What's new

Coming Soon From Olive Films (1 Viewer)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Mark-P said:
Is anyone else disappointed that Olive chose not to use the 5.1 remix that was done for the Paramount DVD on McLintock!? Granted the movie was originally in mono, but I wonder why it was left off. Perhaps the licensing agreement didn't grant them access to the remixed soundtrack?
I'm not. Re-mixing a mono film into stereo is as bad as colorizing a B&W film in my opinion. I'm just glad the Paramount DVD offered the original mono as well as the "stereo" mix otherwise I'd be upgrading to the Olive release for the original mono sound.

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
NIGHT OF THE SCARECROW DVD & BLU Extras:

• Previously Produced Making-of Featurette - Interviews with cast & crew (3 Minutes)
• Still Gallery with Music and Commentary by director Jeff Burr (8 Minutes)
• Audio Commentary by director Jeff Burr

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Father Goose

Attachments

• FatherGoose.jpg
    FatherGoose.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 40

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
The shipping delays were caused by a huge fulfillment center mistake. Everything was ready to go in time for the 3/26 street date, but all these orders were missed by the shipping center and they realized their mistake after the titles had already streeted. They shipped everything last week (a couple of days after the street date), so everything should be up very soon. This was not because of replication delays, it was just a HUGE shipping or non-shipping error.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
I hope Olive can work something out with Ignite and the other owner of TRIFFIDS for a release soon.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
JoHud said:
I just got McLintock! and the most interesting thing about the release is that it is given co-distributor credit to Ignite Films with no Paramount or Batjac logo in sight.

Doing a bit more research on Ignite reveals that they also have done restoration work on the films in the Enterprise library, which is also among the Republic holdings that Olive has been releasing as well as some PD films and select copyrighted Otto Preminger films. They may have been responsible for the materials for some of the Enterprise produced films Olive released such as Macbeth, The Secret Behind the Door and Letter to an Unknown Woman, most of which are advertised as available in HD.

I looked at what Ignite Films has available in terms of movies they advertise as "available in High Definition restored version" that haven't been made available on home video yet and I came up with the following. Note that some have home video rights outside of Ignite and Olive (i.e. the 2 Preminger films):

PATTERNS (1956)
FOUR FACES WEST (1948)
THE PRIVATE AFFAIRS OF BEL AMI (1947)
FIVE SAVAGE MEN (1971)
SAINT JOAN (1957)
MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM (1955)
PANCHO VILLA (1972)
PSYCHOMANIA (1971)
SECOND CHORUS (1940)
THE DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS (1962)
BLOODY BIRTHDAY (1981)
CRUCIBLE OF TERROR (1971)

Checking Ignite Films' currently available films is a bit of a pain since they only randomly show one title on their "Film Library" page each time it's loaded and only on that page do they mention if the film is available in High Definition. Because of this there may be some I missed. Curiously, I saw no mention of McLlintock! on their website.

Because of this new McLlintock scenario, I'm wondering if Olive will be doing more cooperation with Ignite films with PD titles outside of the Republic library and bring out some of these or other titles to home video through the Olive Films label. It doesn't look like the website is updated regularly, so there may be more titles given HD treatment.
Does that mean we will be getting Day of the Triffids and those other horror titles from Olive ?

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Is the restoration of TRIFFIDS done, or still in progress? Last I heard I thought I was still being worked on.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
MisterLime said:
Olive acquired the HD restored version of McLintock! from Ignite and also have acquired 2 Anthony Mann titles (God's Little Acre / Men in War) and the Joseph H. Lewis masterpiece THE BIG COMBO from them. All of these will be released on DVD and BLU-RAY sometime in 2013.
For me and I suspect for many others too, that is really exciting news. I'll pre-order all three titles at the first opportunity. Thank you for the info.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
SWFF said:
Is the restoration of TRIFFIDS done, or still in progress? Last I heard I thought I was still being worked on.
It's been done for a while. I think it was shown at a TCM festival in '09 or '10.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
wow. will men in war also be released on standard definition dvd. i own the geneon version of men in war.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
I'd like to put in a new request for Olive to reconsider releasing Jess Franco's COUNT DRACULA for three reasons:- there is room for significant growth over the Dark Sky dvd, between image quality being subpar (I remembered incorrectly about it looking good - I'm revisiting it tonight and it's more of a mess than I recalled) and the missing bits available in other international releases. Please include 4:3 and 1.66:1 versions, too.- Jess Franco passed this week and now would be a good time to take advantage of his name being discussed among cult fans, magazines, and forums.- His films are now getting released on bd by Redemption and Kino (I think Redemption stated they have at least 14 scheduled for 2013 alone!), as well as other companies in Europe.I hope you can pass this info along to Olive, MisterLime. Thank you!

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
Re: the aspect ratios for COUNT DRACULA, only include a 1.66:1 version if documentation shows this was an option. Franco often show 4:3 even when widescreen was common.

Justin Ray

Second Unit
Real Name
Justin Ray
Anyone know if The Bells of St. Mary's, Good Sam, Magnificent Doll, or Penny Serenade will arrive in 2013? Thanks!

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
Wow, it happened yet again: I just purchase a DVD (MEN IN WAR) only to learn a superior version is on the way. Sigh...

Mike S.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
cadavra said:
Wow, it happened yet again: I just purchase a DVD (MEN IN WAR) only to learn a superior version is on the way. Sigh...

Mike S.
. . . and I bought a very poor quality DVD of God's Little Acre a few weeks ago.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
cadavra said:

Mike S.

Well, since you seem to have some power, I have a list of titles I'd like you to start purchasing on DVD

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks