What's new

Comics: The Weekly Rundown (was Heroes Con 2006) (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I just read the 18 issues so far of Runaways volume 2, and it started out well, got a little off-track with 2 fill-in issues, and then a Cloak-n-Daggar arc, and then a solo issue on Molly that seemed to come out of nowhere in terms of flow, and then the final storyline didn't quite finished yet (I thought the 2nd volume would also end at 18 issues, but I was mistaken). But overall, still a good read.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I don't know if this is common knowledge or not, Newsarama has some art from Kubert's work on Action #644, and it looks like Supes will be sporting a take on the "Superman Returns" version of the costume for a while.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Chuck Mayer said:
If you don't get it, Astro City is simply magic. Check out the special. You won't regret it. And I can say that without having read it yet.
I picked up the Astro City special based on Chuck's recommendation, and, knowing absolutely nothing about the Astro City title, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm going to look at getting the collections for it now.
Also, I learned that True Story, Swear To God by Tom Beland is going from self-published to being put out by Image starting in September, and it will start the numbering over again. The final self-published issue (#17) should be out any week now.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Glad you tried it, Joe. The collections are all pretty cheap. A few of them are multiple stories in one TPB. One that is a complete arc, Confession, is among the (limited, admittedly) great accomplishments of the 90's. Just a landmark storyline. It also includes my single favorite issue of anything ever, "The Nearness of You" from back when Wizard was doing those awful 1/2 issues. Well, Astro City 1/2 is one of the best AC tales.

Some AC is better than others, but the worst AC story I read is still pretty decent. The consistency of the team is a huge plus as well...Busiek, Anderson, and Ross. Every time.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The Absolute Kingdom Come edition showed up today at the LCS. I was on the fence on whether to buy it or not. It sure did look purty, though.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
My A KC is shipped from Amazon at $47. Pricey, but it's a fave and the oversized pages were tailormade for this prestige book.

I wouldn't pay cover price for it, though.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Whoa, didn't realize Amazon's price was so juicy for AbKC, so I went ahead and ordered from Amazon as well. Thanks for the heads-up.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I always check on amazon on the pricey stuff :D Already have the AbDKR ordered, though it's more expensive (it includes DKSA, though I don't care). I'll do the same with The New Frontier.
I got the new Detective today. and I bought (and just finished) JLA #0 from a few weeks back. I really liked it, because it was a full issue of the moments I love in comics. The in-between stuff. The past look at WW and Batman after the "death" of Supes was gold. I'm glad I picked it up.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i still need absolute watchmen.
probably wont get adkr. liked it, but too much.
if dksa wasnt in it, maybe.
now akc, didnt know that was coming.
watchmen and kingdom come, 2 best comics i have read.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Agents of Atlas - A good start/return of Jimmy Woo and his team from the 1940's/50's to the present day. It's a 6-issue mini-series.

Y The Last Man - This was mainly a look at Alter's own past events that have shaped her into a tough military force to be reckoned with, and her role in Yorick's life at the present time as she continues to hunt him down.

Detective - similar beats to a run-of-the-mill whodunit in a mystery in which Bruce is framed for murder. The Riddler and Batman "team" up (some snarky moments shared between them lightened up the mood).

52 (week 13) - Ralph Dibny and his super-hero pals infiltrate a ceremony to resurrect Sue (as a dry run before attempting to resurrect Connor Kent). Black Adam and Isis's subplot was pretty brief. Elongated Man's origin was the 2-page backup feature, art by Kevin Nowlan.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
52 - Week 14:

Montoya and the Question make their way to Black Adam's country, and don't find it all that hospitable. John Henry Irons is still distraught by his daughter falling in with Lex Luthor. Doc Magnus's pal Dr. Morrow leaves him a gift that has implications for his Metal Men. And we also get a quickie 2-page origin of Metamorpho.

Superman 655:

Clark makes his way across the pond to cover an old girlfriend's press conference and finds Subjekt-17 making a mess of things. We get a peek into Clark and Lana's present day status of being "friends". Arion somehow figures into this 2-part story (or longer), even though he is viewing the events from over 300 years in the past.

Squadron Supreme 6:

The team returns and gets a bit of sanctioned leave/personal time off. Blur visits his home, and tries to recruit Nighthawk. Nighthawk dishes out more of his vision of justice in his neighborhood. Emil (Smarty pants) is offered a deal by the NSA to figure out how to handle members of the squadron should they present a danger to the US. Mark gets an unexpected visitors during a photo op, which leads into the next issue.

Also picked Fables and She-Hulk.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I mentioned it in the Donner Superman thread, but there was interesting news in the latest CSN that Donner will be co-plotting Action Comics starting in October. I believe this came out at Comicon, so all of you probably already know about it. I don't really read comic news online, so I didn't. I was also interested to hear that a second Avengers book will start soon.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I've got to say, the Donner/Johns Action news terrifies me. Donner hasn't written anything (that I know of) in decades, and Johns is a guy I've never warmed up to. He seems to interested in recreating what he liked when he was first reading comics as a teenager, with very little new to contribute. Besides, I think the shadow Donner's rendition of Superman is currently casting over the character in other media is far from a good thing.
On a seperate note: Could any of you guys check your local comic shops (especially if anyone from the UK is reading this) and see if you can find a copy of 2000 AD #1478? My local shop didn't get it from their distributor when it came out a few months ago, and I've been idly letting that weekly comic pile up while I try to find one, and now that pile is eighteen books high!

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
One thing I learned late in the game is that comic books (and their creators) have a serious "little brother" syndrome. Meaning they absolutely need the validation that comes from what they perceive as "higher mediums" - films, television, even books - taking an interest They get excited when these people mention liking comics or, gasp, even wanting to work on a few. Today, there is immense crossover, but I still see that little bit of inferiority rear it's ugly head. Why is Donner "writing" (probably contributing with Johns doing the actual writing) a comic series for Supes the biggest thing in Superman comics history (as they have sold it)? Maybe the guy has some nice ideas, but movies aren't comics. TV isn't comics. Novels aren't comics.

Crossover is hard because the mediums are not that similar.

I'm not complaining about Donner, mind you. Good for him. Just commenting on the desire for mainstream acceptance so prevalent among publishers (and that they pass to their fanboys). I am way more excited for Busiek's big S than Donner's.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Chuck Mayer said:
Why is Donner "writing" (probably contributing with Johns doing the actual writing).
That's my assumption. It seems like whenever they get a particularly big name to write comics, it usually takes the form of "idea contributor/project guru" instead of full scripting. Like how Marvel's Dark Tower is actually being written by Peter David, IIRC, not Stephen King.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I agree completely with the above. The best comics are the ones that take full advantage of the medium, with little concern for adapting to other mediums. Something always has to go, either the visuals don't translate or the interior character dialogs get lost, and usually both because comics are for kids and inherantly dumb, right?

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
I picked up The Watchmen by Alan Moore this week along with 4 of my regular titles that came in the last few weeks. Looking forward to sitting down and reading this one. I got through V for Vendetta in a couple of days, so I'm sure this will be a quick read too.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I strongly suspect that if you read something by Alan Moore quickly, you're not doing it right. The man has been known to turn in pages of script for a single panel, and just pack even his Rob Liefeld books with detail that demands time be taken.
And, you know, I really don't worry too much about guys from other media working in another, especially if it's a collaborative one like comics. If the project is well-managed, then each participant will be working to his strengths and be picked up by the other people involved. The thing is, Donner isn't really a writer and Johns is a hack. Mr. Kubert is going to have to carry this whole thing.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I love Adam Kubert. I don't like Johns much. Donner's Supes was thematically Manciewicz if rumors are to be believed. I don't see Donner adding much. But I'll buy it for Kubert :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks