What's new

Commercials that just irritate you.... (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I haven't time to read through this whole thread to see if this has already been posted...
FLO on the Progressive Insurance commercials. I understand an awful lot of people think she's the cat's meow, thus her continuing presence in these ads. I find her insufferable... her hair, her make-up, her over-the-top enthusiasm. I am sure the actress who portrays her is a wonderful woman (in fact, I believe I saw an interview with her and almost was able to tolerate her Flo character for a while, but not quite), but I will actively change channels whenever one of those commercials begins...

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Pretty much any exercise machine commercial.
10 minute a day, three times a week and you'll end up with stud body like our model.
What a load of crap.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Originally Posted by Stan /t/230022/commercials-that-just-irritate-you/570#post_3924434
Pretty much any exercise machine commercial.
10 minute a day, three times a week and you'll end up with stud body like our model.
What a load of crap.

And it seems like it goes on forever, repeating the same stuff over and over. The downside of watching a show "live", is having to endure commercials like this.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
I'm sad to say that my wife bought the Shake Weight but was disappointed to find that the 'motor' was broken on arrival. That was until I told her that she, in fact, was the 'motor' and that it was exertion of the person 'shaking' the weight that was supposed to bring out those fantastic results.
It's currently now strenuously acting as a paper 'shakeless' weight.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

Guy's kind of a passive-aggressive a-hole. Jack ought to come kick his ass for being in the bathroom with his wife.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I might have missed it but so far you don't seem to have mentioned Cillit Bang adverts, or are they something peculiar to Europe? Try the following representative sample:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM98wbXFAzc&feature=relmfu
The first time you see the advert it's merely annoying. Wait until it has popped up at every advert break for several weeks.
We have a motorised satellite dish and can pick up thousands of European and Middle Eastern channels. Most have their own language versions of Cillit Bang, all that I've seen seem to be following the same formula.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
We don't have that product, but we do have pitchmen doing ads like that. One of the most prominent is British. :P This may be the same product as Kaboom. Similar with similar ads, anyway.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Greg_S_H said:
[VIDEO]http-~~-//youtu.be/9PLFK5235-4[/VIDEO]
Guy's kind of a passive-aggressive a-hole. Jack ought to come kick his ass for being in the bathroom with his wife.
She's apparently holding out on him and he's bitter. And, who is Jack?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
The Trop (and give me) 50 ad with Jane Krakatoa from Ally McBeal. "You actually thought I had work done?! You actually thought I had work done!" Also, I generally like Maxwell the pig, but the one where the girl wants to make out with him is really sick.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
with Jane Krakatoa from Ally McBeal
Well, some of us associate Jane Krakowski with a show she did in the twenty-first century. A little NBC comedy called 30 Rock. You may have heard of it. :D (And I think Jane is hot, so I have no problem with her Trop 50 commercials.) Regards, Joe

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Greg_S_H said:
We don't have that product, but we do have pitchmen doing ads like that. One of the most prominent is British. :P This may be the same product as Kaboom. Similar with similar ads, anyway.
Nothing against Aussies or Brits, but we've been getting ads like this for 10+ years in the US. Somehow the advertisers think a non-American accent will help pimp their crappy products. Sorry guys, but salesmen are salesmen, 100% tacky, no matter what the accent, including the guy who died a few years ago, Billy Mays. American accent, but incredibly annoying. My #1 rule is if you see it advertised in an infomercial or one of those five minute long extended commercials, it's about a 99% chance that it's garbage. Stay away. Thank the world for DVRs. A few button presses and all this junk is bypassed. Rarely do I watch a show "live", but you still occasionally get exposed to some of this.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I saw this commercial the other day.

I totally did not understand it.

I searched for it on YouTube so that I could hear it better (it really didn't help. I find much of the narration unintelligible,). I have watched it again.

I still do not understand it. At all.

WTF?

And I just watched it again. Some of the script I still do not "get." And the parts that I CAN make out just make no sense to me!

Calvin? Johnson? Entourage? What?!?!?!?!?!???!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?
confused-smiley-004.gif

There ARE a lot of lens flares during the spot. Directed by JJ Abrams?!?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm really annoyed by that Microsoft ad that compares their tablet to the iPad, using Suri's voice..."Oh no, here we go again...." Microsoft ads in general are always awful and annoying. And this one is played incessantly, especially during football games.

Oh, and the non-stop trailers for the film "Gravity" (on TV and in theaters). I think it's played before every film I've watched over the past couple of months, and has been continuous on TV in the past few weeks. I'm so sick of the trailers, I now have no interest in seeing the film.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Mike Frezon said:
I saw this commercial the other day.

I totally did not understand it.

I searched for it on YouTube so that I could hear it better (it really didn't help. I find much of the narration unintelligible,). I have watched it again.

I still do not understand it. At all.

WTF?

And I just watched it again. Some of the script I still do not "get." And the parts that I CAN make out just make no sense to me!

Calvin? Johnson? Entourage? What?!?!?!?!?!???!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?
confused-smiley-004.gif

There ARE a lot of lens flares during the spot. Directed by JJ Abrams?!?
The commercial parodies the distractions created by being an athlete that everyone wants a piece of...which destroys the originating athlete.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
David Brown Eyes said:
radio spot that was running for the last couple months

"1 877 Kars for Kids "K" "A" "R" "S" cars for kids...."

it was an instant mind lock and would not go away once you heard it.

:angry: I have not been exposed to it for about a month now so maybe it is gone for good.

Unfortunately, seven years later it is still alive and well and equally irritating now as it was then.

To which I can also add how Yankee fans like me have been made to suffer the SAME spot for Turkey Hill ice cream featuring a Spike Lee lookalike scarfing down cartons and getting brain freeze for over seven years now to the point where I refuse to ever buy their ice cream again until they pull that spot. That's how much I hate it.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
schan1269 said:
The commercial parodies the distractions created by being an athlete that everyone wants a piece of...which destroys the originating athlete.
Ahhhhhhhhhh.

Huh? What, Sam?!? I want to ask if such a message is somehow supposed to want to make me buy a sneaker. But I get that advertising sometimes tries to transcend direct messaging. But it's a parody?

So the first guy is an athlete named Calvin Johnson? And he is being weighed down by his celebrity. So now P Diddy is going to be his metaphorical "johnson?" And his new "Johnson" (and is there anyone who want a new, smaller Johnson?) is going to take care of his celebrity interests so that he can concentrate on football? Is it supposed to be funny? Is it supposed to be "warm"--like Mean Joe Greene giving the kid his jersey?

And how exactly does this relate to the consumer?

I'm just not getting it. Although your concise one-sentence description did help me understand the plot of the script. Thanks for that. I just went back and watched it again. While I now understand it, I still don't "get it."
Jack P said:
To which I can also add how Yankee fans like me have been made to suffer the SAME spot for Turkey Hill ice cream featuring a Spike Lee lookalike scarfing down cartons and getting brain freeze for over seven years now to the point where I refuse to ever buy their ice cream again until they pull that spot. That's how much I hate it.
I watch YES all the time. That IS one VERY lame spot. I have always wondered why they've stuck with it so long. And why someone who looks like Spike Lee? He's not THAT BIG of a Yankee fan...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks