What's new

Coax Digital Audio - Two Outputs Into One Receiver Input (1 Viewer)

John_ryr

Auditioning
Hi, relative newbie that has been browsing this forum for a few weeks now, but have yet to find an answer to a problem I have. I recently bought a new sony (STR DE885) receiver which has ONE coax digital audio output. The DVD player is currently connected to that (No optical output from DVD) but I would like to also use the coax digital audio output from my digital cable into the reciever. Any suggestions for this. I know that parts express has a coax/optical converter, which would then require me to buy both cables. Could I just pruchase a really good Y connector (2 female to 1 male) and feed both to the same input?

Thanks!

John_ryr

Auditioning
Thanks Armand.
What type of A/B switch did you use, if any? I'd rather stay away from an A/B switch unless I can get one I can control remotely (IR) via my Philips Pronto.

Does anyone know if a Y-connector would work??

Armand G

Stunt Coordinator
I don't use either of them. I'd also rather not use a switch but until now I don't know what the consequence is when using a Y splitter. I just posted the question this week hoping for anyone who can explain what happens when using a Y splitter. I am very curious you know.

I think we just have to wait for someone who can explain a little concerning the two options.

John_ryr

Auditioning
Maybe next time I will look when your original post was made - I did not realize it was only two days ago!

It seems that many people have veiwed the thread, so maybe someone can respond to it.

Also isn't dolby digital and AC-3 one and the same? I think we are talking about the same type of cabling here.

Armand G

Stunt Coordinator
No problem.

They are not quite the same. Dolby Digital can be 1.0, 2.0 .... 5.1. AC-3 what it was called in the laserdisc days, I am still a huge fan btw. AC-3 stands for 5.1 audio. In other words a LD encoded with AC-3 contains almost always 5.1 audio. Offcourse there are some exceptions.

When dvd was introduced there was a lot of confusion over dvd's containing Dolby Digital. People were automatically under the impression that DD=5.1. Not. When they played there discs at home they noticed that a lot of them were only DD 2.0..

Regards,
Armand

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
AC-3 stands for 5.1 audio.
Sorry, but that's not correct. "AC-3" stands for "audio codec 3" and is synonymous with "Dolby Digital". In fact, when the first DD LDs were released, the format was commonly referred to as "Dolby Digital AC-3".

What distinguished the question in your earlier thread was the addition of the letters "RF". To answer John's question: Dolby Digital was encoded differently on laserdisc than on DVD and required a specialized output (commonly known as "AC-3 RF") and additional processing circuitry. However, the cabling for a laserdisc AC-3 RF output was the same as for a standard coaxial digital output.

M.

Armand G

Stunt Coordinator
Michael,

That's what I meant. I know it means audio codec 3. What I meant was that AC-3 equals 5.1 audio. Sorry that I wasn't to clear on the subject.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
What I meant was that AC-3 equals 5.1 audio.
Armand, I know that's what you meant, but it's not correct. AC-3 is the name for the codec used in all DD encoding, from 5.1 to 1.0. It is not, and never has been, used by Dolby as a synonym for "5.1".

M.

John_ryr

Auditioning
OK. Enough of the definitions. The burning question is whether a splitter can be used for coax digital audio.

Any comments??

Armand G

Stunt Coordinator
You're probably right. The last thing I want to say about it is that a lot of people are confused concerning DD and AC-3.

Can you help us with our dilemma?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Any comments??
Same comment as in Armand's thread, linked to above: You're better off using an A/B switch.

Could you use a splitter? Sure. Will you encounter any problems if you do? No idea. I doubt many people here have tried it. Maybe you can report back on your experience.

M.

Armand G

Stunt Coordinator
Ok. I guess the only way to tell for certain is to buy a splitter and test it.

I hoped since, there are a lot of enthusiasts on the forum, that one of them had tried this already or compared it to a switch.

Armand G

Stunt Coordinator
Please let me know what your experiences are, since you'll have the splitter before I do.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
There's no doubt that it will work. The real question is are there any consequences in doing so. Just make sure you don't output both signals at the same time. Even though the voltages are fairly low, by having two signals at the same time, you will get doubling of voltages and I am sure that this is not recommended. Why take chances?

John_ryr

Auditioning
Well, I bought a coaxial digital cable and a splitter. I hooked up the cables, but with failed results. See, the coax in on my receiver is marked DVD/LD in. I think I would have to reconnect my cable's s-video to the DVD connection each time for it to work correctly.

Looks like I'm going with the coax-to-optical piece on parts express, which means one of each cable...

Armand G

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry to hear that John. I think I am going to use one LD player for AC-3 and the other one for DTS. I that case I don't have to use a switch or a splitter.

Good luck!

Regards,
Armand

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks