What's new

Coen Brothers SEs please? (1 Viewer)

Chris Cheese

Stunt Coordinator
All I was saying was that if folks haven't seen the film before, they're not going to know the difference with some minor cuts that reportedly don't make that much of a difference. I didn't anyway - I just saw a great film. And in my previous post I acknowledged that I understood why people might be upset, and I never asked anyone to "explain themselves". Stop being so combative.

Also, I'd love a minute or two of the end of Hey Jude to be cut. Love the Beatles, but that song just gets on my nerves. :)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Combative? Moi? ;)

Doug,
Try this.
Five years from now the Coens have rethunk The Big Lebowski. Some of the jokes don't work for them anymore and they think much of the music needs to be redone. A new format, Super DVD, is now inplace and they release The NEW Big Lebowski.
The one you loved and got to know so well is no longer available.
I know you won't mind. :)

Chris,
Robert Zemeckis has 20 years of filming under his belt since Back to the Future.
He's embarrassed by some of the shots and wants to make use of the latest CGI.
A younger audience has never seen the original film and have no sense of history, so they don't care. You won't care either cause it's just a few changes. The old version isn't available anyway so why get uptight?

Next....I don't think the Germans got a fair shake in Casablanca...we can fix it!
:D

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
We've been through this many many times before.

It's the director's film, they can do what they like with it. You have the right not to purchase it.

The only problem I had with the Blood Simple DVD was that it was single-layer. I had no problem with the cut of the film.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, back then, Joel was an assistant editor on low-budget horror films like "The Evil Dead" and Ethan was a department store accountant. By the time they improved and tightened "Blood Simple" up, they had made such classics as "Raising Arizona", "Miller's Crossing", "Barton Fink", and "Fargo". They were clearly more experienced when they revisited the movie and the edits they made were all improvements. There's another thread where I go into further detail as to why I agree with every edit made. For the record, I would be all for a DVD release that presented both versions of the film. The "Dawn of the Dead" ultimate edition is amazing and it's always interesting to watch different cuts of a film. However, I think it's somewhat ridiculous to skip out on 98% of a movie you like when the directors themselves have removed the 2% in question, especially in a case like this when the 2% is undeniably inconsequential. You're not losing a "Rosebud" or a "I am your father" or anything essential to the story in the least, and it's not as if some lazy employee at the authoring plant goofed when he was mastering the DVD, and it's not as if it's a rights issue. It's a minor artistic decision made by the artists themselves.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

I was referring to the nature of your response, not the fact that you have a problem with the current DVD incarnation of Blood Simple.

ChristianLiemke

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian Liemke

:D You don't need to fix it ... just watch the 1952 German dub version! This one's shortened and all Nazis and references to them were cut. A totally different movie.

It's not available on VHS or DVD but I have a VHS copy from a scratchy print in my collection.

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
Hi, Henry-

I definitely agree with you that an original film
should stay original, or at least the original film
should be offered as an option on DVD. I haven't
bought the re-thought verions of the Star Wars movies,
and I don't intend to.

The Coen Brothers film that really needs an SE is
Raising Arizona. One of my all-time favorite films.
:D

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Jeff,
You are a gentleman and next time I'm in Allentown I'll drive down and buy you a drink. ;)

Henry

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
Eye-eye-eye, I can't believe it takes a whole thread of posts before Jeff hits the nail on the head with

I second that, and how. She's a T-I-G-E-R!

Please please please.

MC

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
Yeah, Micah, at the very lease let's see an updated
video transfer. If a SE ever comes out, I hope it will
have a commentary track with the Coens, Cage and
Goodman. That would be fun to listen to.:D

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
Yeah, I love HUDSUCKER for many reasons, and I like many of their other films (they are master filmmakers and I respect them), but nothing touches RAISING ARIZONA for sheer nightmarish nuttiness and dialogue repeatability. Not a day goes by when I can't answer a drawling "Well, okay then," to some dumb ass response I get from some corporate numbskull. It's the realization of a real warped Warner Bros cartoon sensibility translated to live action film. Plus, it really is the best thing Nic Cage ever done excepting LEAVING LAS VEGAS.

It was one of the first DVDs I purchased, and I was immediately disgusted and brought it back for its crappy non-ana print and lame production. (HUDSUCKER is little better, true.) And have been waiting ever since for a better DVD, worthy of my money. The studios are missing out on this one.

"We released ourselves on our own recognizance."

Give me an SE!

MC

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks