What's new

Comic Con - How Do You do It? (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
So, my wife and I are traveling to San Diego in two weeks. My wife got us passes for Comic Con on Friday the 24th. I've never been there, so I don't know what to expect. We looked on the website for events planned that day. My wife was interested in a panel involving "The Big Bang Theory" and there is supposedly a "24" event as well.

What do you need to do to get into those events. Is there anything else anyone here recommends? Anyone else here on the forum planning on attending?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
http://planet715.com/2008Comiccon/comicconsurvivalguide.html

http://steamcrow.com/survive-san-diego-comic-con/

http://uglycouchshow.com/comic-con-2009/

Read the last few days of The Beat re: Comicon Day programming:

http://pwbeat.publishersweekly.com/blog/

Also, go to Youtube and search on "comicon lines" or "san diego comicon lines" and take a gander at the insanity of the lines for the popular panels.

I'm considering going next year, haven't been there since 1996 and 1997, and I know it's a totally different experience now then it was then. Just imagine 30,000 people at the San Diego Convention Center each day of Comicon. Lots of people.

Prioritize what you truly want to attend, panel-wise, and be prepared to wait in line if it's popular (look at the other panels at the same time, and do a popularity calculation as to how long you think you need to wait to get a decent seat inside the hall.

Edited by Patrick Sun - 7/13/2009 at 04:32 am GMT

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
I haven't been in years, mainly because of the crowds. If the panel is something high-profile, you'll need to get in line well in advance if you want to guarantee that you'll get in. Some times people get in line hours before, so you could waste the better part of a day just to see that one big event. Some people get there early to get into the room where all the big events are scheduled and then stay all day -- although they might have started clearing it out between events.

The Big Bang panel sounds like it could be easy to get into; 24 could be difficult, particularly if they announce that the actors will be there. So I would say choose your events with care, and be aware that getting from point A to point F can be a little like a salmon swimming upstream to spawn. And try to have fun!

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Saturday is the busiest day, so you might have a slightly easier time on Friday. Still, you will need to prioritize what you want to see and plan to stand in line well in advance of the start time. The more you want to see it, the earlier you should go to queue. Make a backup plan if you can't get in.

That said, I did manage to see a lot of what I wanted. Going with a friend certainly helps.

The most extreme line I was in went from the lobby area of the last meeting hall (Hall H), out the front, and wrapped around the end of the convention center to the facility's back side. Here's a photo I took, which doesn't really do it justice, but it's kind of pretty. :)

I'm considering going next year, haven't been there since 1996 and 1997, and I know it's a totally different experience now then it was then. Just imagine 30,000 people at the San Diego Convention Center each day of Comicon. Lots of people.
I'm thinking I will go again next year also.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by WillG
Is there anything else anyone here recommends?
Secure advance permission from your spouse to ogle the costumed people to your heart's content.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Will_B

Secure advance permission from your spouse to ogle the costumed people to your heart's content.

[SEXIST PIG]Over the past couple of years, the quality of costumed girls at comic conventions has really increased. It used to just be the random fat girl dressed up like some anime character. Nowadays, there's girls that are actually pretty hot.[/SEXIST PIG]

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
There are the ones who are hired by the vendors in a show of shameless pandering. :)

This photo remains my all time most viewed pic on Flickr:

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
there will be some celebrities guest at the autograph section. its upstairs I beleive. you will meet all kinds of celebrities. from movies and tv shows.

Jacob

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
how much does it cost to attend these events? i'm not necessarily interested in any of the panels, etc. just walking around, checking out the booths, etc.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
This year the San Diego Comic-Con 4-day pass was $75

Single days:

Thurs: $25
Fri: $30
Sat: $35
Sun $20

Jacinto

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacinto
I will be parked in Artist's Alley, table BB-12 from Thursday through Sunday, selling my wares and doing sketches. I've been attending since 1993, but this will most likely be my last year. The show has gone from Comics and Art as the focus to Hollywood and Toys in the last decade or so. The crowds have also grown exceedingly tiresome. A simple bathroom break has turned into a half-hour adventure through the streets of Pamplona. If you're at the show, stop by!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks