What's new

Commentaries You'd Love To Hear, But Are Not Possible (1 Viewer)

Vincent-P

Second Unit

You forgot Bande A Part and Alphaville. Besides Le Mepris, those are the two I'd most like Godard commentary on. Maybe he could help me make some sense of Alphaville .

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
There are thousands upon thousands of such instances. Here's just a small sampling.
  • Some Like it Hot - Billy Wilder & Marilyn Monroe
  • Citizen Kane - Orson Welles
  • Vertigo - Alfred Hitchcock
  • 2001 - Stanley Kubrick
  • etc....

Jim Barg

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Barg
I know there was a thread earlier about how Cameron Crowe was interested (I think) in possibly using his taped interviews with Wilder to cobble together a commentary for some of his films. I'd love to hear one for The Apartment...

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
Friedrich Nietzsche on 2001: A Space Odyssey
Stephen King on The Shining ('80)
Carl Th. Dreyer on Breaking the Waves
Lee Harvey Oswald on JFK.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I'd really love a Michael Crichton commentary for WESTWORLD. When the DVD was first announced in the '90s, a Crichton commentary was listed as one of the supplements. Don't know what happened.

TommyT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom
Esp Rear Window & North By Northwest! In any case I know he'd be hilarious!

Jeff Job

Agent
Real Name
Jeff Job
David Lean on Lawrence of Arabia.

Steven Spielberg commented that at the theatrical release of the Director's Cut, David Lean sat beside him and gave him a running commentary throughout the entire film. It's a shame all of those insights never made its way onto a recording.

Colby

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Colby

That would probably be hilarious and depressing at the same time.

I wish Jim Henson could do commentaries on his 3 Muppet films, The Dark Crystal, and The Labyrinth. I've no doubt that if he were alive today he'd totally be embracing DVD technology, doing commentaries & more. A commentary with him & George Lucas on Labyrinth would be awesome. And then one with him & Frank Oz on Muppets Take Manhattan.

Hitchcock - of course.

Steven Spieberg - possible, but not probable.

Now here's one: a cast commentary on the original Star Wars trilogy (or at least A New Hope). One with just Hamill, Fisher, & Ford would be awesome. But that's probably not gonna happen.

Brandon_D

Stunt Coordinator
I'm sute it would have been a treat to listen to Gene Kelly's commentaries on any of his film's. He would have had some great comments on the dancing. I also think Judy Garland would make an excellent commentator. I've always heard she was a hilarious storyteller.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Andrei Tarkovsky on all his films.

Andrei De Toth on Ramrod, Crime Wave, Pitfall and Play Dirty.

Sam Fuller on Steel Helmet, The Big Red One and White Dog.

John Frankenheimer on The Fixer, 99 and 44/100% Dead.

Michael Cimino on Heaven's Gate.

And, uh... Jesus on The Passion of the Christ! :laugh:

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
HAHAHAHAHAAH! Funniest thing I have heard online in a log time! Nice one, Mark! :emoji_thumbsup:

Kubrick contra Nietzsche:

Fred: "Without Movies, life would have been a mistake."

Stan: "And Letraset."

Fred: "What are talking about?"

Stan: "There's Leonard Rossiter."

Fred: "Ah, Reggie Perrin! Grot! Ohhwww, Miss Jones! Ha ha!"

Stan: "Ha ha ha!"

Fred: "Twenty-two minutes late, badger ate a junction box at New Malden. Ha ha ha!"

Stan: "That's enough, Fritz."

Fred: "Is that Star Trek's William Shatner?"

Stan: "No, it's William Sylvester who later appeared in a few episodes of Quincy."

Fred: "Oh, I love Star Trek: Dr Spock..."

Stan: "MR Spock."

Fred: "... Bones and fat Scotsman. Every planet had oxygen! Ha! And a big boulder! It was better than this rubbish. Why is Reggie Perrin speaking Russian? What's a bushbaby?"

Stan: "Uh... you really are a madman."

Fred: "I am not a madman: I am dynamite."

Stan: "Is this transfer from 65mm? I didn't approve this!"

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Bruce lives at Universal Studios Theme Park and is fed Japansese tourists and teenage delinquents at 12.00 and 18.00 daily.

Jim Barg

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Barg

Honestly, that's the only thing missing from any of the current Muppet DVD releases. While the discs themselves are fine, the commentary possibilities are endless... get Frank Oz and a couple of the other Muppeteers together and I'd be happy.

But as this is a thread on commentaries that won't happen, I vote for a David Bowie/Jennifer Connelly track on Labyrinth. Would be interesting, to say the least.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks