What's new

comments on purchasing a cheap HTPC. (1 Viewer)

archp2008

Auditioning
Real Name
Arch Parsons
I am thinking about purchasing a cheap HTPC something like this
http://cgi.ebay.ca/INTEL-OVERCLOCKED-3-6GHZ-QUAD-CORE-GAMING-PC-W-1G-VIDEO_W0QQitemZ250496673733QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDesktop_PCs?hash=item3a52c3e7c5&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14#ht_9674wt_838 only mounted in an HTPC case, of course, and substituting an internal blu-ray reader for the dvd r/w. I already have a Denon 1708 AVR and a pair of Klipsch RF52 speakers connected to a Samsung Series 5300 Plasma. I am temporarily also using a pair of left-over Philips speakers from one of those ghetto-blaster like component systems as side speakers. I don't have center or rear speakers as yet. I also have a Popcorn Hour A-110 which I use as a streaming device for a movie jukebox and for network browsing, Youtube, etc I don't have full PC capability (browsing, etc.) over the big screen as yet, though, which I why I would still like to have an HTPC on the stand. Any comments (positive or negative) on the kind of equipment that I am considering to buy would be appreciated. In particular, should I also include a PCI sound card with optical out? The Denon does not have true HDMI audio output (it merely sends the audio input to the tv speakers ) so I have to route all the audio inputs through optical or RCA inputs on the AVR.

archp2008

Auditioning
Real Name
Arch Parsons
I just became aware of the complications of HDCP (copy protection) I think that's the name of it. Can anyone comment on whether or not I will have problems with this.

dfeller

Auditioning
Real Name
David Feller
Only thing to worry about for now is the Blu-ray player - all the other kinds of content it sounds like you run will not be HDCP protected (downloads, streams, pictures etc.) HDMI solves that indefinitely, but as far as I recollect, component from the WMC box will work just fine up to 1080i...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks