1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Commercials that just irritate you....

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by todd s, Feb 14, 2006.

1. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Just be glad we don't live in a country where they aren't supposed to mention the name brand of what they are shilling in the commercial itself.

Yep...there are countries with rules like that.

2. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

USA...USA...USA!

[​IMG]

What's she selling?!?

3. davidHartzog

davidHartzog Premium
    Supporter

John smith
    They all irritate me, its one reason i have dvds.

4. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Don't know...but I'd be buying this though...

Something could get tickled, but it would have nothing to do with Elmo...

5. Ejanss

Ejanss Banned

[Partial content removed by moderator. MF]

There will be bad blood from the Overlords toward Apple for our next foreseeable lifetime, on a deep cultural level with no end in sight.
    Most of the other ads for MS's tablets are pretty straightforward-happy, selling them to the naive non-techie gullible folk--I don't use an iPad, so I didn't know they didn't have a USB port--but bring out the mention of Apple, and we're back on the 4th-grade schoolyard, taking down the Mean Poopyheads Who Hit Them FIrst...

And I don't have time to go back through literally ten years of this thread, so quick recap:Have we mentioned Geigo's two "random" guitar dolts now gone further off-topic into carpool folks having maddeningly non-sequitir discussions about nothing?

(It's the Curse of the Duck: Insurance commercials are so afraid of being "boring" that they have to create marketable "Characters" that take over the point of the ad, to the point that the Big Somber Black Guy from Allstate now starts to look better and better for actually telling us about policies.
    Uh, Geico, when you did the "Little pig who goes whee", it was just supposed to be an expression, we weren't asking that you create another breakout sitcom character...)

6. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

No need to use inflammatory political rhetoric to make your point.

7. Ejanss

Ejanss Banned

Well, what would YOU pick for a metaphor? Harvard vs. Yale, Jack Benny vs. Fred Allen, Yankees vs. Red Sox, those're too cute and harmless!--
    They're just not deep-seated, buried-trauma and neurotic enough for the blood-vengeance persecution-complexes of "Microsoft vs. Apple's old ads with the Cool Guy 'making fun of' the Tubby Guy"!

(And that, folks, was pretty much to the entire extent that they saw those old ads...Sad, really. All the brilliant techie-satire content in the ads, about Windows Vista's problems?--Zoom. Ten miles over their heads, and all they could see was "being picked on".)

8. Stan

Stan Premium
    Supporter

Probably mentioned already, but I despise most of the insurance ads, particularly Progressive and "The General"

Odd part is my car insured by Geico, which I fell for from a TV ad after Farmers doubled my rates. Surprisingly they've been wonderful. Had an accident about three years ago (after Farmers dumped me), blamed on me, but they fought for me all the way. Turned out it was a total scam. I caused an entire $500 damage to her SUV and she tried to claim thousands of dollars in damage. They dug deep, turns out most of the damage was way to high on the vehicle for me to possibly have caused the damage, the paint didn't match, etc.

She didn't receive a penny and didn't even show up to court so my ticket was thrown out. I'm very pleased with them.

9. Dick

Dick Well-Known Member

Rick
    This character "Flo" in the Progressive ads makes me want to cancel my policy with the company. She is very deliberately made up to look like a floosy, with the worse hair and make up this side of Devine in a John Waters movie. Yet, inexplicably, she is hugely popular, and is appearing in weirder and weirder ads as time goes on. I grab my remote and switch channels whenever one of these ads begins. I can't stand her ad character. I am sure she is a wonderful person in real life, but as far as I'm concerned, my insurance company is using her as a corporate whore whose actual personality is overridden by her t.v. image as a vacuous corporate lackey. I am ashamed that Progressive uses her in this way, and more ashamed that so many of us find this desirable enough that we purchase policies because of her inane hawking. But I am hypocritical, in that I maintain my policy with Progressive (established long before "Flo" appeared) because it is the best deal in town. So, full disclosure: I try to ignore the Flo character. I am part of the problem.

10. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Well-Known Member

Greg
    Not really that bad, but I find myself doing the "really? really? really? really?" echo in real life, to my own annoyance.

This, on the other hand, is kind of enraging:

11. Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell Well-Known Member

Dammit, Greg! Now you're making me want some Tex-Mex food.

12. Ejanss

Ejanss Banned

Ennn-chi-laa-daa...

When I was in college, I remember seeing the syllabus of required viewing for a Theories of Advertising class (wasn't in it), and one such example students were meant to learn "theories" from was the old 80's antiperspirant commercial that hypnotically intoned "A Dryyyyy Ideaaaa....A Dryyyyy Ideaaaa..."Oh, why not just bring out the f***in' pocket watch while you're at it, Sven-freakin'-gali? SHEESH! :rolleyes:

13. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Well-Known Member

Greg
    Sorry! I'm reading this right after lunch, so I'm not tempted. Could be dinner, though!

14. ChristopherG

ChristopherG Well-Known Member

Chris
    Matthew Mcconaughey on those Lincoln commercials. Makes my skin crawl.

Alf S likes this.
  15. LeoA

LeoA Well-Known Member

Leo
    Commercials for a cell phone company aimed at seniors, called Consumer Cellular, annoy me for some reason.

16. andySu

andySu Well-Known Member

This British STAR TREK tv ad is okay isn't it? :P

17. RobertR

RobertR Well-Known Member

LOL

18. Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell Well-Known Member

That was cool.

19. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?

Tony D.
    Flo with Progressive is the worst for me STILL, and now on my radio app during every break
    I get to hear Flo SINGING the commercial. I turn down the volume if i can.

20. KevinGress

KevinGress Well-Known Member

Flo with Progressive doesn't bother me (still like the 'these are troubled times in the kingdom"); Maxwell for Geigo does, though!

Right now my top annoyance is with the two guys for Sonic. Not sure why but they really irritate me.