What's new

compatible subwoofer (2 Viewers)

ecuadorche

Auditioning
Real Name
anthony
hi guys one last annoying questions
i have ordered myself a onkyo 606 and i learned that i can only use powered subwoofers with this receiver

so i wanted to find out if either one of these will work
i am hoping the cheaper option works fine i am not obsesed with performance but i think i may go with the polk can you tell me if they will

here are the links to see detailed info and pictures

Onkyo TX-SR606 - 7.1-Channel Home Theater Receiver | Model Information | Onkyo USA Home Theater Products

thats the receiver and followed by the cheaper will upgrade later option
and the second link is the decent performance sub

FRYS.com*|*FISHER
Newegg.com - Polk Audio PSW10 Cherry Single 10-inch Powered Subwoofer

thank you for your time
i just need to know if either one will work and do the job with my incoming receiver

ecuadorche

Auditioning
Real Name
anthony
but will the polk connect and be compatible
that sub looks pretty good
i might get that instead but im trying to cut costs down as much as possible

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Yes, it has line level input. Connect from the Onkyo using a sub cable (monoprice.com or blue jeans cables for good and inexpensive).

Rick Steverson

Auditioning
Just to clarify: It's the norm fo Home Theater A/V receivers to have NOT have a built-in amplifier for the ".1" subwoofer channel. And the receiver will have a RCA connector with line level output for the subwoofer. It's labeled "Pre-Out Subwoofer" on your new receiver.

Every powered subwoofer designed for HT I've ever seen has a line level input RCA jack, making it a simple single cable hookup between the receiver and the sub.

You will have no problem with the Polk; it's compatible (line level input, or speaker level inputs if you want to go that route).

The Fisher appears to be fine as far as hooking up as well; it has line level input. Only thing I can't confirm is the use of an RCA connector for the line in (haven't found a photo of the back showing the controls and connectors) but that is expected.

So you should be able to use either. Or any of the hundreds of different powered subwoofers with line level inputs. It's your choice. And if you're working with limited funds, its understandable, lots of us piece our set-up together as we can afford. I started with a dvd player and a four channel setup from a mis-match of two different stereo speaker sets for a 4.0 configuration, picked up a matched set of left, right, and center channel speakers later to expand to 5.0, and then finally got sub (15" DIY). Work with your budget.

That said, you would be happy for some time with the Polk or the Dayton compared to the tiny Fisher. Moving lots of air is important for subwoofer impact and that 10" Polk or the 12" PE Dayton will do so much more than a 5" Fisher.

Rick Steverson

Auditioning
A second thing:

If you're trying to avoid cash outlays for a while, it is possible to connect using regular wire via "speaker level" input to the sub if you have some wire laying around.

There, you run ordinary wire from the left and right front channels to the speaker level input of the sub. No need for large gauge wire for that connection, 24 or 22 gauge wire would work fine.

If you wind up buying wire, Blue Jeans Cable is so good on price I would get the coax line level cable instead. Setup is much easier/better going that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks