What's new

Comcast digital audio (1 Viewer)

Chris Homer

Agent
Has anyone got 5.1 out of Comcast digital? I live in Charleston, SC and recently rented Spiderman from On-Demand and hooked up my coax, but only got 2.0. Has anyone been successful with getting true Dolby Digital out of Comcast?

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
currently In Demand our PPV provider does not provide 5.1 audio, 5.1 is only currently available on the major movie channels, HBO east and west, Showtime e & W, TMC, Encore and several of its channels as well as starz and a few of its sub channels.

Elias

Stunt Coordinator
Jeremy, My motorola digital cable box does not have a 5.1 digital out. Does Comcast supply such boxes in Baltimore? My understanding is that I can only get a fancy new box if I have an HDTV. I would very much like to have a box with a digital out, however, since I am very annoyed with the 60 Hz buzz that emanates from the analog out.

Elias

Derek Iverson

Stunt Coordinator
Do they have special receivers available for HDTV's? The cable guy didn't say anything about it the last time he was here. The only thing he said was "nice TV." :)

BTW, I also have Comcast (f.k.a. AT&T Broadband).

Chris Homer

Agent
Thanks for the info Jeremy. This is a real kick in the pants. One of the reasons I got Digital Cable was for the PPV in hopes that I wouldn't have to run to the rental store every weekend, but I guess I will still have to for the DD and it doesn't look like there is any letterbox offerings like they have on satellite.

Oh well, once again thanks.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
Elias do you have a computer or other "grounded device" (anything with a 3 prong cord) connected to anything in your home theater system? if so you have created a ground loop with the cable box hence the loud hum you get through the analog jacks and unfortunately it probably wouldnt go away with a digital out. the only way to stop this hum is either ground loop isolators or by not using both devices at the same time (i.e. the Cable box and whatever is a grounded device.)

Derek I'm not sure if Portland market is offering HDTV yet you should probably call the local sales # there and ask. Unfortunately I only know truely what we offer here in Washington, each city has its own call center so we dont deal with stuff out of state.

And Chris I'm sorry for having to give you the bad new I to hate that they dont offer WS or 5.1 yet but I know that In-Demand is working on some pretty cool stuff here very soon. What I cant wait for is In-Demand On Demand where you can rewind pause fastward etc a movie and they'll also be doing it with TV show where you can pick when you want to watch your favorite show and pause it rewind it etc not to mention watch it any time of day/week than it normally airs and best part of that will be is that it will be no extra charge on top of the cable, and the In-Demand On Demand movies will be same price as regular PPV it will be awesome.

Elias

Stunt Coordinator
Jeremy, My home theater system is connected to its own dedicated power supply. The problem unfortunately lies with the digital cable box.

Elias

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
because the only time I've ever had a problem with humming with the digital box was when I had my computer hooked up to my system at the same time thus creating a ground loop between the 2. once I disco'd the computer it worked perfect.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
sweet! its about damn time:) hehe I know that when VOD comes online here in Washington (by years end by what I've heard) that Starz will also have a VOD channel with us.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
Also you see the systems that are used for VOD its quite amzing, multi terrabyte drive arrays each movie is spread accross multible drives I believe its around 7 minutes per drive to help prevent bandwidth issues etc its quite awesome to see.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
In-Demand is PPV but it will depend on your market as to when you'll be able to utlilize it I'm sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks