What's new

Columbia House (1 Viewer)

Dan M~

Second Unit
Does anyone have suggestions for reducing the shipping costs from Columbia House? They charge 7.99/each to ship season sets.

Looking for guidance...

Dan M~

David_Rivshin

Second Unit
You can wait until the next free shipping period, where you get free shipping if you buy 3 or more items. Unfortunately you just missed the last one (ended a week ago), so it might be awhile until the next one. They do tend to come up around the holiday shopping season, so if you can wait until then that might be your best bet.
I generally buy season sets and other large items outside of CH, as it's otherwise too much of a pain. I believe there is a new CH club which makes getting season sets much easier if there's alot you want, but I've never used it.

Check out DVDTalk.com's CH forum for a wealth of good information. There's a certain art behind getting the best deal from CH, and all that information is invaluable.

Hope this helps,
-- Dave

Jim-M

Second Unit
- Wait for free shipping
- Buy a bunch of sets at once and the shipping will max out at $15
- Currently box sets are 40% off so that will help defray the shipping costs somewhat
- Supposedly if you order within the first 24 hours of receiving your acceptance email (from online application) you will get free shipping with 3 items

Dan M~

Second Unit
Jim and David,

Thanks for the help. I was just checking for any "tricks" that I could use. Thanks again.

-Dan M~

Lee Bombard

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lee

OK...what am I doing wrong? I tried to register and it wants a darn account number. How do I get an account number unless I register?

Maybe it's me...

Greg Madsen

Second Unit

On the homepage DO NOT click "Register Now" that is for members registering for the site. To sign up as a new member, click "sign up today and get a free dvd"

It does cost $9.95 a year to join but you get a free dvd and no shipping and the prices are great.

The Free DVD choices are:

Shrek(Single Disc Edition)(Full)
Bruce Almighty
American Wedding(R-Rated)
The Matrix Reloaded
The Matrix
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines
S.W.A.T.
The Italian Job
X2 X-Men United
Lost In Translation
Radio
Once Upon A Time In Mexico
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
Seabiscuit
Anger Management
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (TM)
The Hulk
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
2 Fast 2 Furious
Spider-Man
28 Days Later
Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle(Unrated)
8 Mile
Legally Blonde 2: Red, White & Blonde
Ice Age
Gladiator(Single Disc Edition)
Old School Unrated And Out Of Control!
Bad Boys II
How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days
The Fast And The Furious
Die Another Day
Barbershop
The Wizard Of Oz
Daredevil
Freddy Vs. Jason Platinum Series
Catch Me If You Can
Titanic
A Man Apart
XXX
The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen
Daddy Day Care
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Kangaroo Jack
Uptown Girls
Drumline
Maid in Manhattan
The Green Mile
BarneyTM's Beach Party
Brown Sugar

Michael Douglas

Stunt Coordinator
Right now, for whatever reason, those 40% off box sets are showing up as 55% off in the FunCash shopping cart. So even if you only have $1 of FunCash, this is a major savings, outdoing even Deep Discount DVD during the 20% off sales.

Apparently the shipping charge max is $15, so a good way to maximize on this is to buy a few box sets. There are a few sets that don't get 55% off when you try this, but most seem to work.

SteveK

Supporting Actor
I agree with the DV2 recommendations. I find their prices to be comparable to or a few dollars lower than DeepDiscountDVD for most titles, and I particularly enjoy not receiving any titles unless I order them (no automatic shipments). I've finally cancelled my ColumbiaHouse membership, and now have only the DV2 membership. Strange how a club that is actually just another division of ColumbiaHouse can be a much better club, with lower prices, free shipping and no automatic selections.

I've been very pleased with them so far, and heartily recommend them.

Steve K.

Greg Madsen

Second Unit
Yes I order a lot from DV2. I just found the regular prices at Columbia House too high. Even when taking advantage of sales it wasn't much of a bargain.

Here are some dv2 prices on items I recently ordered:

Young Adam $14.98
West Side Story Special Edition $17.99
Gone With The Wind 4 Disc $23.95
Baadasssss! $14.98
Diff'Rent Strokes: The Complete First Season $17.97
Iron Giant Special Edition $11.98
Moulin Rouge 2 Disc $17.99
Black Hawk Down 3 Disc $23.98
Hitchcock Signature Collection $59.95
Madtv Season 1 $23.99
Wonder Woman Season 1 $23.99
Katharine Hepburn & Spencer Tracy:Signature Collection 23.95

No Tax, No Shipping and you earn Funcash!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks