What's new

Complete Series Sets (1 Viewer)

jacktripper1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jacob
You know? I'm really getting tired of this. Everytime a studio releases it's final season of something, a rumour appears on tvshowsondvd.com that there will be a complete series set! What about the diehard fans that pick up each seaosn as it released? I think there should be a solution for us. If the studios would offer us a deal. WE send in all our sets we have of the season sets (as long as hey are completed), and THEY give US the complete series set. Of course, with a little charge for the extra special features. Does anyone agree with me on this?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
If there's a new bonus disc in the series set, I'd like to see that made available (even if it cost a couple of bucks for the shipping and handling). However, I don't think I'm owed the series set because I bought the individual sets. If I bought a bunch of comic books and they were released in a book form, I don't think the company needs to offer me a trade in of my individual issues for the book.

If it was that big of a deal to me, I'd just sell the individual sets on eBay and buy the series set. It seems like most people actually make a small profit doing that.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I like the idea of being able to buy the bonus disc(s) separately. Fox did it for M*A*S*H, and there's no reason not to for other shows.

Dean C

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
Yes but does any one buy into these complete series sets. I mean not buying each season individually untill it is complete, then you are mad it comes out as an entire set with different extras.

tjguitar85

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas

And then what do they do with those season sets you send them? What's the point of producing a "complete series" set if you're just going to give them away for free...

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

Nah, not really. If there are extras released in the complete series box sets, as a matter of routine, I'd like to see those made available to those fans who bought the individual season sets as M*A*S*H did with its ``Goodbye, Farewell & Amen'' extras set.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
seeing how they include those semi-worthless (now that WB no longer has the rebate) proof of purchases, you should be able to send in the tags from all the season sets and get the bonus disc sent for a few bucks or even free.

Richard_Gregory

Second Unit
Unfortunately the studios exist to make money. This is really the only thing they "care" about - not the show, not the fans, not the customer (except their cash).

It;s precisely why studios adopt the strategy of releasing series in parts, followed by a complete release (essentially, a cheap repackaging exercise in the hope of tagging some sales from those who didn't buy the previous releases, which is also why there's a discount involved). However, they keep enough uncertainty about whether or not there'll be a complete release, to act as an "incentive" to buy the partworks. They also know that the genuine fans will want the stuff as quickly as possible, and will pay a premium rather than waiting for a cheaper complete release.

It sounds harsh but that's the commercial world for you.

They first question on their minds is always "How can we make the most money from this?"

lavelle

Auditioning
Real Name
alan
Personally I'm not interested in getting a complete box set if I already own all the individual seasons because I'm not that big on behind-the-scenes material. I know Buffy's Chosen Collection has a bonus dvd documentary but it doesn't interest me. The episodes are enough for me.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland

Corey3rd, that is the perfect solution! I had suggested that in another thread, and I really wish the studios would adopt it. Problem solved for everybody.

ThomasMon

Stunt Coordinator
I can't stand it either when this happens. I would love to be able to purchase a disc with the bonus information for a small fee. If it was a show I really loved, I would probably just buy the complete set again.

Richard_Gregory

Second Unit
The only plus side for me is that I import a lot of stuff from the US that we don't get here in the UK. Single season or half-season sets are low enough cost to come in under the tax threshold. Complete series don't, so I'd have to pay import taxes, which would more than wipe out any discount! Also, some stores are a bit antsy about shipping really big sets, as they often exceed the limits on standard international mail, so they insist on using courier like DHL, which costs!

The forthcoming Land of the Giants set is gonna be *expensive* :-(

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Without the steady, season-by-season sales, no series longer than a season or two would ever reach the point where it was finished and could get a full series release. And it seems to me that most of the ones that do are simply repackaged versions of the original release sold at a discount price. (Which is the only way most of them will sell at all, since the hardcore fans all bought the show during its first release. Later discounts are aimed at squeezing a few extra bucks out of the lukewarm fans who like a show but won't, under any circumstances, pay what the studio had to charge during the original release in order to turn a profit. Studios know that the vast majority of sales for any DVD come in the first couple of weeks of release. That's one reason they're always repackaging catalog titles, to get them on the "new release" rack or web page. With TV shows once they've plucked the low-hanging fruit, they shake the tree by repackaging, cutting prices, offering "theme" sets or "best of" collections.)

I do think it would be nice if you could mail in proof-of-purchase or simply buy any extras that are exclusive to the "complete series" sets (like the Law & Order cross-over episodes from the Homicide: Life on the Streets set.)

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks