What's new

Coming from Mill Creek mid-June "Best of TV Detectives" 150 episode box (1 Viewer)

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

As far as the Ellery Queen episodes are concerned, this is the only one with Richard Hart that I'm aware of on a commercially released DVD. The show started in early October, 1950 and Hart passed away in early January 1951, so it's a bit morbid watching him in this episode, just a few months or, possibly, even weeks before he suffered a fatal heart attack. There is another Ellery Queen episode on DVD with Hart's replacement, Lee Bowman (of "Miami Undercover" fame), that I have on some classic TV collection, but I think that's been it for this rare series. It would be interesting to see how many of the Ellery Queen kinescopes are still in existence . . . . . since it was a DuMont Network show, I can't imagine that many are still around.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Watched a few more series . . . .

Sheriff of Cochise/U.S. Marshal

While there's certainly nothing extraordinary about this series, it has solid stories that move along at a good clip and a good lead in John Bromfield. I hadn't seen the two "Sheriff of Cochise" episodes before, but the two "U.S. Marshal" episodes have previously been released on other DVD collections. Look for guest stars like Harry Dean Stanton, Harold J. Stone and Ruta Lee, and famed director Robert Altman directs one of the "U.S. Marshal" episodes. Print quality is decent on all four episodes. Desilu/National Telefilm Associates.

Lock-Up

I've only watched three episodes so far but it's another series that benefits from its half-hour running time. Macdonald Carey is a serviceable lead as attorney Herbert L. Maris (who never seems to set foot in a courthouse), but co-star John Doucette steals the show. Doucette played lots of heavies throughout his career, but here he is a police lieutenant, a nice welcome change for this fine character actor. The episodes that I've seen so far start out a little on the rough looking side and then quickly improve. This was a two year, 78 episode show from Ziv Television; so far, episodes are not duplicated from other collections of "Lock-Up" offered by Alpha and Timeless Media.

*** Edit ***

Two of the eight "Lock-Up" episodes do appear on other collections, but it does appear that the other six episodes are making their DVD "debut" on this set.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

This is just a really fun, low cost set. I really get a kick out of seeing so many great character actors (John Doucette, mentioned above in "Lock-Up" is a favorite) as well as stars of the future, like Lee Marvin in a classic "Dragnet" episode. I've watched about 20 episodes so far and I'm already hoping that Mill Creek does another one of these sets in the future . . . . . provided, of course, that they can find more of these public domain episodes . . . . . I'd love to see more of the series that are represented in this set by just a single episode. There's a lot of entertainment value to be found in this set.

docdoowop

Second Unit
Real Name
Curt
I'm with you on the character actors, Bob. Just watched Whit Bissel in a "Code 3" episode and a pre-"Dennis the Menace" Joseph Kearns (Mr. Wilson) appearance in one of the "Court of Last Resort" episodes. I only wish "M Squad" was represented.

I'd sure like to see them continue exploring genres with a 150 ep sitcom box. Or a lawyer box or a doctor box......

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
The "Bulldog Drummond" episode contained in this set does not come from a series of the same name, but it's actually an episode from the anthology series "Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. Presents." Canadian actor Robert Beatty portrays "Drummond" and Hammer film regular Michael Ripper is also in the cast. The series was produced in England and ran on NBC from 1953 to 1957. This is a nice find on the part of Mill Creek and is the first time that I've seen this series. I wonder if there's anything else that was saved from "Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. Presents."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0564902/

docdoowop

Second Unit
Real Name
Curt
More wonderful character actors: Olan Soule ("Tut" Jones in Captain Midnight....many other shows) in an ep of "Court of Last Resort".....Joe Besser (latter Third Stooge, and memorable as building super "Jillson" on the Joe Bishop Show) in "Front Page Detective" and Lyle Talbot (Joe Randolph in Ozzie & Harriet in addition to a long movie career) in another episode of the same show.

Speaking of "Front Page Detective", during the credit roll there's a reference to the "Multicam System" used in production. I wonder if this was an early effort at a three-cam setup, pioneered by "I Love Lucy". Also noted, a sponsorship credit by a Kansas City Chevrolet dealer for the third episode of FPD.

Really enjoying this set!

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
More "faces in the crowd" . . . .

Parley Baer ("Darby" from "The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet") in an episode of "The Court of Last Resort."

Angelo Rossitto in "Front Page Detective." Rossitto, a dwarf, had an incredibly long film career spannning 60 years from 1927 to 1987. He appeared in Tod Browning's "Freaks" in the early 1930s and "Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome" in 1985.

Jackie "Uncle Fester" Coogan in "Lock-Up."

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
The last episode of "Lock-Up" in the set features Mary Tyler Moore in a dramatic role, circa 1961, presumably post "Richard Diamond" and pre "The Dick Van Dyke Show." Another episode of "Lock-Up" features Robert F. Simon and Paul Carr.

One of "The Lone Wolf" episodes features a trio of character actors highlighted by the appearance of "Star Trek's" DeForest Kelley, along with Jerry Paris and Russ Conway.

Paul Fix of "The Rifleman" shows up in "The Court of Last Resort."

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
I haven't watched original 1950s "Dragnet" episodes in about two years so it's nice to revisit them again in this set. I'm also finding that there are some episodes included that I haven't seen elsewhere and a few of the episodes even have original commercials for Fatima and Chesterfield cigarettes, some featuring Jack Webb and "Dragnet" (and "You Bet Your Life") announcer George Fenneman. Episode visual quality is pretty much as expected, highly variable. Great to see so many of Jack Webb's "stock company" of character actors like Vic Perrin, Harry Bartell, Virginia Gregg, Jack Kruschen, Olan Soule, Eddie Firestone, Allene Roberts and others.

docdoowop

Second Unit
Real Name
Curt
I've slowed down on watching the set, but look forward to what collectively amounts to almost a full season of Dragnet (25 episodes).

I was a bit disappointed in "Dick Tracy", what with Ralph Byrd in the title role. These are neither campy nor serious drama, and the production values could have been better.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
I haven’t watched the “Dick Tracy” episodes on the Mill Creek set yet, but have a few episodes from the series on other DVDs. Even by early 1950s standards, the production values were pretty low for this series . . . . . pretty much poverty row . . . . . I’d guess that the biggest chunk of the budget went to Ralph Byrd’s salary. It’s not a great show by any standard, but it’s an OK time passer and it’s good to see that at least some of the series is available on DVD.

Ivan G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ivan G. Shreve, Jr.

As best as I can count, I think I found six to seven episodes that I did not previously own. My favorite of the bunch is "The Big Casing," in which Friday (Webb) and Smith (Herb Ellis) are convinced that a man (Harry Bartell) killed his wife...until an examination of the evidence suggests otherwise.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
I saw that episode, Ivan, and it's a good one . . . . . sort of a nice early precursor to CSI . . . . . Webb always strived to show the up-to-date crime solving techniques used by the LAPD, and this episode is a great example. Surprisingly, Friday is proven wrong in this episode; he believes that Harry Bartell's character is guilty until the evidence proves him (Friday) wrong. Interestingly, early in his screen career, Webb played an investigator in the LAPD's scientific crime unit in the 1948 noir "He Walked by Night." Also great to see the versatile Harry Bartell in this episode, as well . . . . . he appeared multiple times in both the 1950s version of the show and its 1960s revival.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Well, I was planning to hold off on this set for another month, needing to whittle away at my current dvd stockpile, but the enthusiasm on this thread compelled me to go ahead and grab it. I'm such a sucker for this kind of material. Amazing how cheap the price is. Less than 20-cents per episode. I can't help but think back to 20-25 years ago, when I'd struggle to save up about $35 just for a single bootleg video of four episodes of something like "Mr. & Mrs. North" or "Sheriff of Cochise"... a price I really (and I mean REALLY) couldn't afford at the time.

I've already zipped through the first disc. I was curious about the "Cases of Eddie Drake" episode, which seemed to be dated 1947, if I'm seeing correctly. I always knew it was one of the first 'filmed' tv-series, but I thought it dated to 1949. The 1947 date really puts it in contention for the oldest (although, I'm aware it might not have actually been syndicated or aired until a few years afterward). I'd usually heard "Public Prosecutor" cited as perhaps the first such item. I do have one of those on tape (dated 1948), although its 20-minute running time makes it a bit of an oddity. Anyway, getting back to "Eddie Drake," I'd suggest he trade in that 3-wheeled oddity of his for a real car. Too bad this collection doesn't have an example of Don Haggerty's follow-up detective series, "The Files of Jeffrey Jones," for comparison.

"Code 3" was more interesting than I was expecting, with a nice variety of plots. I was anticipating it to be more in the vein of "Highway Patrol" and "State Trooper" and that style of chase/action series, but the episodes on this set were very character-driven. Oh, well. Lots to explore in this mammoth set!

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Bert, there is much to enjoy about this set. I'm actually through most of it already, save for the big blocks of episodes of "Dragnet" and "Mr. & Mrs. North" and a few other series where I've seen most of the episodes. But I can't get enough of Beverly Garland's "Decoy," even if most of the episodes on the Mill Creek set have previously been released The entertainment factor on this set is huge.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Man, I'm behind you guys again :) I haven't viewed this one yet. Just about the time I think about starting on that set, several more releaeses are out. This Oct/Nov is really
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif
'ing . Thanks to Bob, Gary, Mike, Bert, all of you guys for giving me valuable info needed before making the decision to buy these "pre-Combat!" sets, as I refer to them :laugh: Hey, event though I'm a 'Boomer, I've learned that there's "series life before '62" besides my beloved Combat! and Perry Mason
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

Jeff "Hey, there really were...ARE, thanks to the DVD, GREAT shows aired before '62" W

BrianHass

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian Hassel
I wanted to bump this thread as many of us purchased this from the recent DeepDiscount sale. I am loving this set as much as the TV Westerns box set. Since I hadn't heard of many of the shows I wasn't sure how much I would enjoy the set, but for anyone who is on the fence about the purchase I recommend it highly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks