1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Coming Soon From Olive Films

Discussion in 'DVD' started by MisterLime, May 26, 2011.

1. Robin9

Robin9 Well-Known Member

Robin
    Deep Discount currently have a sale of many Olive Films' back catalog DVDs and BRDs; i.e. no recent titles. In some cases, the BRDs are cheaper than the respective DVD!

2. Camps

Camps Well-Known Member

Tom
    Any clues as to the status or ETAs of the 2014 releases (including SHANGHAI STORY, HELL'S FIVE HOURS and WORLD FOR RANSOM)that Olive announced on Dec.10 for 2014 release? Also curious as to the status of the Gaumont titles (like J'ACCUSE) they announced for 2013 release...?I miss MisterLime....

3. Robin9

Robin9 Well-Known Member

Robin
    So do I! We now have to hunt for information about new Olive releases.

DVD Savant has just given a very favorable review to Olive's Cry Danger BRD. I've pre-ordered from DVD Pacific who have the best price on this . . . and on several other discs too. (Just look at their price for the Sabrina BRD)

4. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Premium
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    re: the Marx Brothers movies.

I saw a 35mm print of "Duck Soup" maybe three years ago that looked fantastic - better than the Image DVD I own, and generally far better than I ever expected to see it. The Film Forum in NYC showed a DCP of "Duck Soup" a couple weeks ago, and while I wasn't able to make it, the existence of Marx Bros film in a new digital theatrical release format suggests that there should still be something around to make a reasonably good disc out of.

Here's hoping that one day that happens.

5. Camps

Camps Well-Known Member

Tom
  6. JoHud

JoHud Well-Known Member

Joe Hudak
    Those were recently announced acquisitions and planned releases. However, Olive still isn't through with its initial list of Republic titles dating back to 2012. We might see them this year but most likely those likely won't show up until next year.

7. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Here's the list of the remaining Paramount/Republic licensed titles as best as I can tell (please let me know of any corrections):The Adalen Riots (1969)Adventures of Captain Fabian (1951)The Beat Generation (1959)Beware, My Lovely (1952)The Big Operator (1959)Cauldron of Blood (1970)Come Back to the 5 & Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean (1982)Distant Drums (1951)Dragonfly Squadron 3D (1954)Dr. Terror's House of Horrors (1965)The Eternal Sea (1955)Flying Disc Man from Mars (1950)Hell's Five Hours (1958)High School Confidential (1958)I've Always Loved You (1946)The Invisible Monster (1950)The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams (1974)Magnificent Doll (1946)Man of Conquest (1939)Outrage (1950)The Private Affairs of Bel Ami (1947)The Quiet Gun (1957)Sands of Iwo Jima (1949)The Shanghai Story (1954)South of St. Louis (1949)The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry (1945)Stranger at My Door (1956)That's My Man (1947)Track the Man Down (1955)The Weapon (1956)Woman They Almost Lynched (1953)World for Ransom (1954)There should also be a release of The Betty Boop Essential Collection Vol. 4 (1932-1938)And the following DVD-only releases should get upgraded to Blu-ray at some point:The Buccaneer (1938)The Lawless (1950)No Man of Her Own (1950)Pony Express (1953)Something to Live For (1952)Tropic of Cancer (1970)So that's 33 BD/DVD releases and 6 BD upgrades, for 39 releases for the Paramount/Republic titles in August-December. Seems very doable if they can release 10 in July.Keep in mind that the following titles in the Republic catalog will not be released due to poor or missing film elements:Blood on the Sun (1945)Breakthrough (1979)Cadence (1990)Dakota (1945)Fighter Attack (1953)A Lady Takes a Chance (1943)The Last Command (1955)A Man Alone (1955)Marjorie Morningstar (1958)One of Our Aircraft Is Missing (1942)Oregon Trail (1936)

8. JoHud

JoHud Well-Known Member

Joe Hudak
    You missed one more from the Republic deal. That title is Try and Get Me (1950) (aka The Sound of Fury)

There are also 10-20 Gaumont and Bavaria licensed films that have yet to be released that have been announced as far back as 2010.

Brandon Conway likes this.
  9. SWFF

SWFF Well-Known Member

Shawn Francis
    Olive will also be putting out MOONTRAP (1989) in a few months. I think it's going to be same transfer though as the German version.

10. DeWilson

DeWilson Well-Known Member

Denny
    Interesting, some of these exist and have played on Cable outlets over the last few years.

11. Stefan Andersson

Stefan Andersson Well-Known Member

Re: The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry - Moonrise - Pitfall -- these seem to no longer be a part of the Republic library.

See:

http://www.criterionforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10424&start=575

Scroll down for posts by Bill Watkins, Props55, David Hare and JonathanS.

The discussion doesn´t give any clear info about who owns these films.

JonathanS refers to a good print of Uncle Harry, seen on UK TV. It opens with a title: "Charles K. Feldman presents -- A Universal Release". Maybe the Feldman library is a separate entity.

12. kingfish

kingfish Well-Known Member

i wonder if we will see when hell broke loose with charles bronson.

13. LouA

LouA Well-Known Member

Lou Antonicello
    How about the "B" movie The Monster Of Piedras Blancas ? Republic had that out on VHS and it played on TBS back in the 1990's , but it's never mentioned for an Olive release. I'm guessing that there are problems with the film elements . Incidentally , it's a shame about Marjorie Morningstar and Last Command .

14. LeoA

LeoA Well-Known Member

Leo
    One of Our Aircraft is Missing was on TCM a few months back.

15. atfree

atfree Premium
    Supporter

Alex
    And it is on Amazon Instant Video. Print looks fine, hard to believe Olive passed because elements were in bad shape especially since some of Olive's releases don't look that great to begin with. I'd rather have an average Blu than no blu at all.

16. Aunt Peg

Aunt Peg Well-Known Member

There is also Raven's End & Man on the Roof.

17. Aunt Peg

The is also The Stationmaster's WIfe (Fassbinder), Ophelia (Chabrol), J'Accuse (the 190's version I believe) and Dead Pigeon on Beethoven Street (Fuller).

18. Camps

Camps Well-Known Member

Tom
    The 1938 "J'Accuse" (with Victor Francen, possibly most famous as the pianist of "Beast With Five Fingers") is among the Gaumont titles promised (or at least suggested) for release by now from Olive... but where are they?

19. Aunt Peg

Yes, that's what I want to know. I am sick of waiting for these titles that were announced years ago know and have still not shown up.

If Olive is not longer going to release them I wish they would let us know.

20. Greg4

Greg4 Member

I have been waiting for The Stationmaster's Wife every since it was announced. I'm a huge Fassbinder fan, so it's what I have been waiting for from Olive. 2014 is supposedly the year it will finally be released, but I remember 2013 being that year too, so not getting my hopes up.