What's new

Complete Boxsets (SATC - Buffy) (1 Viewer)

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
out of curiousity. It's been established that a number of Buffy fans will sell off their sets and get the new one. Are there any Sex And The City fans who intend on double-dipping as well? I love both shows, but I am content with the existing S&TC sets. But I was wondering if there is anyone who already has them who have the intention on getting the ultra-set as well.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
The cost of the Buffy set is very impressive - especially since it is about equal to a SINGLE season cost of any "Star Trek" show...gotta give Fox a :emoji_thumbsup: for the reasonable pricing.

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor

Can you tell me where you have seen the Buffy collection for that price?

I have picked up most of the Star Trek sets for ~$75-$80 but the best I can find for the Buffy collection is $129 from Amazon..

Andy

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
well, $129 is what you'd see Trek for at a place like Suncoast, so it kinda works out. 144 episodes for the price of 13(!!!)-26 episodes of any given Trek show's season retail.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Of course, I'm in Canada....The average price for a single season of "Deep Space Nine" is around $170, and goes as low as $120.

Paramount...cheap bastards.

Not only that, $80 for one season of a show compared to $ 120 for all seven of another show is still great...no matter where you live.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Now FOX just needs to put out the X-Files at $20 a season instead of the $100 or so now (at Best Busy), which is beyond insane! :angry::thumbsdown: How about $180 for all 9 years in one box? I don't need all those extras.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
$20 might be too low, but $40 would be reasonable for X-Files. Of course, Fox can always do a super-mega-deluxe edition box set

Andreas_K

Stunt Coordinator
I'm sure a complete X-Files set will be coming out sooner or later. They are just about to release one in the UK after they've repackaged and reduced the sets in price earlier this year. It's a really good value at just about $30 a season - much lower than the price of the reduced individual seasons.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
$30 a season I would pay ($270+ tax and / or postage for the X-FILES series). Here in California that comes to $291 with sales tax.

It's good to know the Brits are soon getting a boxed set of the complete series. Now FOX just needs to release that in the USA. :)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

Isn't naming a price a little random. I want to pay $1 for everything I buy but it probably isn't going to happen.

Fox set that price because they knew that hardcore XF fans would pay it and apparently have done well with that price.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I definitely like the idea of a complete series set, and would probably buy the X-Files if it came out this way. I never actually watched Buffy though-seemed like it was way too much cheesy teen angst drama from the ads/descriptions. Since Joss took on the X-Men last year though, I've been more and more interested (since Astonishing X-Men is one of the best comics out there these days). Is it worth the money to pick the series up blind?

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
129.99 for the series? I think so.

It's one of those shows that looks horrible and hokey from the ads (veronica mars anyone?) but when you watch it it's actually very intelligent (veronica mars anyone?)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
We had this discussion elsewhere. I think Angel managed to be more consistent in it's run (though it could be very good, or mediocre, at times) than Buffy. But Buffy hit some grand slam episodes that the best of Angel can't touch. It had some lower lows as well, but a few of the Buffy episodes are among the very best TV shows ever.

As for Willow in S6...I consider disc 3 of S6 the nadir of the show (the Willow drug allusions, though calling them allusions hints at a veneer of subtlety that the episodes do not possess). I'll never watch them again. As for Evil Willow, I preferred the Vamp, because nut witch Willow came out of left field. Buffy earned it's high moments by having rules and playing by them (something few shows do...they reboot every week). The tail end of S6 threw those out for the shocker of the week ending or beginning. And I like Willow just fine. I had the original Willow crush in 1997 :)

As for Willow balancing the scales...I'll disagree on that storypoint :) She committed murder. Even Faith did time for that. And in S7, to save the world, she gave powers to dozens of girls, many of whom will abuse and taint them. I'd have been very interested in a S8 (or even better, S1 of Faith) dealing with the repercussions of so many powerful women with no knowledge, cause, or conscience.

I think they were both great shows. But I'll take Buffy S2 uber alles.

YMMV,
Chuck

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

I don't think it is. I never liked Dawson or One Tree Hill (two shows that are undoubtable cheesy teen angst) enough to own. I mean, you never had "Buffy's pregnant... is Angel or Xander the father?" storylines, which would undoubtably happen on something like The OC. Plus, Buffy stopped being a teen show the moment they graduated Sunnydale High (and it became more and more obvious Nicholas Brendon was actually 30). Of course, I think this is why a lot of people dislike the latter seasons, but I liked seeing our characters become adults. But I don't see how you can compare Buffy alongside Dawson, One Tree Hill and The OC just because the characters were teens when it started. It was a supernatural drama, not "Teen Angst". Okay, you've established Buffy's not one of your favorite shows, but come on, there is absolutely nothing in common between Buffy and One Tree Hill.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

well, to be honest, I think it was probably a smart idea to end after season 7. There were several instances in season 7 where I was "I really hope this is the last year so the show doesn't decline too much". One look at the past three seasons of Charmed is enough proof at what happens when a show overstays its welcome. Charmed is now a shadow of it's former self and even former die-hard fans can care less... at least Buffy went out when there was still dignity left.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
I think I'll stay away from this thread from now on...this whole 'Buffy is better than Angel' talk is making me nauseous. :D

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

I don't see what I said about the analogy that Buffy is along the lines of One Tree Hill and Dawson's Creek isn't something I agree with saying Buffy's better than Angel (even though I believe that sentiment).

Buffy and Angel are like the Beatles and Stones. You have Beatles people, you have Stones people. Beatles fans have their reasons, and Stones fans have their reasons, and you can't find fault with either of them. Buffy fans have valid reasons to why they believe the former show is better than the spinoff, and Angel fans have valid reasons to why they believe the spinoff is better. But remember, there wouldn't be an Angel if there wasn't a Buffy. Buffy is in my top three shows of all time, Angel would likely be in the twenties or so. To me, Buffy is an epic story with an ending where everything works out at the end, Angel is a story that is unfinished IMO. They are apples and oranges but both fanbases have valid reasons.

Dean Andre

Grip
Where can I see a review of the new complete Buffy box set? Are the discs the same as the original season box sets? I know there is an additional bonus disc, but are the actual show discs the same as the originals?

One of the things that bugged me is the lack of the "Play All" feature and that the graphic images take forever to get to the actual menus.

Any other known changes? Thanks in advance!
Dean

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks