What's new

A Few Words About Coming from Warner Home Video... in High Definition (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Although specific release dates have not yet been officially firmed, the following will be arriving during the summer / fall season from WB:

The Dirty Dozen - SE

The Searchers SE - from newly restored Vista Vision elements

Grand Prix - SE

and the first of the Ultra-Resolution titles:

Singin' in the Rain

and

The Adventures of Robin Hood

All in HD. And even more of a reason to make the move to
the new format.

RAH

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
Nice, I'm looking forward to watching The Adventures of Robin Hood in HD. All that color. All that detail. Should be amazing.

By the way, will there be any "words" about the Goodfellas HD-DVD?

As always, thanks for your contributions, Robert.

-Reagan

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
All mine. :)

That is a terrific list of titles from Warners. It is great to see Warner Bros. supporting their classics on HD. I bet that all of them will look magnificent. Especially looking forward to The Searchers and Singin' In The Rain. Thanks for the information.

- Walter.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Any specifics on format? Both HD-DVD and BD?

- Steve

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
A few words will be written re: Goodfellas, which has not yet been received. I've been looking forward to this one.

RAH

Paul Borges

Stunt Coordinator
It's funny that The Searchers was one of the first classics on DVD and it will be one of the first on HD.

I'll be curious to see how box sets will be handled. For example, will the Classic Comedies Collection on DVD be duplicated for HD? Anyways thanks for the update!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Summer / Fall is my way of leaving room lest anything unforeseen develop.

Late June would be a good target for personal budgeting. These will be very special high definition releases. And from what I'm hearing, the image quality is astounding!

RAH

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

you sure know the right things to say to make a guy feel all funny inside :)

Now I wonder If DDD will be including HD titles in the 20% off sales?

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
I'm assuming the new elements on The Searchers were used in tonight's
'American Masters' documentary on John Ford on PBS-HD. One shot of the trek across the snow was especially eye-popping.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Whoa.....SEARCHERS, SINGIN IN THE RAIN and ROBIN HOOD in HD this summer? Nobody pinch me, I like this dream.

David_MSP

Stunt Coordinator
Robert,

Thank you very much for the info! It's much appreciated. If I may ask, do you know anything about possible Universal releases coming this year? Do you think they are diving into it as much as Warner Brothers? I know it certainly seems that way from my point of view. You had previously alluded to the possibility of "Spartacus" on HD-DVD someday. I realize nothing is a guarantee but thought it wouldn't hurt to ask if this is one of their likely titles and/or if they have any other "big guns" lined up for release.

Again, thanks for the ongoing info, disc reviews, and support of this format. It's encouraging to see you excited about this. It speaks volumes to me.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
From one Robert to another,

Titles like these mean that I'll be getting an HD player that much sooner. :) Yummy!

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor

"personal budgeting.....?" sigh....sometimes I just dont understand this technical jargon used by such highly esteemed folks as Robert. Of all the terminology used on this forum, it continues to be the one I know least about, am not inclined to learn about and in fact, am just plain, darn un-teachable! :)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

everything got pushed around with the last delay, but the 'leaked' list had SITR and RH scheduled for more in the Fall. Maybe they got bumped upas others got bumped back?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
While I can in no way speak for Universal, they have a superb library, and a very well run home video division.

Summer is generally considered to be a slow season, and that's precisely where we're heading at the moment.

I've a feeling that by fall, we'll be seeing a myriad of favorites coming from the vaults of Universal, along with the continued requisite quality that made them so effective at the dawn of SD DVD.

At the moment, it seems more like they're teasing us with releases. As they ramp up to full speed, I'm certain that great things will happen.

RAH

John McAdams

Auditioning
Robert,

As a new member I am thoroughly enjoying your reviews.

I hope you will be reviewing BD movies soon as that is my format of choice.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
We're certainly going to spend equal time with Blu.

As a point of reference, my posts are generally not considers as "reviews," but more technical and quality overviews.

I prefer to leave the reviewing to those who can do it better than I, and can give the full time necessary to the releases.

RAH

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter

I have to admit I'm surprised to read this. In my eyes, Universal has become nearly synonymous with incompetency over the past several years. I can quote part of the littany here....Jurassic Park DTS, Back To The Future, E.T., Monty Python's Meaning Of Life, forced trailers for a while, DVD-18's consistently defective...

No studio is perfect, but Universal has been the worst by far IMO. Now, when they do get it right, it's usually very good. Maybe the home video division refers to a part of the company different from those responsible for the aforementioned problems. But either way, Universal has not inspired confidence for me in a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks