What's new

Component hookup questions (1 Viewer)

Ron_S

Grip
I'm getting ready to connect my components and have a few questions regarding what connections to use.

Here is my equipment at this point:

Denon 3805
Humax DRT-800 Tivo
Infocus X1
Xbox
7.1 Totem Mite setup
Klipsch RSW-10

For audio hookup between the Humax and Denon, is it correct to assume I need to use the digital optical connections to get better than 5.1 surround? The Humax will serve as my primary DVD player.

I'm planning on using the Humax as my tuner (I only have analog cable right now) for the X1 so I installed the component to VGA cable which I was planning on connecting to the Denon then going from the Denon to the Humax. Am I on the right track there?

I will be connecting my Xbox into the Denon via S-video and L/R audio connectors.

Thats pretty much where I'm at, what do you think?

Thanks

Ron

Tim K

Second Unit
Yes, you will need to use either Digital Optical or Digital Coax in order to get 5.1 or better (technically your DVD player might have a Dolby decoder and analog outputs, but it is more likely that the receiver's is better).

As for running your video through the Denon and then from the Denon to the projector...that is a matter of personal preference and connections. Some people prefer to use their receiver as a video switcher so as not to have to change inputs on their display device. Some people do it b/c they don't have enough inputs on their display device to handle all of their sources. Some people believe that the more sources you run a signal through the more interference you introduce into the picture, so they go directly to the display device. Some people don't want to purchase and extra cable to make the connections so they go straight to the display as well. Some receivers are incapable of handling the bandwidth required to pass an HD signal and thus cannot be used as a video switcher.

If you plan to use HDTV signals you will need to make sure your receiver is rated to pass HD video signals, otherwise you'll need to go directly to the Projector.

Ron_S

Grip
Ok I've started connecting things and ran into a problem. I am using the component to HD15 cable to connect my DVD player to the projector. I first had this going through the Denon and couldnt get a picture. So I took the Denon out of the loop and went directly from the Humax to the X1 and still no picture. I did some searching on the site and found some information about the type of DVD player having an effect on getting a picture, no ideas if this is the cause since my DVD player is also a Tivo unit. I'm planning on using the Humax for my TV (analog no HD) and DVD viewing. Should I just get an s-video cable? I saw someone mention a component to s-video cable would be best but I can't find one anywhere.

Thanks

Ron

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks