What's new

CLEOPATRA Region Free BRD (2 Viewers)

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
Hollowbrook Drive-In said:
Please elaborate on this odd statement (you don't think that Kodak, Fuji, et al didn't have have dedicated equipment for producing 16mm stock, negative, print and reversal?).
And, in the 1970's, when Kodak introduced 110 format pocket still cameras, you know what 110 film was?
Yup -- 16mm film with different perforations. The whole idea was to maximize the use of their 16mm film production capacity, so they designed a still camera around it.
Odd perhaps but also quite accurate.
Please see Richard W. Haines' "Techicolor Movies", pp. 30-31.
Double-rank printing used 35mm matrices and stock with two 16mm images. After printing, the two images were cut apart. The stock was perforated for 16mm use.
Single-rank used 16mm matrices.
Double-rank was considered better because their were fewer registration problems.
You are right that other companies had their negative, print, and reversal stock. That is not particularly relevant to IB Tech.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
rsmithjr said:
Like I said, I adjusted it to match my memory.
Same here but Billy is right - Fox should revisit the colors when they release the big US boxset. With a properly adjusted set this should look correct out of the box.

adklz

Agent
Real Name
jim
Received my copy from AmazonUK yesterday. Hopefully I'll get to watch it tomorrow. Disc 1 was off it's spindle and floating around in the case and has a couple small scratches so I need to find out quickly if there's any problems with it. I did take a quick look at the first few minutes last night and I definitely see the bluish quality to the picture that many of you are talking about.
I do have one question for those of you who have already watched this thing. Has anyone done any comparison listening between the 5.1 and 4.0 soundtracks and any comments on the differences between the two?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by adklz /t/315158/cleopatra-region-free-brd/240#post_3900284
Received my copy from AmazonUK yesterday. Hopefully I'll get to watch it tomorrow. Disc 1 was off it's spindle and floating around in the case and has a couple small scratches so I need to find out quickly if there's any problems with it. I did take a quick look at the first few minutes last night and I definitely see the bluish quality to the picture that many of you are talking about.
I do have one question for those of you who have already watched this thing. Has anyone done any comparison listening between the 5.1 and 4.0 soundtracks and any comments on the differences between the two?
Same thing happened to my copy. I'm sure we're not alone on that regard.

rayman1701

Second Unit
Real Name
Ray Miller
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford /t/315158/cleopatra-region-free-brd/240#post_3900290
Same thing happened to my copy. I'm sure we're not alone on that regard.
Fortunately mine arrived with both discs attached to their hubs. I guess I got lucky that my package wasn't tossed around or handled by Mr. Clumsy Hands

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Well, I ordered CLEOPATRA from Amazon UK on Feb 3. It was sent out on Feb9. Estimated delivery date was Feb 17. Still waiting. Now the Amazon Cleo site says "cannot be delivered to default address." I am in contact with Amazon to find out what is going on. Any one else having same problem?

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
It takes me up to three weeks to receive some Amazon UK shipments here in Brooklyn, though most make it here in a week or even five days. I'd hold tight until March 1 unless some other problem is uncovered.

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Amazon UK just informed me that CLEOPATRA can't be ordered and I received a refund. This really sucks! Where the hell is the US release?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by trajan /t/315158/cleopatra-region-free-brd/240#post_3900587
Amazon UK just informed me that CLEOPATRA can't be ordered and I received a refund. This really sucks! Where the hell is the US release?
Probably not due until its anniversary next year. I've heard nothing about an imminent release here.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
trajan said:
Interesting. I wonder if Fox pressured them to stop the flow...

adklz

Agent
Real Name
jim
This sounds very odd. I ordered Cleopatra from AmazonUK on Feb. 8. It was shipped out on the 14th and I received it on the 22nd. You might try ordering it through Wowhd(formerly CDWow). They've got it listed at $23.99 w/ shipping. I've ordered cd's from them in the past with no problems. Good luck.
http://www.wowhd.us/blu-ray/cleopatra-50th-anniversary-edition-blu-ray/dp/25390797#bc=6f67

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I think it is more likely that Amazon.UK is out of stock and that the current low-priced offering is from a third party seller who does not ship to the USA. If you click on the preferred merchant, it says it is indigostarfish.com.

rayman1701

Second Unit
Real Name
Ray Miller
Whats really weird is looking at other titles that I've ordered in the past, Ben Hur, Gone With The Wind, Zodiac (that just shipped this week) and Cleopatra and one region free title that I just chose at random, Dr. Zhivago none can now be shipped to my address. However a couple others that I ordered recently Silverado and WWE Summerslam 2011 are still available. I think that maybe with the sale they had been running that some titles may have sold out from the main site for now. It's kinda weird looking at The Tudors series that I got a couple of months ago, 2 seasons can ship t o me, and 2 can't. So I bet it's just a stock issue.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
excellent pq and aq so far! I'm about 45 mintues in....And I like the movie too. But I'm a sucker for historical epics.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
rayman1701 said:
Whats really weird is looking at other titles that I've ordered in the past, Ben Hur, Gone With The Wind, Zodiac (that just shipped this week) and Cleopatra and one region free title that I just chose at random, Dr. Zhivago none can now be shipped to my address.  However a couple others that I ordered recently Silverado and WWE Summerslam 2011 are still available.  I think that maybe with the sale they had been running that some titles may have sold out from the main site for now.  It's kinda weird looking at The Tudors series that I got a couple of months ago, 2 seasons can ship t o me, and 2 can't.  So I bet it's just a stock issue.
It's works the other way across the Atlantic as well. I can order most things from Amazon.com but now and again they say they cannot ship a particular item to the UK. But then, later on, I find I can order it. Seems to make no sense. Thing is to wait awhile and try again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks