What's new

Community - season 1 (1 Viewer)

Joe S

Second Unit
Yep, I remember that certain girls had them. I was interested in how they were made.
Wow, haven't thought about them for decades.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
The wiki page shows you how to make them. I gave it a try and it works. I wouldn't know what to write in them, though, or even when/how/where to do the writing.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Hey, I'm waiting for snow, too! But, I'm in Texas. Chance of it tonight, greater chance tomorrow. Whoo hoo! (Probably not a cause for celebration in states where you have to dig yourself out, but we get it so rarely and lightly).

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Just an inch or two here during the mid-afternoon. I'm responsible for salting and shoveling the parking lot at the small business I work for, so this was very good news for me. They were talking as much as nine inches at one point. Crazy winter when Washington DC has gotten more snow than Buffalo.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
The dog just got me up to let her out, and the ground in Dallas is now covered with snow. She was out about two minutes and came in with it thick on her coat! Even in the dark, the flakes look really big. I didn't explore too much, but the pavement was wet but not slick. Hopefully, that'll describe the roads as well.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Terrific episode tonight. I want a Cupid Being doll! I want to send a Cupid Being doll to myself and pretend it was from a secret admirer! After the BC tribute scene, I can only hope they do a Summer School studying hard montage to "Mind Over Matter."

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Now that makes 2 shows with John Hughes homages, wonder which will be the next show to do another homage?

Enjoyed this episode as well, this is a fun show. It'll be interesting to see how they keep the gang together next season.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Not sure if it's just my signal but the last two or three shows have had a grainy film look and even what looked like dust or scratches.

Anyone else notice that?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Loved the look of delight on Annie's face when she was checking out Winger. Loved the look of horror on Senor Chang's when Winger went for the win (and the look of delight on the dean's face). I didn't get the tag scene. Abed and Troy kind of looked like Bert and Ernie, but whatever their actions were a reference to was lost on me.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The Mad Men reference slayed me since it was done to Annie. Very fun episode, the crowd reaction shots were spot-on.

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
This past episode had me in tears! And loved the use of Warren Zevon's "Werewolves Of London" in the semi nake pool scene! Correction...LOL! Very naked pool scene. This show is solidly funny!

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
This is the most criminally underrated sitcom since I don't know when. When you consider how original and smart and inventive the show is, the incredibly talented cast, and the sheer avalanche of LOL moments, the fact that this show isn't a critical darling like the very funny but not very original Modern Family means someone is sleeping at the wheel. But it's been renewed for a full 22 (although that in and of itself is increasingly becoming less of a sure thing than it used to be), so there always hope that someone at EW or NYT or where ever will wake up and give this show its due before it goes off the air.

As much as the hour long Office pulled at the heartstrings and delivered huge laughs, the episode of Community before it out-funnied it and developed the characters and gave us White Abed, one of the most genius moments in sitcom history. And then to have Abed mimic Don Draper and Jeff Winger to a T just shot the whole thing into the stratosphere. Oh, and by the way, Jeff's pool side story was a sparkling send up of underdog sports movies and also chock full of laffos.

After watching an episode like that, one of the best episodes in the series short run, all I can ask of the critics is, "What else do you want?" Because that episode of Community was easily better than any Modern Family episode and on par with the hallowed Arrested Development.

The only consolation is that, for the standards of NBC, people are watching. So at least there are some people with taste out there.

The last scene was of Abed and Troy acting out Bert and Ernie, which is why Troy gave back the book he borrowed only with the pages ripped out and the reason why they ate the cookies like muppets. The scene is cut short when Troy realizes he has a funeral to go to.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Hanson Yoo

After watching an episode like that, one of the best episodes in the series short run, all I can ask of the critics is, "What else do you want?"
I agree. I was really happy when I saw that it had been renewed for a second season, because as you say, it's criminally underrated. Outside of these forums, I don't know a single person who watches the show.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Originally Posted by Hanson Yoo
The last scene was of Abed and Troy acting out Bert and Ernie, which is why Troy gave back the book he borrowed only with the pages ripped out and the reason why they ate the cookies like muppets. The scene is cut short when Troy realizes he has a funeral to go to.
I guess it's been too long since I've seen the 'Street for me to get the book reference. I don't know if I saw the cookie thing, since my DVR always cuts out before the tag is over. I need to check my schedule and see if I can pad the recording by a minute. Now that some things have ended, I think it might be possible.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
IIRC (since it's been a while since I saw Sesame Street myself), Ernie would tweak Bert's literal nature by going hyper-literal to the point of nonsense. So Troy gives the book with all the pages back to Abed, only in more pieces than in the original form. Then Bert would get mad.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks