What's new

Combining cable and antenna signal (1 Viewer)

WilliamC

Stunt Coordinator
Been away fro a long time guys but i'm back. I just bought an outdoor antenna so i can get my upn and wb in stereo because my cable provider will not send me a stereo signal. I have a direct tv system and would like to have it how it is now s-vid connection directly to tv no coax at all. then have the combine antenna signal with the cable tv signal hooked up to my tv so i can watch my upn and wb in stereo and still be able to see the cable. How can this be done? I tried combining the signal using a splitter backwards but it doesn't work am i doing something wrong.
Thanks

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Using a splitter in reverse will not work, you need a diplexor to combine the signals. On the other end, you will also need a diplexor to split the signals back out. One coax will go to the DirecTV receiver and one to the TV. As far as I know there aren't any DirecTV receivers that will tune in a standard definition signal and pass it through the s-video.
-Robert

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Can't do it.
Coming down your cable TV feed you have all of: a channel 2, a channel 3, etc. on up to 126 or so. Coming from your antenna you have some of: a channel 2, channel 3, etc. on up to 83 or so. Commingled using a backwards splitter you get total interference. (Actually a few channels above 13 do not interfere for cable vs. over the air NTSC broadcasts but I don't recall which.)
What you need is a coax switch box to choose between cable TV and antenna. Radio Shack sells these.
Another way is to connect the antenna to your TV antenna terminal, the cable TV box to your VCR antenna terminal, your VCR to your TV via composite video in Video 1, while your DSS stays connected to your TV via S-video on Video 2.
Other video hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm
[Edited last by Allan Jayne on October 22, 2001 at 02:18 PM]
[Edited last by Allan Jayne on October 22, 2001 at 02:20 PM]

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
Multiplexer on the front end and a diplexer at the other end to separate the signals. Spaun makes outstanding products (although expensive) but there are more inexpensive solutions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks