What's new

Complete Series sets gaining popularity (1 Viewer)

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

maybe so, but their sets generally have too few episodes (the usual Sopranos season has only slightly more than half the episodes the typical prime-time season show does) and their extras aren't generally impressive enough (consider the disapointment that is the last disc of the Sex And The City set) to merit the prices.

The only HBO set I have is the Sex discs, and they are half the price of the Sopranos/SFU/Deadwood/etc.... discs (and above that, I've never paid more than $39 for one). And even then, they are nowhere worth the $49.99 that Seinfeld and Simpsons are.

HBO needs to get over themselves, even Showtime's begun to realize they have been pricing the Queer As Folk sets way too high and are slowly dropping the prices for them per season.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I do have to admit, that I would love to see the Simpsons complete series set, should that show ever end, that thing would have to be huge and expensive...although by the time that would come out, we'd have higher capacity media.

Scott_F_S

Second Unit
It's just a way for the studio to get more juice out of an essentially expired title, no more, no less. And is it a shock that HBO is putting an outrageous price on theirs? I don't think so.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
I'll always prefer complete season sets vs "Best Of's" or "Collector's Set" (that don't contain entire season's). I prefer individual season release mostly with a few exceptions:
- Secret Agent Megaset
- Dick Van Dyke Set
- New Avengers Set

Since I don't have plans for too many series where I want the entier series, I prefer the way that they seem to be releasing TV/DVD's. I want entire series released for those that want to own all of a series. As long as they keep releasing these TV/DVD's, I'm :)'ing

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
If you contact the studio, they may be willing to send you a replacement.

Alan_H

Stunt Coordinator
Ouch, that sounds painful!

With so many shows on my want list, it's a lot more manageable to buy 1 season at a time and 'spread out the pain' to my wallet.

Joel C

Screenwriter
Anyone looking to pick up Sex and the City, they are available at Sam's Club for $19.99 per set, or $140 total. Far less than what HBO's full set will cost.

Galen_V

Second Unit

The problem is that HBO can't price these sets so low that people who subscribe to the channel feel like they should just cancel their subscription and wait for the DVDs to come out. Also, since most of their shows can't be syndicated, it's the only way for them to make money directly off of a particular show. Finally, I think that their higher prices are also a smart marketing move in that it makes people think the added cost is for a higher quality product. While this pricing strategy may not be ideal for your wallet, it does reinforce the 'critically acclaimed', Emmy-dominating brand name that they've been building for the last decade, which at the end of the day is more valuable than a few lost DVD sales.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

if HBO shows had complete seasons, I'd feel a little more understanding, but $99.99 for 13 shows a season is kinda crappy considering for the same price, you can get 24 episodes of CSI or X-Files, and even then 99.99 is pretty high for hour-long shows, you can commonly find full-length seasons of hour-long shows for $59.99 retail, and many of those have more to offer extraswise than any HBO set ever could dream of.

I mean, Sex And The City sets go for the same price as Seinfeld and Simpsons sets and offers not even 1/10th what those shows do in terms of special features.

Galen_V

Second Unit

As a consumer I completely agree with you 100%-it get's to be a little ridiculous. If you look around and are patient though you can usually find their sets on sale for a more reasonable price (like a two-pack of Seasons 1 and 2 of Curb for around 30 bucks).

John*D

Second Unit
Hopefully Paramount will do some sort of MASSIVE Price Reduction on their Trek sets for those of us who haven't taken the plunge.

I refuse (financially) to purchase them because $100 per season is crazy.

Same goes for X-Files, even though they had that BB sale, but that has come and gone!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks