What's new

Comparison of 7.1 Speaker Packages (1 Viewer)

coiner

Grip
Real Name
Marty
I am looking at the most popular 7.1 Receiver/Speaker packages on Amazon and the two at the top are this one and this one. They will be used in a home theater setup. How can the two be compared and what accounts for the $300 price jump? Would these systems be considered a good value/quality speakers or should I look elsewhere? If these aren't the best in this price range, what other product recommendations would anyone here have?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The speakers in the 9400 are much better then those in the 8409, but that's not saying much :) . I think I'm the only one around here who thinks the 9400 is any good :blush: . It would be comparable to Polk Monitors and a PartsExpress 12' sub IMO. But $1000 is too much for it. Get a refurbished unit from ac4l.com. A three year extended warranty would be $45. http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKHTS9400/Onkyo-HT-S9400-THX-7.1-Ch-Network-Home-Theater-Receiver/Speaker/1.html#!warranties

coiner

Grip
Real Name
Marty
@gene c: I don't want a refurbished unit, I'm looking to buy new. @Brainwasher: My price limit is $1000 but I'd like to get away with more like $700-800. I would much prefer something that is on Amazon as I have credits to use there. @schan: Ok... well would you give a little more insight on that? Both the units seem to have rave reviews on Amazon.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
"Refurb" is "new"...anyway... Both systems use(I think, been awhile since I cared to check) the Onkyo RC360. The THX means the speakers meet a "minimum goal as prescribed by THX". The vast majority of AVR/speakers you buy "meet" THX standards. Matter of fact, you'd have to buy absolute junk "not" to clear the hurdle of THX. Onkyo just decided to get that one "certified"...(golf clap) For $1000(since you don't want to pay under $600....for the same exact thing)... The RC360 paired up with these... http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-DV62si-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B00006JPDI/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1358185898&sr=1-2&keywords=bic+dv62 (3 pairs) http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-DV-62CLRS-Channel-Speaker/dp/B00009WBYL/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1358185920&sr=1-1&keywords=bic+dv62clrs (or its littler brother 52clrs) with any one of the BIC subs called...V1020/1220 or F12. Same money, better overall outcome.

coiner

Grip
Real Name
Marty
Well I would consider buying refurbished, it's just that I've been burned in the past buying "refurbished" electronics. If that site is trusted I suppose it would be worth the $450 of with warranty. I appreciate the in-depth analysis, but since you're saying that you wouldn't buy that system, I'm wondering what you would buy. Since buying refurbished would mean going outside Amazon, what 7.1 system would you put together if you were buying in my price range?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I just gave you a viable option. Fry(if you have them close) has the Infinity Primus. Cost about the same. Pioneer Andrew Jones. Same basic cost. Polk Monitor/Monitor II/"new" Monitor. About the same cost. Mordaunt Short Carnival. You'd probably have to spend $1200. Boston Acoustics Classic/MCS. Either series, about the same cost. Yamaha NS series. About the same cost. I could type all day.

coiner

Grip
Real Name
Marty
Ok, well thanks for all the suggestions. To me, it sounds like you're pretty much saying that all these systems are going to perform well and to just go with the best deal. Thanks again.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
coiner said:
Ok, well thanks for all the suggestions. To me, it sounds like you're pretty much saying that all these systems are going to perform well and to just go with the best deal. Thanks again.
Pretty much. Unless you had a pair of JBL ES, sitting next to a pair of Infinity Primus, in turn sitting next to the BIC DV...I doubt you could tell a difference. It is all about frame of reference. You could(I think) even pick up 5 speakers from HTD and still stay under budget with an AVR and sub. HTD makes good subwoofers(they cost $100 more than you can find "elsewhere" for the same performance..but...they are the only brand, at a price that fits your budget, that don't use a plate amp for the subwoofer) http://www.htd.com/Products/powered-subwoofers/Level-THREE-Powered-Subwoofer That is a good subwoofer. Is it going to "perform" better than a BIC F12? No. But it is easier to "upgrade later" if you decide you want a larger subwoofer...or more power. Cause the amp and subwoofer...aren't "one piece".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks