What's new

Commercials you're tired of seeing... (1 Viewer)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
That car ad where they show the car driving on twisty but scenic roads.

Oh wait, that's all of them.

I don't see the reason for advertising cars. People only buy a new car maybe every few years at most - and they're hardly going to make their decision based on ads.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
And when people do buy a new car or truck in these commercials (particularly trucks) they're first instinct is to drive it through mud and over big jagged boulders until they find themselves atop a mountain somewhere. What's with that? Just once i'd like to see someone in those commercials do that, and then get out of the truck, look around and say to themselves "where the hell am I and why am I up here?"

I'm having a ball with this thread, can you tell? ;)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

I hate all of those damn Jamster commercials. My friend came up to visit over New Year's, and while were watching the Tenacious D show on Comedy Central they played the damn commercial with the "WHERE MY HOOCHIES AT!" ringtone every break. Aaaah! Bastards!

Bren_Chris

Stunt Coordinator
Oh yeah - automobile ads! I forgot those ominous words:

Dodge - Hemi - Ram

Those ads with the two redneck Hemi groupies following around this other guy with The Truck...ugh. Or the couple seeing the marriage counselor (?) and the man says, "we're crusing along...the hemi's kicking some serious butt."

I want to take my Hemi Ram (insured by Geico) down to Krystal and buzz someone on my Nextel, then pop some boner pills and log onto America Online....

Bryan Toth

Stunt Coordinator
I think they've stopped airing (I haven't seen one in a while) but those Citi ads with the identity theft people were the most god-awful commercials I had seen in years. If I had a Citi card, I'd cut it up and mail it back to them ...... ugh, were those annoying ....

Bryan

LewB

Screenwriter
I hate any car/tuck/SUV commercial where the vehicle is being operated in a hazardous or illegal manner. Or even worse, a computer generated scenario. 'Closed course, trained driver' my ass !! You are implying that it's OK to use the vehicle in a manner that is dangerous.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

IMO despite all the reverb and bass qualities of the announcers, they haven't managed to make the very Jewish sounding word "Hemi" sound macho. Oi vey, I strained my hemi.

(Not meant to be taken as anti-Jewish, I'm just saying, the word "hemi" sounds more likely to relate to circumcision than to a part of a car).

Tony Kwong

Supporting Actor
I hate most commericials because they are so loud compared to the program. I mostly watch programs when everybody else is asleep.

On a tangent, I was recently watching Hawaii 50 on a local station, and I'm in shock as to how little commericials old shows have. They look as if they are the original length instead of syndicated edited cuts we see so often. 1-3 commercials than back to the show. Same with Streets of San Francisco, sometimes there is one commericial, one station bumper and the show is back! It's weird! I forgotten how it was back then.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
I hate commercials for something you obviously already have - as and example:

I have Direct-TV, and am currently watching Direct-TV, when a million adds for Direct-TV come on during any break. I've already got it, so quit bombarding me with it. The same goes for the new High Def Universal channel. They show the same commercial every break - and it is a commercial to get the Universal HD channel. Hello - what do you think I am watching....

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Martino,
I understand where your coming from, I hate most commercials, but to be fair, the commercial's don't know you have that product. It would be just like me getting pissed everytime I see a commercial for ZEST soap because I have a bar of ZEST in my bathroom already. ;)

And I have one more, those Ditech commercials with that walking headache known as David Spade! This little troll's carreer died along with Chris Farley, God rest his soul.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Spade’s career died with Farley’s death?

If you look at his filmography on IMDB he has been working regularly since Farley's death. In fact if I were an actor I would wish that my career was as dead as Spade's has been the last eight years.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Nope. A teaser, commercial breaks, Act 1, break, Act 2, break, Act 3, break, Act 4, break, tag. Usually a couple of commercials per break. If someone is showing them with fewer commercials, it is because they're having trouble selling the ad time. Streets of San Francisco, like all the old Quinn Martin shows, actually numbers the act breaks on screen. It isn't the number of breaks that have changed, it is how much time is devoted to show vs. commercials. In the 60s and 70s you might have nearly 50 mintues of show per hour, vs. about 42 minutes now. Older shows get trimmed to make up the ad minutes. When The Sci-Fi Channel in the U.S. wanted to run the original Star Trek uncut they found they had to give it a 90 minute timeslot in order to sell enough commercials to make it worthwhile. They padded the shows with backstage chitchat with Shatner or Nimoy. :)

Regards,

Joe

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor
Jamster. Unless they're owned by Viacom, they're spending a fortune on ads. MTV and Comedy Central play at least one Jamster ad every commercial break. The worst I saw was 5 (five) in one break.

I hope they're broke soon.

Kenny Foor

Stunt Coordinator
I'd have to say any of the current crop of commercials to use that one song from Kill Bill. I know one is the Chevy Cobalt and another is for Vonage. Or any for home loans or any financial institution for that matter. Oh yeah I almost forgot, the ones for Walmart. I cant stand them. I almost forgot the ones about the Girls Gone Wild series. But every time I see those I'm reminded of Dave Chappelles Third World Girls Gone Wild commercial. :D And finally, any commercial produced locally.

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
I believe its State Farm or American Family Insurance where the daughter has 2 accidents within 15 seconds after having her drivers license for 45 minutes. First they don't tell you that they jacked up the premiums for the daughter and second when they have the shot of the daughter in the car and she bumps the horn and it lets out a beep and she is startled by the sound...I don't want that person driving on the road with me!

Another commerical that kinda pisses me off is the new Mastercard Commercial with the guy on his cell phone (Mike) calling a women he just met (Nicki) multiple times. I hope Jon Favreau is getting some money for this otherwise its a blatent rip off from the movie Swingers. They even use the same names from the movie.

Paul

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
"the commercial's don't know you have that product"

Well, this commercial is shown on the channel I am currently watching...so they know I have the product. The Universal HD channel only shows 1 commercial - and it is for the Universal HD channel. This is not a preview of what is coming up (which would be fine) - but an add to get the channel, but you have to have the channel to get the add.

This drives me nuts....

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
While the Verizon wireless ads are okay, I'm getting really sick of seeing that nerd come onto the screen and say, "Can you hear me now? Good." That gimmick's become really old, it's not even enjoyable now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks