What's new

Community - season 1 (1 Viewer)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Originally Posted by Derek Miner

I'm also assuming "cherry daquiri" was an inside joke - it was Gillian Jacobs' "stripper name" in "Choke."
I think that and last week's line about "pleasuring yourself to the E channel" are improved lines. I read an article about the show before it aired, and Joel McHale was teasing one of the cast members about stealing their improved line. I wonder how much of it is in fact improved -- some of the Pierce stuff sounds like pure Chevy.

BTW how many people read Derek's post, read the phrase, "Gillian Jacobs' "stripper name" in 'Choke'.", and took a quick trip to Bockbuster? Greg? Anyone?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I've seen the screencaps and they were quite nice (do I mean the screencaps or. . . ?). I'm not a Palahniuk fan and the premise of "Choke" seems pretty stupid to me. Somebody saves you from choking and then they have to start paying you regularly? Huh? Maybe I'm missing something.

I'm sure clips from the strip club scenes are somewhere out there (see what I did?).

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanson Yoo

some of the Pierce stuff sounds like pure Chevy.
Strangely enough, I find Chevy Chase the weak link in most of the episodes, even though I like him in general.

As for Choke, I haven't seen the movie, and haven't read the book in a while, but as I recall it's not so much the money, but it's more about the connection he feels to people when they save his life.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H

I'm not a Palahniuk fan and the premise of "Choke" seems pretty stupid to me. Somebody saves you from choking and then they have to start paying you regularly? Huh? Maybe I'm missing something.
The angle on the choking to elicit sympathy from people (which brings the money) is only a minor part of the film version (never read the book), but it connects with the larger theme, along the lines of what Joe said above. The main plot is a bit of farce between Sam Rockwell and Kelly MacDonald concerning who the main character's real father is. The whole is a bit sloppy, but it has a couple of great scenes, my favorite being a conversation between Rockwell and Gillian Jacobs.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Good episode tonight. Anthony Michael Hall was pretty funny as the meathead bully. I liked that Troy and Annie were too young to know who Billy Joel is.

I'm guessing that since they've run 12 episodes of this show already that it won't be back until March/after the Olympics. I would assume the same for Parks And Recreation as well.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
This is the first show since Arrested Development or the UK The Office (and I guess HBO's Extras) where I actually laugh all the way out loud.

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
That was a great episode. I'd rank it right along side the Halloween one if not just a tad funnier. I was laughing through almost the entire episode.

Some great quotables in this one:

"Agnostic. The lazy man's Atheist." LOL!
"Jew". "Say the whole word!"
"Give him the Forest Whitaker eye".

Oh, and Shirley's politically correct version of Silent Night was perfect.

Politically Correct "Silent Night" (as sung by Shirley)
Sensible night, appropriate night
Snow on ground, left and right
Round yon purchase of decorative things
Tolerant rewrite of carols to sing
Function with relative ease,
Function with relative ease.

What a fantastic show!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I didn't like the one before the break, but this one was back on track. Loved the "Getting rid of Britta" callback.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Have they evolved Jeff too quickly? He started out a selfish jerk, and now he's selflessly trying to help Annie (even though they implied he did it out of jealousy, I think his stated motive was the real one). I like where he's at, but it may not leave far for him to go. I don't know how long a show with this premise can last anyway, though it hasn't run out of steam. It's funny how even the recurring characters like Vaughn are well-drawn.

"It's a good day for. . . ."
"For being gay!"

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Yeah, it was great, though I didn't really like her ending up with Mr. Tiny Nips.

Joe S

Second Unit
In the opening of the show, they show one of those things made of a folded sheet of paper that you "operate" with your fingers- I recall them from elementary school. What are those things called? I don't really remember what they were for, but I think someone showed me how to make one once. Do the kids nowadays still do things like that?

Joe_H

Screenwriter
I think it's just called a paper fortune teller. No idea if kids still make them nowadays though.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
They're like paper magic 8 balls. You ask a question and the paper is opened to a rhyme and what you land on is your answer. There's a page that calls them cootie catchers and an image search on that comes up with them. Don't know if kids still use them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_fortune_teller

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks