1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Coax cable for dvd has arrows.......but

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Brad Newton, Jul 8, 2003.

1. Brad Newton

Brad Newton Well-Known Member

does that mean the arrows go toward the dvd player or the receiver?

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Well-Known Member

Are you sure this is a coaxial-digital cable and not a Subwoofer cable?

To prevent ground-loops, subwoofer cables often have the shield DISCONNECTED at one end and they have little arrows pointing in the direction of the sub.

Coaxial-Digital cables are simply Video cables and should have the shield connected at both ends. Video/Coaxial Digital cables are also all made with something called "75 ohm Coax". But subwoofer cables can be made with any of the popular coax types: 50, 75, 110, 300.

So check the cable to make sure it's a video/coaxial-digital cable. Even the wrong cable will appear to work, but people have noticed audio drop-outs every few minutes with the wrong cable.

3. David Preston

David Preston Well-Known Member

I think I noticed that on mine also. I can't check right now but I'll let you know later. I believe the arrows are going to the receiver.

4. Steve Owen

Steve Owen Well-Known Member

In general, the arrow would point in the direction that the signal is going. In your case, from the DVD player to the receiver. But whether it makes any difference (except in the case that Bob pointed out) is a matter of debate.

-Steve

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Well-Known Member

John
    Coax cables can have the same directionality as other audio cables, though it seems to be less common on digital cables. As Steve notes, the arrows should point from the source to the receiver/amp.