What's new

Complete hometheater set up help (1 Viewer)

Matt Stalker

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt Stalker
I'm currently looking to finish my downstairs theater room w/ a surround sound that fits the screen. I have a 120" projection screen downstairs, I am going to be hooking up a 80" tv behind it (to just watch regular tv shows). I'm wanting to get a 7 channel surround sound system to hook up w/ it. So i would need to find a system able to output to 2 devices (I will not be playing bothing the tv and the projector at the same time). I also want to hook up 3 speakers outside. These 3 speakers will not be used for tv sound will be used strictly for radio and ipod during entertainment. Do I need to get a separate system for this, or would it just be easier to do a separate system for this? What recommendations do you have? My room is about 15" wide, by 25" long. We sit towards the back wall of the room. Also for the 3 other speakers I would have 1 under a deck, 1 in my rock garden, and 1 in my garage (so this one doesn't need to be an outdoor speaker). I would prefer these 3 be wireless as I'm not so much worried about quality, it'll be background noise. I'm hoping to keep my budget around 800 or less (preferably less). is this doable?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Onkyo NR616. Since you want "wireless" speakers outside, you'll be using the Zone 2/3 pre-outs. Use a wireless speaker in the garage, like the other two...or you'll need a pair. The Zone2/3 pre-outs only use analog connections. What are your sources? If the only things really are Ipod/Radio...you don't need any involvement from the AVR. Connect your Ipod directly to the wireless sender for the speakers you buy. http://www.amazon.com/NXG-Technology-Wireless-Outdoor-Speaker/dp/B0035UV0TC/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1363117229&sr=1-3&keywords=wireless+outdoor+speaker However if you want "the senders" centrally located(so they don't get lost...and are plugged in), there is no reason not to put them with the AVR and send Zone 1/2 to the senders. Then the wireless speakers can go "anywhere" when not in use to be recharged.

Matt Stalker

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt Stalker
Thank you the outside and garage speakers I am going to want to stay wireless and I initially only wanted radio/iPod to go through them but if I can have the option for tv sound to play through them at no extra or minimum extra cost I would be up for it.. (Some a lot of my gatherings r for football, don't want the smokers to miss out)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Having the "TV sound" will require... A cable/sat STB with a secondary analog audio connection(which the only snafu here is some cable STB disable "all the other connections" when you use HDMI) or The TV(being the 80") with an audio output. So, do you use OTA or cable/sat? Basically what I am hinting at, the Zone 2/3 on the 616 is analog* only. All inputs enter and leave via RCA(that would be the red/white) *And before you ask, there are no AVR under $1800 that do digital Zone 2/3.

Matt Stalker

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt Stalker
I'm honestly not up to date on the lingo for this stuff. So what i'm gonna do is tell ya exactly what I got, and hopefully that helps. I currently have an Optoma h31 project mounted on my ceiling. Since the project does not have an hdmi slot i have a VGA adapter to HDMI, and run the cord to my Home theater system, which currently is Sony box system. But obviously that's what i'm hoping to replace. Hooked into my Home theater system currently is an xbox, and a cable box. My GF and I are no longer going to do a tv behind the projector. So basically everything described above is what I need a Hometheater system for plus the 3 outdoor speakers mentioned ealier. I don't know if that helps at all w/ your question. But I'm also wondering if getting rid of the 80" tv also eliminates my problem?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Why are you totally wasting your projector? It has DVI, use it. http://www.amazon.com/15ft-Premium-HDMI-DVI-Cable/dp/B000HDJY7K/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1363200401&sr=1-4&keywords=dvi-hdmi You never had a problem using a twin HDMI AVR with a TV behind your screen, because your projector has DVI. Use it.

Matt Stalker

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt Stalker
I apologize I said VGA before I meant DVI. Instead of using the cord you linked I use an adaptor... Is there a large diff between the quality of the two? The reason I ask is because the cords are run through my ceiling/wall, which means a lot of work and time for me to change. If it would make a big difference I'll make the effort, but if it's minor, I'm ok w/ what I have. So basically my projector has a DVI to HDMI adapter on it.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
HDMI-audio=DVI. 95% of projectors don't even need HDMI. First time I saw a projector with HDMI I laughed. So, when you replace your projector, simply remove the DVI adapter.

Matt Stalker

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt Stalker
Thanks for all your help. Depending how we run the speaker wire I might be able to switch that hdmi cable out too. I'm hoping to get this all ordered and put in soon and I'm sure ill have questions during set up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks