What's new

Columbia House DVD club worth it? (1 Viewer)

Anthony*B

Stunt Coordinator
an odd question...i'm betting there's a scam in there somewhere, but is it worth it to try the Columbia House "get 6 DVD's for a penny" thing? I got a mailing from them & there are several movies on the list I wouldn't mind getting....I would love to hear from anyone w/ experience w/ Columbia House, good or bad, in relation to the DVD Club thing...

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
There are some deals that are better than others... CH is a well known way to get a bunch of DVDs for $8 each (if you know what deals and how to do it)... I did it in the past, doing the quick hit- call, order, cancel type memberships (and repeating and repeating). You can gut all the good stuff they have by joining a couple times...

Ignore the mailers you get, and instead watch the bargain area here, or check the huge and ongoing information compiled on dvdtalk:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=117091

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=107726

You can find the best coupon codes, and they also list the best "bang for the buck" titles (the best deals versus MSRP) and then also tell you which are the best titles to buy to fulfill your contract with them. Beginning to end, they have it wired.

-Vince

DaveMart

Auditioning
I'll second Vince's opinion. It's a good way to build a moderate collection pretty quickly for less than $8 a pop. Those guys at dvdtalk really know what they're doing.

BobAZ

Stunt Coordinator
Anything CH mails you is definitely not the best offer. You need to follow Vince's links to DVDTalk and learn how to play CH's game.

My recent averages have been ~$7/DVD. I can't stand to pay even $15 for new releases anymore, let alone the $20 normal price. CH has me hooked. They have codes that allow you to fulfill with pre-orders of new titles so you're not stuck waiting for 2-3 months as before.

They don't carry all titles and I still buy from B&M and online when necessary.

I like to think of it this way...for the same money, my collection will be 2-3 times larger buying through CH.

Rick J

Stunt Coordinator
The main keys are:
1) enroll
2) fulfill (your membership)
3) cancel (your membership)
4) re-enroll

When enrolling, the key is to use a code that includes free s/h on your order. The second key is to make sure the code has a low fulfillment requirement (ie: 2-3 in the next 2 years). Good luck and have fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks