split season sets or no season sets?

I agree with you on the timeframe issue, and fortunately for the ones I've paid attention to the release of part 2 comes fairly quickly after part one.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Casey, that was a terrible question to ask Ian.

IMO, if I ended up with that kind of a choice I would hesitate, and carefully watch the prices. Further, if one studio announced that from now on, all of their TV series were going to be issued in split sets, my favorite TV show list would probably change, and I'd go for another studio.

I really can't see increased sales with split sets. If I saw a full season of 'A' that was priced twice as much as half a season of 'B', I'd wonder if the 2nd half of 'B' would be coming out, and I'd wait until I had enough to buy the full season of 'B'.

Glenn

Ian_H

Supporting Actor

Obviously I wouldn't like it but if that was the only way to get them then I would have no choice but to suck it up and take it that way, if I want to own show in question.

I don't really care about how they look on the shelf or if they take up too much space my main concern is the time frame of when I will get the rest. If they announced that Season 1 part 1 of show X is released in January and part 2 will be released 9-10 months later I more than likely wouldn't buy the first part right away. Since I would be waiting to own the whole season what would happen is that I would probably find it on the used market before I would be ready to hit the stores looking for it.

--Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks