What's new

component or dvi-hdmi? confused (1 Viewer)

allan espinoza

Stunt Coordinator
hi, i have an hd ready 36" sony tv with an hdmi input and have a smsung hd-841 dvd player with dvi output and i wanted to know if using the dvd players dvi output would be a better connection to use rather than using component? i heard good and bad about both connections and im confused as to what to use. im using a dvi-hdmi cable as of right now to watch movies but i notice that it has made the picture darker and i can sometimes see like blurr images (not sure what you call that) or like fuzz like little boxes within certain images. my dvd player can upconvert to 1080i but when i do that it changes the screen to widescreen and their faces appear to be a bit wider. i havent seen what it looks like using comonent cables so im not sure about the connection, but from what i have heard is that its better to just use component cables rather than dvi and vice versa as well.please help as im rather confused about everything. thanks

BillyH

Stunt Coordinator
If you want to upvert past 480P you will HAVE to use the DVI/HDMI(Or so I believe). Picture wise I bet you can not tell the difference between Conponent and digital cables on a 36 inch tv. Both should look great. When you go past 480P(ie-720P or 1080i) you are going to what your TV sees as HDTV and you will have to adjust your Sony for automatic 16.9 switching. Heck you should do it anyway, even with 480P pictures, you are losing something like a third of your signal on widescreen DVDs. Who sold you this TV, some pimply nosed kid at Best Buy? They should have explained this to you. Boy, there should be a law!! You pay a bit more to go to a smaller specialty electronics store, but there is no comparison when it comes to service. If you are not familiar with modern electronics, or anything else for that matter, you realy need someone to hold your hand through the process. For instance, I recently bought my first REAL chain saw. It is a Stihl. Very nice machine. Tons better then the cheap Homelights I used to buy. I went to a small 1000 square foot shop with a 70 year old dealer who worked out of his country home. Not only did he put it togeather for me as I watched and asked questions, he talked me through proper maintence, heck he even gased her up and ran it for a bit for me. Thats what I mean, you have to pay a bit more for good service, but it often is worth it. About your Sony. Go to your manual,and then set it for a widescreen or 16.9 ASPECT RATIO. THEN, reset your Samsung DVD player for the same thing. You will see black bars on your TV for widescreen movies but you will get the FULL DVD resolution plus no more wierd looking people. Regular 4.3 tv and non widescreen movies will still appear normal on yout TV. Good Luck my friend.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
I think allan has already dumped his Samsung player so the point is moot. Pretty old thread anyway.

allan espinoza

Stunt Coordinator
yes, unfortunately I have dumped the samsung, but thanks anyways for the the reply, this was an old thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks