1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Color, Calibration and HTPCs

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Andy Olivera, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Andy Olivera

Andy Olivera Well-Known Member

Hi all. I'm looking to confirm that I've calibrated my HTPC correctly and searching the net has been pretty much useless due to all the variables(cards, drivers, connections).

My setup is an nVidia 9400GT video card connected via DVI-HDMI to a Panny 50PZ85. I began by setting the TV to the same settings I use for my PS3(calibrated with Avia). The signal from the PC looks okay, but if I load up Avia the test patterns show me I'm not getting the full range(regardless of how I adjust the black level on my TV, the lowest IREs are never visible). The PC is set to output video levels(16-235).

By adjusting at the PC level I get what appears to be the full range of color, but there are two options to get there: Brightness and Gamma. Right now I've adjusted the Gamma, leaving everything else at default. The grey steps and ramps look good(except for a slight blue tint at the dark end of the spectrum, but that's not something I want to mess with without a color analyzer). My question is, should I be adjusting the Brightness, instead? I know how Brightness works, obviously, but Gamma is a bit unfamiliar to me(don't ask me why I chose that method, then).

All help is appreciated. Thanks!