1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Component "Hook-Up Sequence

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by PW53, Jan 5, 2012.

1. PW53

PW53 Member

Happy New Year to All. I had a question reg, this issue on an earlier, somewhat related thread,which by now is a bit older so I started this thread. I bought 2 new components and wonder how, and in which sequence I should hook them up? You should probably know that I am in a terrible "reception" area which is why I also have a Converter Box. Here are all the model #s: Insignia Converter Box: Model NS-DXA1 Input: 1RF Output: 1 composite video; 1analog audio L/R; 1 RF Sony Sound Bar with Subwoofer: model HT-CT150 LG BluRay Player model LGBD630 LG Television: model LG26LD350 I have HDMI cables which if at all possible is how I would like to make the connections. Just a "sheepish" reminder....there is a reason why I am asking this question on the Beginners Forum :):):) Some of your members have highly recommended the Harmony Remote ( model 650) which I have also purchased. My next question is: will the Harmony give me ALL the functions that each individual remote can give me? Thank you so very much for all your help and I look forward to hearing from you. Regards, Paula

2. Alfonso_M

Alfonso_M Well-Known Member

With you LG HDTV you don't need that digital-> analog converter box, you HDTV is already equipped with an OTA HD tuner, all you need is to connect an over-the -air Hi-def antenna, navigate to your HDTV setup menu and scan for all your local HD channels. Of course you'll need to pick up a OTA HD antenna, a small HD model might be good enough. they are very good and can even be installed in the attic, but in your case, outside by a nearby window with clear view of the local stations' transmitting towers might be best choice.. (you need to find out in which direction to aim your antenna in your area) Use HDMI cable and connect Blu ray player to one of your Sony Sound bar's HDMI inputs , and use another hdmi from the Sony bar's HDMI-out to your LG HDTV hdmi input.. Your Harmony 650 will simulate all your original remotes and control all your devices, any “command” missing after programming the Harmony 650 can be “learned” from the original remote. You'll need to download the Harmony software to your PC from the Harmony site, then chose your remote model and add all the “devices” model numbers in your system to youe account, create “activities” like “watch HDTV” or “Watch Blu-Ray” and then follow the steps to program the remote, (take note of which HDMI ports you used to connect your devices, as the Harmony software needs to know this). After testing (maybe a few days) if you can't find certain missing commands you need (rare) you can "learn" the command from the original remote to your Harmony and place the button/command on your Harmony's screen page(s) for easy access, Harmony's programs has tips on how to do all this..

3. PW53

PW53 Member

Thank you very much for your help Alfonso. I have tried without the converter box when I 1st got the LG TV....ran it's tuner through it's paces with little result. I do have a great antenna but am in a horrible area for reception of any kind (no cell reception either!!). I will try to tune in the stations without the box because I would prefer to do without. Thanks again for your help. With Regards, Paula

4. Alfonso_M

Alfonso_M Well-Known Member

maybe you need to re-aim your antenna in the proper direction first before scanning, usually most local stations transmit from the same general location, if not check into a multi-directional antenna, and pick the one with the correct 'range' (some are 30 miles others 50 miles) best suited for your needs.... Check this link for finding the location of transmitting tower's locations/stations in your area.. http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Welcome.aspx

5. PW53

PW53 Member

Hi Alfonso, This weekend will be ladder-climbing time. At this point not only do I need to fine-tune the antenna itself but also need to repair it. We had a major windstorm go thru here about 2 weeks ago and 2 of the elements came off. I have been to antenna web a number of times and the style antenna they recommend is the one I have. Not only is my valley notorious for bad reception but my house is even worse because I sit right up against the base of the mountain which is covered with oaks. I realize I won't have average reception yet I try my best to get what is reasonable to get. Hence the converter box. When I still had my analog tv and signal changed in Feb. '09, I literally went from 1 station to 10 just by adding the box, When I got the HDTV about 6 mos. ago I did try without box and went back to 1 station. Add the box and voila....10 stations (some of those sub-stations). I will let you know how my adventure will turn out and I again thank you for taking the time to help me. Regards, Paula