What's new

Companion Books for TV on DVD series (1 Viewer)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
There's a great book on the DICK VAN DYKE SHOW by Vince Waldron that is a must have. It's very well researched. David VP gave his seal of approval on this over at Amazon so you know it has to be good :)

Perry Mason fans will want to look for Brian Kelleher's book. It's OOP so it may take some searching, but is well worth it if you can find it at a used book store. It's a fairly slim book done without the cooperation of PM staff though so don't expect something at the level of the Waldron book. I'm told that a new, more authoritative book about the PM series is being written by Jim Davidson and will hopefully be published soon.

Is there a definitive Andy Griffith book out there? I've seen some fluff pieces that rely primarily on pictures and episode synopses, but nothing that takes the reader behind the scenes. Have I just missed it?

Steve

MattSav

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
Two of my favorites:

The 24: 1st Season companion - presented like a Congress Sub-Committee Finding report that details everything that happened on Day one.

Oz - based on the HBO series and written like the diary of one of the characters of the series.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
For 3's Company fans, the book "Come and Knock on our Door" by Chris Mann is invaluable. http://www.amazon.com/Come-Knock-Our.../dp/0312168039 It also includes info on The Ropers and 3's A Crowd. The episode guides are a little bit skimpy, but the value comes from all the thorough interviews with the entire cast (except for Priscilla Barnes). Chris got ahold of them all before they started passing away, and some of them are exceptionally candorous in their opinions of the show and their experiences there.

For "I Love Lucy," I've always relied on "The I Love Lucy Book" by Bart Andrews. http://www.amazon.com/Love-Lucy-Book...e=UTF8&s=books Now, it is 20 years old, and some of his comments have proved over time to be infactual. He references a lot of old Lucy films that were missing at the time, such as the original pilot, and I suppose his research wasn't strong enough to get the story right about that and other films that have come to light since. There are other statements he makes throughout the book that have since been challenged by Lucy participants. He really needs to go through that book, correct its errors and reissue it. But his episode guides are very thorough and accurate and that's why I still refer to it.

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
If there's a Dollar Tree store in your area, they have stacks of "Desperate Housewives: Behind Closed Doors," a very slick-looking companion guide, on sale for...you guessed it...a buck. I'd snatch one up in a second if I watched the show. I also spotted several copies of the official companion guide to season one of "Lost" at The Christmas Tree Store a few months back (think it was $5.99). Sorry if this actually belongs in the "Coupons and Bargains" forum, but it seemed appropriate to post here.

michael_ks

Screenwriter
I'm something of a companion book/tv genre fanatic and currently own these titles. "The Twilight Zone Companion by Marc Zicree is an obvious omission in my library--I intend to get this soon. The ones I have:

"The Outer Limits Companion" by David Schow
"The Alfred Hitchcock Presents Companion" by Grams & Wikstrom
"The Kung Fu Book of Caine" by Herbie Pilato
"The Fugitive Recaptured" by Ed Robertson
"Rod Serlings Night Gallery: An After Hours Tour" by Skelton & Benson
"The Have Gun Will Travel Companion" by Martin Grams
"Saints and Avengers: British Adventure Series of the '60s" by J. Chapman
"The Untouchables" by Tise Vahimagi
"Riding the Video Range: The Rise & Fall of the Western on TV" by G. Yoggy
"The Rifleman" (TV Milestones Series) by Christopher Sharrett
"The Man from U.N.C.L.E. Book" by Jon Heitland
"The Saint" by Burl Barer
"The Official TV Western Round-Up Book" by Summers & Crowley

And forthcoming in this week's mail, a newly published book I've been anticipating for decades! Namely--

"Irwin Allen Television Productions, 1964-1970: A Critical History of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Lost in Space, The Time Tunnel and Land of the Giants" by Jon Abbott (11/18/2006)

List price for the above is around $65 but I was able to find an outlet selling it for half price.

S

silverking

The Virginian -Companion to the TV series (NEW)
Gunsmoke - Barrabas - expensive but amazing
Wild Wild West- Kesler
Mission Impossible
Alias Smith & Jones (NEW)
Combat- Davidson
Maverick - Robertson
The Fugitive- Robertson
Bonanza (3 books)- Leiby also Dortort & Shapiro
Man from UNCLE
The Night Stalker Companion

Can't recall all the authors but will post if anyone's interested.

michael_ks

Screenwriter

True, as I have read the book before. I don't mind this really--better than to have someone gushing over every episode. David Schow is tough on many episodes of "The Outer Limits" too but his reasoning is very sound and it's warranted IMO. I don't know how Jon Abbott treats the Irwin Allen series in his new book, but there is much there from all four shows one can find fault over.

I wasn't aware of companion guides for "Alias Smith & Jones" and "The Virginian"--need to check those out.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
"The Lucy Book" is wonderful. It contains entries for every single series and special that Lucy was a part of over her entire television career. That includes game show appearances as well. The section on "I Love Lucy" is a treasure trove. The author lets the reader know what was altered on episodes during re-runs and describes various openings over the years. Interviews with those who worked on the show and those who knew Lucy best (including her children, who have approved of the book) are sprinkled throughout. Perfect!

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit
""Irwin Allen Television Productions, 1964-1970: A Critical History of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Lost in Space, The Time Tunnel and Land of the Giants" by Jon Abbott (11/18/2006)

List price for the above is around $65 but I was able to find an outlet selling it for half price."

Please share the outlet selling this for half price--

Thanks-
Jack

S

silverking

Yes, sorry. I posted the list whilst at work and didn't have access to my bookshelf.

Further details - Alias Smith & Jones-The story of two very good badmen.
by Sandra Sagala & Joanne Bagwell - Bear Manor Media.

History of TV's Virginian (62-71) - by Paul Green - McFarland

Wild Wild West- by Sue Kesler - Arnett Press (great book but I think out of print)

Reference Guide to Televison's Bonanaza - by Bruce & Linda Leiby - McFarland
Bonanza- Unofficial Story of the Ponderosa- by Melany Shapiro
Bonanza- by David Greenland (foreword by David Dortort)- R&G Productions

Man from UNCLE by Jon Heitland - St. Martin's Press

Gunsmoke by Sue Ann & Gabor Barabas - McFarland - outstanding book

Maverick -Legend of the West
The Fugitive Recaptured - both by Ed Robertson -Pomegranate Press
Also Official Guide to The Fugitive - by Mel Proctor - Longmeadow Press

Night Stalker Companion - by Mark Dawidziak- Pomegranate Press

& two others I forgot
Booking Hawaii 5-0 by Karen Rhodes - McFarland

Quinn Martin - Producer - by Jonathon Etter - McFarland
Overview of the famed producers career & series.

Some of these may be out of print but worth checking Amazon. I appreciate not all these series are on DVD, but they all ought to be .

michael_ks

Screenwriter

silverking--

Could you provide your impressions of these two books? Is "The Invaders" covered decently enough in the QM book?

S

silverking

silverking--

Could you provide your impressions of these two books? Is "The Invaders" covered decently enough in the QM book?[/quote]

The Fugitive book is large format,softcover. Titled 'The Official Fans Guide to the Fugitive' . Don't know what makes it 'official'. Has an intro by Barry Morse, usual background on how series came to be ,actors etc.List of Kimble's aliases,copy of the original treatment for the series by Roy Huggins & episode guide with trivia. A decent enough book, well researched. Published in 94.About 180 pages. Comparing it to the Robertson book I would say the latter wins by a short head, as it has a more detailed episode guide.

Quinn Martin, Producer has approx 200 pages, hardcover.It is really a book about the series he produced rather than QM. Each series being a chapter. There are a lot of quotes and anecdotes by people who worked on the programmes & overall is interesting & informative.'The Invaders' chapter covers about 12 pages.There are no episode guides.However came away feeling could have been better.

Hope this helps
Both books good but not great. 3 stars out of five.

michael_ks

Screenwriter
Thanks for summarizing these two books for me. Sounds like I'm not missing too much by not having the "Official Fan Guide to The Fugitive". The Robertson book is quite good actually and something I'd be referring to consistently if and when Paramount ever releases this monumental series.

As for the QM book, I did read a solid review on Amazon which stated that the author appeared to me a bit 'green' in the area of television production. I would have preferred some emphasis on Quinn Martin the man as he was such an amazing personality, but may still pick this book up just the same.

StrTrkker

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim S
Heres a list of the ones I have...

Star Trek: The Next Generation Companion (Larry Nemecek)
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Companion (Terry j. Erdmann)
Star Trek: Voyager Companion (Paul Ruditis)
Flintstones: A Modern Stone Age Phenomenon (T.R. Adams)
Speed Racer: The Official 30th Anniversary (Elizabeth Moran)
Fractured Fairy Tales (A.J. Jacobs)
Bradymania (Elizabeth Moran)
The Lucy Book (Geoffrey Mark Fidelman)
I Love Lucy (Michael McClay)
Sesame Street: Unpaved (David Borgenicht)
The Mystery Science Theater 3000 Amazing Collosal Episode Guide
Hi Bob: Guide to The Bob Newhart Show (Joey Green)
The Get Smart Handbook (Joey Green)
The Unofficial Gilligans Island Handbook (Joey Green)
Inside Gilligans Island (Sherwood Schwartz)
The World According to Beaver (Irwyn Applebaum)
The Complete Mission:Impossible Dossier (Patrick J. White)
The Rockford Files (Ed Robertson)
The Fugitive: Recaptured (Ed Robertson)
A Viewers Guide to Green Acres (Stephen Cox)
The Addams Chronicles (Stephen Cox)
Dreaming of Jeannie (Steve Cox)
Hogans Heroes:Behind the Scenes at Stalag 13 (Brenda Scott Royce)
Bewitched Forever (Herbie Pilato)
Charlies Angels Handbook (Jack Condon/David Hofstede)
The Man from U.N.C.L.E. (Jon Heitland)
The Official Prisoner Companion (Matthew White/Jaffer Ali)
The Twilight Zone Companion (Marc Scott Zicree)
The Outer Limits Companion (David J. Schow)
The Night Stalker Companion (Mark Dawidziak)
That Book about That Girl (Stephen Cole)
Inside Mayberry: The Andy Griffith Handbook (Dan Harrison/Bill Habeeb)
The Andy Griffith Show Book (Ken Beck/Jim Clark)
The Andy Griffith Show (Richard Kelly)
The Dick Van Dyke Show: Anatomy of a Classic (Ginny Weissman/Coyne Steven Sanders)
Dick Van Dyke Show (Vince Waldron)

A lotta these books I picked up at the closeout section at Borders and Barnes and Nobles. I also found a few online at sites like www.allbooksforless.com, www.biggerbooks.com and www.booksamillion.com.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks