What's new

Comics: The Weekly Rundown (was Heroes Con 2006) (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Greg_S_H said:
Millar is usually against that. He sells hard, but he's a $2.99 advocate. I bought the issue and just assumed it was jumbly size. I won't get to it for a while as I read one a day and try to have one for every day until comic day, and All-New X-Men comes first.
I assumed it was jumbo too since I think one of the last issues of Kick-Ass was $5 but had a significant increase in page count. My whining aside, Hit-Girl really gets down to business in this one so it's a cool issue.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
They kind of have us at this point. "Kick-Ass Vol. 3, final issue, 19 pages, $7.99!"
ecbd493c_shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpeg

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Travis, after reading All-New X-Men 7, I would really recommend it to you even if you aren't a big fan of the characters. It really does have the Ultimate Spider-Man vibe (helped by the David Marquez art), and I think you could make sense of things without going back to the first six if you don't want. Read it off the rack anyway. :)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Greg_S_H said:
They kind of have us at this point. "Kick-Ass Vol. 3, final issue, 19 pages, $7.99!"
ecbd493c_shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpeg
There's never been a more true picture. :D I have a buddy that I think reads All New X-Men. I'll see if I can borrow the issues off of him or take the cheap man's route and read it in the store. EDIT: Jupiter's Legacy seems like it could be really good.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
If I pick up Marvel comics nowadays, it's in the $0.50 bins at local quarterly comic shows these days.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
The current issue of Thor--I think it's 7--was a whole lot of fun. I picked up the first NOW issue and didn't really get it, so I stopped. Something made me pick up the issues I missed, and I'm on board. There are a lot of laughs to be had in the curent one, namely the scenes between Thor and . . . someone he first assumes to be Odin. Hilarious and cool stuff. How about a Viking ship traveling through space? And the promise of lots and lots of spacesharks next issue? I was allergic to Jason Aaron when I first encountered him via Ghost Rider and Weapon-X, but I'm really into his Wolverine and the X-Men and now Thor.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I didn't go. There are always a lot of little kids and their parents who are like, "Why are you here?" I just hope for leftovers on Wed.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Greg_S_H said:
I didn't go. There are always a lot of little kids and their parents who are like, "Why are you here?" I just hope for leftovers on Wed.
I like to avoid crowds and make sure that I'll get what I want so I get to my store about when they open and in past years, there's always been a handful of parents and kids (mostly those who only come in the store once a year when something is free) but this year, my shop was packed with kids and adults. It did look like people were actually buying stuff in addition to taking lots of freebies though. On the plus side, I didn't waste a half hour BSing with the guys running the store like I normally do.

The Walking Dead has a very cool free book for the people who only buy the trades. It has the three short stories (originally published in other books) that had never been collected in the individual trades. The book also contains an all-new story about Tyrese.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
That was fucking hilarious. I thought the gravesite scene was going to be the highlight, but then we got the against-type pool hall scene. Against type because normally the heroes would act tough and get their asses kicked. Instead, it was like the fully visible "invisible man" from Amazon Women, who thought he was messing with everyone at the pub but was met with bored indifference.

Great start. I hope Dave doesn't end up dead like is hinted at in the end editorial.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Anyone still reading DCs New52? The villains month crap looks like a good time to cancel a bunch of titles to me... :laugh:

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Russell G said:
Anyone still reading DCs New52? The villains month crap looks like a good time to cancel a bunch of titles to me... :laugh:
After almost 2 years, I'm down to probably a handful of titles (Batgirl, Earth-2, Supergirl, Wonder Woman, World's Finest), and that's getting chopped down when James Robinson's run on Earth-2 is done soon. I quit Green Lantern when Johns left last month. Quit the Flash because it was simply boring. Quit all of their $3.99 titles when the price went up within the first year (like Batman). DC Editorial has chased off a lot of good writing talent with their interference and presumeably marketing-driven plotlines.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Patrick Sun said:
DC Editorial has chased off a lot of good writing talent with their interference and presumeably marketing-driven plotlines.
A friend was telling me the same thing the other day but we got sidetracked on more important matters (it was either the deficit or quantum physics or, most likely, Star Wars) so he didn't elaborate. Am I correct in assuming that DC has delivered an edict for a crossover or a costume change or specific guest stars, etc. or is it something else?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
TravisR said:
A friend was telling me the same thing the other day but we got sidetracked on more important matters (it was either the deficit or quantum physics or, most likely, Star Wars) so he didn't elaborate. Am I correct in assuming that DC has delivered an edict for a crossover or a costume change or specific guest stars, etc. or is it something else?
No it's something else. Apparently Williams III on Batwoman has been seeding a villain plot for two years, and has now been told "Nope". Paul Jenkins was told that BATMAN NEVER SITS! It seems to be endless micro managing tripling the workload on the creators.

Unless your name is Scott Snyder, Geoff Johns or Jeff Lemier anyways. I'm still buying way too many but plan to cut down to maybe 5-6 titles. Some books like Stormwatch that mostly worked are now terrible. they dumbed it right down and brought in Lobo, never a good sign. New books like The Green Team look horrendous from the get go. It's clearly a corporate mindset looking to exploit stuff into other media then a comic book company looking to make great comic books. Snydor dropped Swamp Thing after the Rotworld event that kind of fizzled and now it's turned into a dumb superhero book. Phantom Stranger looked cool, except it's about Phantom Stranger wanting to be a dad. I don't know who that book is intended to be for. Constantine as a single title isn't half as good as the Justice League Dark was/is, it just comes off dumb too.

Ugh.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I assume that everyone had to fight mobs of people rushing to the stores for The X-Files: Season 10 #1 today. OK, that probably didn't happen to anyone but as a die hard X-Phile, I gotta say that book nailed the characters' voices and I'm really hopeful about what they can do with the series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks