What's new

Closed Captions in R2 region (1 Viewer)

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
I have some DVD players that sense closed captions. When I was in the USA it does indeed work. My TV accepts AV input for PAL and NTSC. Is there a special blabk box that one can buy so that I can see closed Captions on my TV???

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
Closed captioning on North American DVDs is not compatible with European TV sets as you've noticed. In Europe, the equivalent of closed captions is provided via the teletext service for broadcast TV, and this is not supported on DVDs.

I am unaware of any set-top solutions available in Europe. I wonder if such devices even exist, since nearly all TV sets in North America support closed captions. There probably isn't a market for them.

Your best bet is to use an HTPC solution since most DVD playback software support closed captions. If your TV set can accept a video signal from a computer, this is the most cost-effective method.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
FYI - I have a number of R1 DVDs with CC and my DVD players support CC as I proved when I was in the US.

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
It's not the DVD player, it's the TV set that supports the CC. That's why it worked in the US but not in Europe, where the equivalent of the CC standard is different.

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit
Close Caption decoders used to be available in the UK to decode CC on PAL VHS tapes. Have never heard on them here for DVD though. Guess this is because companies in the UK use the subtitles rather than CC option on DVDs.

For VHS they used to work as a decoder box sitting between the VHS output and TV, whilst there were a few VHS recorders with the decoder built in.

You could try contacting www.rnid.org.uk
The RNID is the main deaf charity in the UK and they sell this type of stuff, my dad has an induction loop for his TV via them. There may be similar in Germany where you appear to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks