What's new

Comparison shopping/auditioning...looking for more recommendations (1 Viewer)

Ryan_MF

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking to upgrade my home theater and I'm looking for suggestions. I'm looking to spend somewhere around 2500 on a full set of sub/speakers and would like to make sure I don't miss anything.

So far, I've auditioned Klipsch Reference series, Kef Q-series and the Paradigm Monitors (Monitor 9 based system). The Paradigm Monitors are far more expensive than the other two, but were worlds better in sound quality.

So...

1) Can anyone recommend other brands and builds in the Klipsch-Paradigm price range that would be worth auditioning?

2) Are the Paradigm Monitors a good cost-performance purchase?

Your help and advice is much appreciated.

Al Garay

Stunt Coordinator
Perhaps you be interested in a new Kef Home Theater system called KHT 2005.2? It was just released:
http://www.kef.com/KHT/index.htm

Satellites are 4" Uni Q Array
Frequency Response 80-20k HZ
10-100 watts Recommended power
8 ohm Impedance
Soft Black Finish
7.8"x5.1"x5.9"
Subwoofer 8" 150 Watts Powered
35-150 Hz Frequency Response
14.5"x12.6"x12.6"

It's a very nice, compact package for $1250 delivered.

Al

Ryan_MF

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking for something a bit bigger. I currently use Klipsch Quintets and a crappy Sony STR-DE545 receiver. I would like to upgrade to floor standing fronts, a large center and bipole/dipole rears.

Michael.Cu

Agent
If you can find them, Mission's m70 series is quite good. The m74s that I auditioned were excellent. However, they currently don't have a US distributor and it's tough to find them. But, if you do find a dealer that carries them you may be able to get a good discount(my local dealer was offering 30% off list and 40% off for the floor models.) If you live in Canada, they should be easier to find as Denon is still the distributor there.

http://www.mission.co.uk/index1.htm

Ryan_MF

Stunt Coordinator
One other thought I've been having is using either Dynaudio Audience 42s or Paradigm Studio 20s to put together a 5.1 system. Thoughts?

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit
Definitive Technology is worth an audition. If your main purpose is movies then I strongly suggest these. Having powered subs within the speaker is a wonderful thing for movies, especially when the center channel has one too.

Ryan_MF

Stunt Coordinator
OK - it IS down to the Dynaudio 42/52 and the Paradigm Studio 20s. I love the way that the Studios image, but I liked the warm, natural sound of the Dynaudios a bit better. Does anyone here have experience (good or bad) with either company or these specific models?

Adam

Stunt Coordinator
I love my B&W DM602's and 603's I compared them to Paradigm's ref studio 60's and chose the B&W's because I thought they had more natural bass and imaged better.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
The only input I have for you is that I continue to come across posts that say the Def Techs need a good amount of space around them to sound their best. Meaning don't put them against the wall or stereo cabinet, etc. Maybe you can get someone with actual Def Tech experience to comment on this.

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit
I have Def Techs and they are fairly close to the wall, about 9-12 inches and sound great. However I have the BP2006TL's and I think the bigger models do sound better as they get further from the wall. This is what a friend of mine said who has the BP2000TL's said.

JoeHard

Stunt Coordinator
Another vote for Def Tech.I have the BP 2002's and CLR 2002 center.The manual recommends 5 to 24 inches from back wall and 5 to 7 feet away from side walls.I have my towers next to my equipment racks without any significant problems.I will agree that these speakers are better for movies, but they are also good for music.Very open sound with big soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks