What's new

Community - Season 5 (8 Viewers)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
NBC to Ironside : "You might want to take this news sitting down."

It's just amazing how far NBC is from its "Must-See TV" heyday. I remember when they had shows so popular that crap filler like Veronica's Closet and Jesse could count on getting at least one full season before getting the ax. Those were the days.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
"Community Enrolls Arrested Development Creator Mitch Hurwitz as Guest-Star."

Also, Tim Heidecker and Eric Wareheim:

Hurwitz will play Preston Koogler, Greendale’s ultimate party animal. Women want him, and guys want to be him. But, woe to the administrator who tries to stand between Koogler and the good times.

Meanwhile, Heidecker and Eric Wareheim will play Roger and Billy, respectively, who are involved in one of Dean Pelton’s (Jim Rash) grand plans for Greendale.

Can't complain at all, although I have to say that -- until very recently -- Tim probably wasn't as well-served on Eastbound as he could've been, largely playing the wet-blanket straight-man to Kenny's antics.

Hopefully Harmon will be keeping things more in the Tim & Eric absurdist-wheelhouse this time around.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Holy crap. Him and Jonathan Banks both. Wonder if they'll be sharing any scenes together?

The guest-star list this season is insane. Saturday Night Live doesn't get this many good guests in a season.

And unlike other shows, Harmon and Co. know how to use their guest-stars effectively.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Aaaaaaaaand, add David Cross to the mix, now. Some mild spoilers at the link, but it all reads like good news to me. On the other hand...

McHale, Jacobs, Brown, Pudi, Brie, and Glover flip through the new scripts. "The study group's still in this, right...??"

Seriously, that article lists seventeen fairly-famous guest stars (certainly famous to HTF'ers, at least). And this is still a thirteen-episode season.

However, I imagine a lot of these are bit-parts. Ben Folds said on Nerdist that he only had, like, two lines total in the episode he did.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Metric crapton of new Season 5 pics just released (including lots of Jonathan Banks):

NUP_157951_0847.jpg

NUP_157951_0694.jpg

NUP_158119_0435.jpg

NUP_157951_0290.jpg

NUP_158119_0424.jpg

NUP_158119_0286.jpg

NUP_158119_0371.jpg

Plus a whole bunch more at the link:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/14/community-season-5-images

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
New trailer. With a fucking Zardoz reference:

"From the executive producer of Community : Seasons 1-3..comes Community : Season 5."

I am excited.

Looks like "The floor is lava" will be this season's Paintball/Pillowfight equivalent.

("I masturbated EVERYWHERE!!")

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Starburns wearing a red Zardoz-mankini? My life is now officially complete.

That looked marvelous. I'm worried that I now know too much about Dan Harmon to enjoy things properly, but that looked simply marvelous.

And being exposed to Harmon's craziness from Harmontown actually makes me like this show more. Because both the brilliant spikes of the show and the absolute lunacy make total sense. They're organic.

With nerd-stuff, I'm always wary of pandering. But seeing how Harmon's mind works makes me see that all of the insane stuff I love on Community is actually "true."

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Sepinwall's giving the first four episodes high praise.

Getting excited for this.

Yeah, the good word has made me jazzed again. Really could use some of that old Community magic.

Putting this show back on the DVR has never been easier. Between Community, Sherlock, Justified, Downton, and all the other great shows coming back in the next two weeks, it's gonna be awesome. Cannot wait.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The return has entered some dark territory, but the humor seems to be back on track after last year's weird facsimile.I'm sure there will be some who disagree. :)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Not me. ;)

Darker than expected, smarter than expected. Jonathan Banks is looking like a masterstroke already. The tag with him and Troy and Abed was exceptional. But I especially liked him delighting in shutting Leonard down.

"It's ONE duck, his name is Jim, and publishers are interested!"

I was sitting around waiting for Wheel of Fortune to end and Community to begin, and started wondering how long it would take for Pierce to show up this season (I was positive he would). Sure as hell didn't expect episode one. Chase's cameo was awesome, but felt like his apology. A well-deserved one.

Welcome back, Community...we missed you.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I was surprised to see Chevy Chase. I was kind of hoping that they'd just never mention Pierce again as a weird joke (like Chuck Cunningham on Happy Days). Now I wouldn't be surprised if Chase actually makes an appearance outside of a hologram later on.

With just one episode, Jonathan Banks seems like he's fit right in.

Maybe they're using Magnitude jokes too much but they still crack me up.

And the answer to the Nicolas Cage question is that he's good. He's like Marlon Brando in that he's crazy enough to go way over the top but his willingness to take the chance on going too big and take very offbeat roles is what makes him a great, interesting and exciting actor.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I sorta felt bad for Nicolas Cage after Abed's meltdown in front of the class.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Now I'm bummed that we're only getting half a season.

"It would be like me blaming the owls for how much I suck at analogies."

Later...

"I don’t believe in evil, but this school clearly got a finger up its butt as a child."

This is what it feels like when comedy has actual intelligence behind it. Jokes within jokes within jokes.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
joshEH said:
I was sitting around waiting for Wheel of Fortune to end and Community to begin, and started wondering how long it would take for Pierce to show up this season (I was positive he would). Sure as hell didn't expect episode one. Chase's cameo was awesome, but felt like his apology. A well-deserved one.
Dan Harmon might have been a massive dick to Chevy Chase in real life, but he certainly treated the Pierce character with more respect than the replacement showrunners. Pierce in the first three seasons had a real arc towards being a better and more socially aware person. The new showrunners were so desperate to replicate what people loved about the first three seasons that they reset Pierce back to being a clear-cut nasty bigot. The whole controversy with Chase dropping the n-word was a reaction to that unfortunate development.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks