What's new

Component Cables: Difference between expensive and moderate? (1 Viewer)

Ozwald

Auditioning
Hey guys,
I'm setting up a pretty high end system. Have got a great plasma TV, dvd player, and reciever. Although i don't have a lot of money to blow, if it will make a significant difference i am willing to shell out more money on cables. I am debating between buying monster component cables or "Better Cables Component Video Cable" which was recommended by audiorevolution.com. At 200+ bucks a cable, and since I need two cables(one from the dvd player to reciever and one from the reciever to the tv), I am hestitant to spend this kind of money on cables. Is the price difference worth it? Thanks for the help guys.

-ozwald

Chet Wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Ozwald, I would say pay for moderate cables or build your own. See partsexpress for that sort of thing. I personally think high end cables or cables that are disquised as high end(Monster) are a waste of money, especially in a HT room.

Good speaker cable can be bought for a $1 a foot or less and as far as component cable goes just buy 75 ohm coax with good shielding (foil and braid) and a teflon or poly diaelectric.

cable ref

component cables

cable making

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
First, I dont recommend going through the receiver. It does you no good unless you have 2 or more component sources. Most people go straight to the TV from their HD source.

Second, Saying "...just buy 75 ohm coax" is like saying "...just buy a car". Coax is built for different needs. RG6 is a form-factor - not a indicator of performance. Dont buy coax that was not intended for HD video.

Of your 2 choices, go with BetterCables. People with 100" front projectors have seen improvement with BC cables over more expensive brands (higher-end than Monster).

When "Secrets of Home Theater and Hi Fi" did their famous Progressive Scan DVD player shootout, they used very sensitive video analysis equipment. The cables they tried to use caused variations/changes in the readings if the cables were touched or moved. Finally one of the guys doing the test, Brad, built a cable that was stable. Brad is the owner/president of BetterCables. A month or so ago someone had some problems with their hookup and his new BetterCable cable. Brad phoned the man and helped him diagnose the problem (it wasnt the cable). You wont get that type of service from Monster.

Chet Wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Bob, you are correct. I shouldn't have said just 75ohm coax as some coax carries a higher bandwidth than other coax.

Lam Nguyen

Stunt Coordinator
Ozwald,
I just bought a component cable from elementcable.com last week, their price is very good and they're very profesionally made. The picture I got was noticeable better than the Monster cables I had before, they also offer a 30 day money back guarantee so that helps.

Their website had problems last week, so I had to go under "Contact Us" and emailed him in order to get my order through.
their website is www.elementcable.com

Chet Wilson

Stunt Coordinator
with the proper crimp tool you can make top quality 6ft 75 ohm double shielded component cables with Canare connectors for less than $40.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.